Looking southeast towards the corner of Queen St W and Simcoe St in downtown Toronto. The archive photo shows the shops that once lined the streets. Since 1958, the block bound by Simcoe St, Queen St W, University Ave and Richmond St W has been the site of the former Bank of Canada Building. The 8-storey office building, shown from the rear in the present-day photo, was designed by architects Mariani & Morris. The building received heritage status from the city in 1997. There are plans to incorporate it into a mixed-use development.
- Photo: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photo: Toronto Public Library