April 1951/2022 – Looking southeast towards Stanley Barracks at Exhibition Place in Toronto. Stanley Barracks was originally the Officers’ Quarters and one of seven limestone buildings at what was known as the New Fort. It was built in 1841 as a British military post by the Royal Engineers to supplement Fort York. In 1893, the fort was renamed Stanley Barracks. Throughout the years, many structures within it were demolished until the only building left standing was the Officers’ Quarters, commonly known as Stanley Barracks. The tall building in the 2022 picture is the Hotel X Toronto.
- Photo: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photo: Toronto Public Library