St Thomas’s Church is located at 383 Huron St (on the east side, opposite Washington Ave, south of Bloor St W) in the Huron Sussex neighbourhood of Toronto.
Built in 1892/93, for $20,000 for the land and building, the Anglican church opened for service on January 17, 1893. It was designed by parishioner and renowned Toronto architect Eden Smith in the Arts and Crafts style. A pipe organ by Warren Church Organ Co. was also purchased at the time of opening for $3,000. In 1917, the church’s original architect, Eden Smith, remodelled the interior.
In 1919, the octagonal baptistry with stone-trimmed Gothic windows was added. Beautiful architectural elements of the church include carved woodwork, exposed brick walls and stained glass windows.
St Thomas’s Anglican Church received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1976 and Ontario Heritage Trust in 1986.
St Thomas’s Church Photos
- City of Toronto Heritage Register: 383 Huron St
- Ontario Heritage Trust: 383 Huron St
- Heritage Toronto (plaque)
- Landmarks of Toronto: Volume 4 by J Ross Robertson (1904), pgs 69-75
- Photos: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photos: City of Toronto Archives & Toronto Public Library
- Vintage Map: Atlas of the City of Toronto 1884 by Chas E Goad from the Toronto Public Library