Looking southwest towards Stanley Barracks located at 115 Princes’ Blvd at Exhibition Place in Toronto. Built in 1841, Stanley Barracks was originally the Officers’ Quarters in what was known as the New Fort, a military post established to supplement Fort York.
The fort was renamed Stanley Barracks in 1893 in honour of Governor General Lord Frederick Stanley. Many structures within the fort had been demolished over the years until all that was left was the building we know today as Stanley Barracks. Today, the historic building and its surrounding gardens are part of Hotel X.
- Photo: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photo: City of Toronto Archives