Looking northwest towards the Royal Alexandra Theatre at 260 King St W in Toronto’s Entertainment District. Built in 1907, architect John McIntosh Lyle designed the Beaux-Arts-style building. Visionary Ed Mirvish, the owner of the former Honest Ed’s, saved the theatre from demolition in the early 1960s. His complete restoration of the theatre started the area’s rejuvenation, and today, the theatre is a National Historic Site of Canada. The archive photo shows the former Ed’s Warehouse next to the theatre.
- Photo: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photo: City of Toronto Archives