Looking northwest towards the Legislative Building located at 111 Wellesley St W, surrounded by Queen’s Park in Toronto’s Bay-Cloverhill area. In 1880, an international competition was held to design the province’s parliament buildings, the fourth of its kind. When none of the entries met the criteria, the Ontario government asked one of the competition’s adjudicators, Richard A Waite, to submit a proposal, which was awarded the commission.
Construction began on the majestic Richardson Romanesque-style building in 1886, and seven years later, it was finally completed. Premier Sir Oliver Mowat opened the first legislative session in 1893. The original West Wing, shown in the archive photo, was destroyed by fire in 1909 and replaced with designs by renowned Toronto architect EJ Lennox.
- Photo: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photo: City of Toronto Archives