St Peter’s Church is located at 830 Bathurst St (north of Bloor St W, that extends west to Markham St) in The Annex/Seaton Village neighbourhood of Toronto.
Built in 1925/26, this is the third St. Peter’s Church. The structure we know today was designed by architect James Patrick Hynes in Tudor type of architecture.
The Parish Hall at 659 Markham Street was completed in 1928 and designed by architect Lindsay Alexander Wardell.
St Peter’s Roman Catholic Church and Parish Hall received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 2015.
The parish’s previous (and second) building was once located on the northeast corner of Bloor St W and Markham St. It was constructed in 1906/07 and created by architect Arthur William Holmes. However, in the early 1920s, the site at Bloor St W and Markham St was considered unsuitable due to its small area and because the Bloor St frontage was more valuable for business purposes. The church acquired land at its present site on Bathurst St for $135,000.
The first St Peter’s Church was located on the southeast corner of Bathurst St and Bloor St W. It was a wooden structure that opened in 1872.
St Peter’s Church Photos
- City of Toronto Heritage Register: 830 Bathurst St
- City of Toronto Heritage Register: 659 Markham St
- The Globe Newspaper Archives: Mar 13, 1923, pg 13
- The Globe Newspaper Archives: Dec 13, 1926, pg 11
- Landmarks of Toronto: Volume 4 by J Ross Robertson (1904), pgs 337-338
- Photos: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photos: City of Toronto Archives & Toronto Public Library