Ukrainian Evangelical Baptist Church, formerly Memorial Baptist Church and originally Tecumseth Street Baptist Church, is located at 148 Tecumseth St (at Richmond St W on the northwest corner) in the Niagara neighbourhood of Toronto.
Built in 1896/97 at the cost of $10,000, architects Langley & Langley designed the church in the Arts and Crafts style. The cornerstone was laid in 1897 and under it was a time capsule containing the history of the church and Baptist publications.
In 1950, the building became home to the Ukrainian Evangelical Baptist Church, and in 2005, it received heritage status from the City of Toronto.
Did you know that Richmond St W once called Farley Ave?
Ukrainian Evangelical Baptist Church Photos
- City of Toronto Heritage Register: 148 Tecumseth St
- Ontario Heritage Trust: Places of Worship Database: 148 Tecumseth St
- Ukrainian Evangelical Baptist Church
- The Globe Newspaper Archives: May 3, 1897, pg 6
- Landmarks of Toronto: Volume 4 by J Ross Robertson (1904), pgs 449-451
- Photos: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photos: Toronto Public Library