Roncesvalles United Church, originally Erskine United Church, is located at 214 Wright Ave (at Roncesvalles Ave on the northwest corner) in the Roncesvalles neighbourhood of Toronto.
Built in 1928, architects George, Moorhouse & King designed the church in the Gothic Revival style.
A Timeline of the Congregation
- Prior to the present-day church, there was another church at this location called High Park Presbyterian. It was completed in 1910. When The United Church of Canada was formed in 1925, the church was renamed Erksine United in order not to be confused with another church with a similar name. In 1927, the church was destroyed by fire.
- In 1928, the newly constructed Erskine United Church opened.
- In 1961, North Parkdale merged with Erskine and renamed Emamanuel United Church.
- In 1969, Howard Park joined the congreation to form Emamanuel-Howard Park United Church.
- In 2016, the church was renamed Roncesvalles United.
Roncesvalles United Church Photos
- Ontario Heritage Trust: Places of Worship Database: 214 Wright Ave
- United Church of Canada Archives: Roncesvalles United Church
- Photos: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photos: City of Toronto Archives & Toronto Public Library
- Street Photo: Google Maps
- Vintage Map: Atlas of the City of Toronto 1910 by Chas E Goad from the Toronto Public Library