St John’s Parish, originally Cowan Avenue Methodist Church, is located at 186 Cowan Ave (south of Queen St W opposite Melbourne Ave) in Toronto’s Little Tibet/Parkdale neighbourhood.
Built in 1885-86, architects Smith & Gemmell designed the cruciform-shaped, brick and stone church in the Gothic Revival style. The church became too small for the growing congregation within a few years, and they moved to Dunn Ave.
The church was vacant until the mid-1890s when the Presbyterian Church purchased it. Throughout the years, it went through various faiths and name changes.
In 1953, the Polish Catholics acquired the property and altered the church’s interior.
The structure received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1986 and Ontario Heritage Trust in 1991.
St John’s Church Photos
- City of Toronto Heritage Register: 186 Cowan Ave
- Ontario Heritage Trust: 186 Cowan Ave
- Landmarks of Toronto: Volume 4 by J Ross Robertson (1904), pgs 291-293
- St John’s Polish National Catholic Church
- Photos: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photos: Toronto Public Library
- Vintage Map: Atlas of the City of Toronto 1890 by Chas E Goad from the Toronto Public Library