Stanley Barracks is located at Exhibition Place in Toronto. Built in 1841, the limestone building was originally the Officers’ Quarters in what was known as the New Fort, a military post established to supplement Fort York. The building was renamed Stanley Barracks in 1893 in honour of Governor General Lord Frederick Stanley.
The barracks later served as public housing, Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame/Hockey Hall of Fame and the Marine Museum of Upper Canada. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973. Today, Stanley Barracks is part of Hotel X Toronto.
- Photo: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photo: City of Toronto Archives