Looking northeast towards Stanley Barracks at Exhibition Place in Toronto. Built in 1841, the limestone building was originally the Officers’ Quarters in what was known as the New Fort, a military post established to supplement Fort York.
In 1893, the fort was renamed Stanley Barracks in honour of Governor General Lord Frederick Stanley – the same Lord Stanley who donated the NHL’s most prized cup. From 1960 until 2000, the barracks were home to the Marine Museum of Upper Canada. Today Stanley Barracks and its beautifully landscaped gardens are part of Hotel X.
- Photo: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photo: City of Toronto Archives