Colborne St and Leader Lane in 1972 & 2024

Posted:

Looking northeast from the intersection of Colborne St and Leader Lane in the Old Town, St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto. The archive photo shows Tom Jones Steak House with the steeple of The Cathedral Church of St James in the background.

The three-storey brick building at the corner was built in phases, with much of it constructed in the 1800s. In the late 1870s, the building was occupied by Foster James, who operated a mathematical instruments business. By 1884, Grand & Toy opened their first store. During the stationary company’s occupancy, a two-storey wing was added on the building’s north side. In the mid-1890s, it became the Hub Hotel, then later housed jewel and jewel/watch display case businesses. From the late 1910s until about 1964, the property was the site of Smellie & Sons Ltd, a jewellery manufacturer, who added the third storey on the north wing.

For over half a century, from 1966 to 2021, the building was home to Tom Jones Steak House. Nowadays, the heritage-designated property at 17 Leader Lane/40 Colborne St is commercial space. The office tower surrounding the building’s north and east sides is known as 65 King East.

Then and Now

1972/2024 – Looking northeast from the intersection of Colborne St and Leader Lane in the Old Town, St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto. The archive photo shows Tom Jones Steak House with the steeple of The Cathedral Church of St James in the background. The three-storey brick building at the corner was built in phases, with much of it constructed in the 1800s. In the late 1870s, the building was occupied by Foster James, who operated a mathematical instruments business. By 1884, Grand & Toy opened their first store. During the stationary company's occupancy, a two-storey wing was added on the building's north side. In the mid-1890s, it became the Hub Hotel, then later housed jewel and jewel/watch display case businesses. From the late 1910s until about 1964, the property was the site of Smellie & Sons Ltd, a jewellery manufacturer, who added the third storey on the north wing. For over half a century, from 1966 to 2021, the building was home to Tom Jones Steak House. Nowadays, the heritage-designated property at 17 Leader Lane/40 Colborne St is commercial space. The office tower surrounding the building's north and east sides is known as 65 King East
1972/2024 – Looking northeast from the intersection of Colborne St and Leader Lane in the Old Town, St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 69, Item 28)
SOURCE
  • Photo: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
  • Vintage Photo: City of Toronto Archives
  • City of Toronto: Inclusion on the Heritage Register: 40 Colborne St, report dated Nov 15, 2016

Stay Connected

24,817FollowersFollow
103FollowersFollow
8,850FollowersFollow