Looking northeast towards the former Lombard Street City Morgue at 86 Lombard St, in the St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto. Construction began on the morgue, the city’s third, in 1907 and was completed the following year. It was in use for 68 years and closed in 1975. The heritage-designated building was then home to the Pauline McGibbon Cultural Centre from 1979 until the mid-1980s.
In recent years, the former morgue was in use by the Fred Victor organization as a women’s hostel. There are plans to build a mixed-use development called 100 Lombard. In the proposal, the old morgue building would be relocated about 35 m east to be directly next to Fire Hall No. 5 at 110 Lombard St.