Looking southeast towards the corner of Queen St W and Simcoe St in downtown Toronto. The archive photo shows the shops that once occupied the block, including the United Cigar Store.
The present-day photo was taken from the back of the former Bank of Canada Building (with an address of 250 University Ave), constructed between 1955 and 1958. The 8-storey office building was designed by architects Mariani & Morris in the Neo-Georgian style. There are plans to incorporate the heritage-designated building into a mixed-use development.