Looking northwest on Parliament St, just south of Queen St E, in Toronto’s Moss Park neighbourhood. In the archive photo, notice the public underground lavatory entrance, ventilation shaft and a horse trough.
Architect Henry Simpson designed the building on the corner at 339 Queen St E for the Home Furniture Carpet Co Ltd. It was constructed in 1907, and in 1926, an extension was added on the west side, which included more retail space and a bowling alley. The word “BOWLING” is inscribed over the entrance at the northwest corner of the building. From 1978 until 2014, Marty Millionaire was located in the building. In 2017, after a restoration, the heritage-designated building was home to the WE Global Learning Centre.
- Photo: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photo: City of Toronto Archives