St Peter’s Anglican Church once occupied the building at 188 Carlton St (at Bleeker St on the northeast corner) in the Cabbagetown neighbourhood of Toronto. Today, it’s home to Dixon Hall Neighbourhood Services.
In 1864, the land was purchased for $700, and the 400-seat church cost $3,700 to construct. Built in 1865/66, architects Gundry & Langley designed the church in the English Gothic Revival style. In 1872, transepts were added to the church to accommodate its growing congregation. Seating capacity was increased to 600. In 1905, the architectural firm of Gordon & Helliwell designed the former Rectory located at 190 Carlton St.
In 1897, Sir Henry Pellatt, builder of Casa Loma, paid to have the church converted to electricity from gas.
St Peter’s Anglican Church received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1973 and Ontario Heritage Trust in 1993.
St Peter’s Anglican Church Photos
- City of Toronto Heritage Register: 188 Carlton St
- Ontario Heritage Trust: 188 Carlton St
- Landmarks of Toronto: Volume 4 by J Ross Robertson (1904), pgs 36-40
- Photos: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photos: City of Toronto Archives & Toronto Public Library