Riverside Evangelical Missionary Church – In the Corktown Neighbourhood of Toronto

Posted:

Riverside Evangelical Missionary Church, originally King Street East Methodist Church, is located at 456 King St E (at Bright St on the northwest corner) in the Corktown neighbourhood of Toronto.

Built between 1902 and 1903, the church cost approximately $20,000 to construct. Chester D Massey, the son of industrialist Hart Massey, who founded Massey Hall, laid the cornerstone. Some items were placed underneath the stone, including coins, daily papers and a copy of the Christian Guardian.

In 1925, the Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational churches joined together to establish the United Church of Canada. As a result, the King Street Methodist Church was renamed the King Street United Church of Canada. In the mid-1940s, the building became home to the Redemption Tidings Tabernacle and then Riverside Church around 1953. Nowadays, it serves as the Riverside Evangelical Missionary Church.

The building received heritage designation from the City of Toronto in 2020.

Riverside Evangelical Missionary Church Photos    

2020 - The Riverside Evangelical Missionary Church is located at 456 King St E and Bright St in the Corktown neighbourhood of Toronto. The building was constructed between 1902 and 1903 as the King St East Methodist Church
2020 – The Riverside Evangelical Missionary Church is located at 456 King St E and Bright St in the Corktown neighbourhood of Toronto. The building was constructed between 1902 and 1903 as the King St East Methodist Church
1952 – Looking northwest from King St E and Bright St towards Redemption Tidings Tabernacle. Today, the Corktown neighbourhood building serves as the Riverside Evangelical Missionary Church
1952 – Looking northwest from King St E and Bright St towards Redemption Tidings Tabernacle. Today, the Corktown neighbourhood building serves as the Riverside Evangelical Missionary Church (Toronto Public Library R-2789)
2021 – A TTC streetcar passing in front of the Riverside Evangelical Missionary Church at King St E at Bright St
2021 – A TTC streetcar passing in front of the Riverside Evangelical Missionary Church at King St E at Bright St
1928 - Looking northeast towards King Street United Church of Canada, originally King Street East Methodist Church at 456 King St E and Bright St in Toronto's Corktown neighbourhood. Today, the building is home to the Riverside Evangelical Missionary Church
1928 – Looking northeast towards King Street United Church of Canada, originally King Street East Methodist Church at 456 King St E and Bright St in Toronto’s Corktown neighbourhood. Today, the building is home to the Riverside Evangelical Missionary Church (Toronto Public Library TSPA_0111147F)
2023 – Looking northwest towards the Riverside Evangelical Missionary Church at 456 King St E at Bright St. The building was completed in May 1903 at the cost of approximately $20,000. Notice the elevated portion of Richmond St E adjacent to the west side of the church
2023 – Looking northwest towards the Riverside Evangelical Missionary Church at 456 King St E at Bright St. The building was completed in May 1903 at the cost of approximately $20,000. Notice the elevated portion of Richmond St E adjacent to the west side of the church
1903 - Sketch of the King Street East Methodist Church, nowadays the Riverside Evangelical Missionary Church, located at 456 King St E in the Corktown neighbourhood of Toronto
1903 – Sketch of the King Street East Methodist Church, nowadays the Riverside Evangelical Missionary Church, located at 456 King St E in the Corktown neighbourhood of Toronto (Toronto Public Library R-2629 )
2022 –  Looking north towards the Riverside Evangelical Missionary Church at 456 King St E. The building received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 2020
2022 – Looking north towards the Riverside Evangelical Missionary Church at 456 King St E. The building received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 2020
2022 – The cornerstone is dated MCMII (1902) at the Riverside Evangelical Missionary Church at 456 King St E and Bright St. Items were placed underneath the stone, including coins, daily papers and a copy of the Christian Guardian
2022 – The cornerstone is dated MCMII (1902) at the Riverside Evangelical Missionary Church at 456 King St E and Bright St. Items were placed underneath the stone, including coins, daily papers and a copy of the Christian Guardian
November 7, 1981 – Looking west on King St E from Sumach St in Toronto's Corktown neighbourhood. Notice what is known today as the Riverside Evangelical Missionary Church in the distance on the left
November 7, 1981 – Looking west on King St E from Sumach St in Toronto’s Corktown neighbourhood. Notice what is known today as the Riverside Evangelical Missionary Church in the distance on the left (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 66, Item 63)
1880s - "The People's Church" once occupied the northwest corner of King St E and Bright St. It was replaced in 1903 with the present-day structure
1880s – “The People’s Church” once occupied the northwest corner of King St E and Bright St. It was replaced in 1903 with the present-day structure (Toronto Public Library R-2634 )
Sketch of the previous King Street East Methodist Church, also known as "The People's Church"
Sketch of the previous King Street East Methodist Church, also known as “The People’s Church” (Landmarks of Toronto Volume 4 by J Ross Robertson – 1904)
SOURCE

Stay Connected

23,624FollowersFollow
103FollowersFollow
8,925FollowersFollow