Looking southeast towards the corner of Cherry St and Front St E in Toronto’s West Don Lands neighbourhood. The building, once home to the Canary Restaurant (as shown in the archive photo), has quite a long history and has undergone several construction phases.
It began as the Palace Street School in 1859. An extension was added in 1890 for The Irvine House, later becoming the Cherry Street Hotel, D’Arcy Hotel, then the Eastern Star Hotel. In the early 1920s, a warehouse was added to the building’s east side. Today the heritage-designated building is being incorporated into the Canary House development.
- Photo: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photo: City of Toronto Archives