St Stephen-In-The-Fields Church is located at 103 Bellevue Ave (at College St on the southeast corner) in Toronto’s Kensington Market/Harbord Village neighbourhoods.
Built in 1858, the entire property was valued at $30,000. Architect Thomas Fuller designed the red brick and stone-faced Anglican church in the Early English Gothic style. It had a seating capacity of 600. When the church was built, it was surrounded by fields, hence the name.
In 1865, a fire swept through the church. All that remained were its brick walls. That same year, architects Gundry & Langley rebuilt the church, keeping the original church’s design features. A rectory was also built.
In 1878, with a growing congregation, additions and alterations were made by architect Richard Cunningham Windeyer. In 1905, electricity was installed in the church.
St Stephen-In-The-Fields Church received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1973 and Ontario Heritage Trust in 1977.