The Toronto Necropolis is located at 200 Winchester St (on the north side, across the street from Riverdale Farm) in the Cabbagetown neighbourhood of Toronto.
Some of Canada’s Finest Examples of Gothic Revival Architecture
The cemetery itself dates back to 1850 and is on just over 18 acres. The historic burial ground features wandering pathways and natural vistas. Architect Henry Langley (who passed away in 1906 and is buried here) designed the beautiful chapel, open woodwork gates, and superintendent’s lodge, built in 1871/72 at the cost of $8,632. These structures are considered some of the country’s most outstanding examples of Gothic Revival architecture.
The chapel has a large arched stained glass window that lights the nave, a bell tower placed uniquely at the rear over the sacristy and a tri-colour slate roof. A thoughtful design, funeral processions enter through the porch, pass through the nave to the chancel and then through the sacristy to the cemetery grounds.
The Early Settlers of the Town of York
There are 984 Early Settlers of the Town of York re-interred at the Toronto Necropolis. Their remains were moved here from Potter’s Field during the mid to late 1800s. Potter’s Field was the area’s first non-sectarian cemetery and was located at the northwest corner of Yonge and Bloor Sts from 1826 to 1855. There were 6,685 people buried there, and while most were moved, some may still be under the high rises and shops in Yorkville.