The Regent Theatre, originally Belsize and later the Crest Theatre, is located at 551 Mt Pleasant Rd (north of Belsize Dr on the east side) in the Davisville Village and Leaside neighbourhoods of Toronto.
Built in 1926/27, architect Murray Brown designed the theatre with 725+ seats on the main floor with another 205 in the balcony. It was designed to host both movies and live stage performances.
In 1953, after a renovation, it was renamed The Crest Theatre. It became a live stage theatre solely for a few decades. In 1971, The Crest started to screen movies again.
The building received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1984.
In the late 1980s and after a significant makeover, the theatre reopened as The Regent. Today the old neighbourhood theatre shows independent and foreign films.