Regent Theatre – Once in the Moss Park Neighbourhood

Regent Theatre was once located at 225 Queen St E (west of Sherbourne St on the south side) in the Moss Park/St Lawrence neighbourhoods of Toronto.

The theatre had a few name changes during its time, originally the New Theatre in 1918, it later became Moss Park in 1920, the Paulton in 1927 and Regent from 1935 until the theatre closed in the early 1960s.

The theatre building was replaced with the present-day structure and is today home to Anishnawbe Health Toronto.

Regent Theatre Photos

1956 - Regent Theatre was once located at 225 Queen St E, west of Sherbourne St on the south side. On the marquee, "The Sea Chase," starring John Wayne, Lana Turner and David Farrar and "The Black Pirates," starring Anthony Dexter, Martha Roth and Lon Chaney Jr, and "The Last Musketeer," starring Rex Allen, Koko Mary and Ellen Kay, were playing and released in 1955, 1954 and 1952, respectively
1956 – Regent Theatre was once located at 225 Queen St E, west of Sherbourne St on the south side. On the marquee, “The Sea Chase,” starring John Wayne, Lana Turner and David Farrar and “The Black Pirates,” starring Anthony Dexter, Martha Roth and Lon Chaney Jr, and “The Last Musketeer,” starring Rex Allen, Koko Mary and Ellen Kay, were playing and released in 1955, 1954 and 1952, respectively (City of Toronto Archives, Ken Webster Fonds, Fonds 251, Series 1278, File 12)
2022 - Regent Theatre was once located at 225 Queen St E, west of Sherbourne St on the south side. The theatre building was replaced with the present-day structure and today is home to Anishnawbe Health Toronto
2022 – Regent Theatre was once located at 225 Queen St E, west of Sherbourne St on the south side. The theatre building was replaced with the present-day structure and today is home to Anishnawbe Health Toronto
1972 - Looking southwest towards the corner of Queen St E and Sherbourne St. The Regent Theatre was once located at 225 Queen St E, next to the Canada House
1972 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Queen St E and Sherbourne St. The Regent Theatre was once located at 225 Queen St E, next to the Canada House (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 50, Item 24)
1934 - Looking west along Queen St W from Sherbourne St towards the Regent Theatre
1934 – Looking west along Queen St W from Sherbourne St towards the Regent Theatre (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 16, Series 71, Item 10266)
1917- Looking west along Queen St E from Sherbourne St during track reconstruction. The future site of New, Moss Park, Paulton and later Regent Theatre at 225 Queen St E is on the left
1917- Looking west along Queen St E from Sherbourne St during track reconstruction. The future site of New, Moss Park, Paulton and later Regent Theatre at 225 Queen St E is on the left (City of Toronto Archives, Series 372, Sub Series 58, Item 655)
1918 - The Toronto City Directory showing the address of the New Theatre
1918 – The Toronto City Directory showing the address of the New Theatre (Toronto Public Library)
1922 - The Toronto City Directory showing the address of the Moss Park Theatre
1922 – The Toronto City Directory showing the address of the Moss Park Theatre (Toronto Public Library)
1928 - The Toronto City Directory showing the address of the Paulton Theatre
1928 – The Toronto City Directory showing the address of the Paulton Theatre (Toronto Public Library)
1935 - The Toronto City Directory showing the address and phone number of the Regent Theatre
1935 – The Toronto City Directory showing the address and phone number of the Regent Theatre (Toronto Public Library)
SOURCE