1912/2023 – Looking northeast towards the intersection of Adelaide St E and Toronto St in the St Lawrence neighbourhood. In the archive photo, notice the entrance to Toronto’s first underground public lavatory was accessed from the middle of Toronto St. Built in 1896, the lavatory underwent a complete renovation in 1908 due to poor ventilation and aesthetic issues. Notice the former General Post Office on the left and the Toronto St sign affixed to the still-existing building on the right.
- Photo: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photo: City of Toronto Archives