St Luke’s United Church – originally Sherbourne Street Methodist Church

Posted:

St Luke’s United Church, originally Sherbourne Street Methodist Church, is located at 353 Sherbourne St (at Carlton St on the southeast corner) in the Cabbagetown Northwest neighbourhood of Toronto.

Built in 1886/87 at the cost of about $76,000, architects Langley & Burke designed the 1200-seat church in the Richardsonian Romanesque style.

In 1959, Sherbourne and Carlton United churches joined to form St Luke’s United Church. Two years later, an extension, offices and a gymnasium were added. The structure received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1976.

St Luke’s United Church Photos

2021 - St Luke's United Church, formerly Sherbourne Street Methodist Church at 353 Sherbourne St and Carlton St, southeast corner
2021 – St Luke’s United Church, formerly Sherbourne Street Methodist Church at 353 Sherbourne St and Carlton St, southeast corner
1972 - Looking southeast from the corner of Sherbourne St and Carlton St towards St Luke's United Church
1972 – Looking southeast from the corner of Sherbourne St and Carlton St towards St Luke’s United Church (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 7, Item 20)
2021 - Looking east towards the west facade of St Luke's United Church at 353 Sherbourne St and Carlton St
2021 – Looking east towards the west facade of St Luke’s United Church at 353 Sherbourne St and Carlton St
1920 - Looking southeast towards Sherbourne Street Methodist Church, later St Luke's United Church, at 353 Sherbourne St before the extension
1920 – Looking southeast towards Sherbourne Street Methodist Church, later St Luke’s United Church, at 353 Sherbourne St before the extension (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1568, Item 195)
2020 - St Luke's United Church at 353 Sherbourne St and Carlton St, southeast corner
2020 – St Luke’s United Church at 353 Sherbourne St and Carlton St, southeast corner
1907 - Looking northeast from Allan Gardens towards Sherbourne Street Methodist Church, now St Luke's United Church - notice the statue of Robert Burns in Allan Gardens
1907 – Looking northeast from Allan Gardens towards Sherbourne Street Methodist Church, now St Luke’s United Church – notice the statue of Robert Burns in Allan Gardens (Toronto Public Library R- 644)
2020 – Looking northeast towards the entrance of St Luke's United Church at 353 Sherbourne St
2020 – Looking northeast towards the entrance of St Luke’s United Church at 353 Sherbourne St
1890s - Looking southeast towards the former Sherbourne Street Methodist Church, now St Luke's United Church, at 353 Sherbourne St
1890s – Looking southeast towards the former Sherbourne Street Methodist Church, now St Luke’s United Church, at 353 Sherbourne St (Toronto Public Library R- 656)
1910 – Postcard of the Sherbourne Street Methodist Church, now St Luke's United Church, at 353 Sherbourne St
1910 – Postcard of the Sherbourne Street Methodist Church, now St Luke’s United Church, at 353 Sherbourne St (Toronto Public Library PC265)
2020 – Carlton St entrance to St Luke's United Church at 157 Carlton St, with a primary address of 353 Sherbourne St
2020 – Carlton St entrance to St Luke’s United Church at 157 Carlton St, with a primary address of 353 Sherbourne St
2021 - St Luke's United Church heritage plaque
2021 – St Luke’s United Church heritage plaque reads:

THIS CHURCH WAS KNOWN AS SHERBOURNE STREET METHODIST WHEN IT OPENED FOR WORSHIP 5 JUNE 1887. DESIGNED BY ARCHITECTS LANGLEY AND BURKE, IT REPLACED A SMALLER HOUSE OF WORSHIP BUILT HERE IN 1871. THE HANDSOME STONEWORK AND FINE STAINED GLASS ARE OF SPECIAL NOTE. MEMORIAL WINDOWS BEAR THE NAMES OF SIR JOSEPH FLAVELLE, SIR ALBERT KEMP, H.H. FUDGER AND RICHARD BROWN, WHO ALONG WITH MANY OTHER PROMINENT TORONTO BUSINESSMEN WERE ACTIVE MEMBERS OF THE CONGREGATION. THEIR PHILANTHROPY AND PARTICIPATION IN SOCIAL PROGRAMS BEGAN A COMMUNITY-MINDED TRADITION THAT HAS CONTINUED THROUGH THE YEARS. IN 1959, SHERBOURNE AND CARLTON UNITED JOINED TO FORM SAINT LUKE’S UNITED CHURCH. (Toronto Historical Board 1987)
2020 – The cornerstones at St Luke's United Church, formerly Sherbourne Street Methodist Church at 353 Sherbourne St at Carlton St, southeast corner - the original church's cornerstone was laid in 1871 and today's church in 1886
2020 – The cornerstones at St Luke’s United Church, formerly Sherbourne Street Methodist Church at 353 Sherbourne St at Carlton St, southeast corner – the original church’s cornerstone was laid in 1871 and today’s church in 1886
SOURCE

Stay Connected

22,254FollowersFollow
94FollowersFollow
8,950FollowersFollow
error: Alert: Content selection is disabled