Looking northwest on Parliament St, just south of Queen St E, in the Moss Park neighbourhood. The archive photo shows the public underground lavatory entrances and ventilation shaft. It was Toronto’s third underground bathroom, and it opened in 1912. There were facilities for both men and women.
The three-storey, brick-clad Chicago School-style building next to the lavatory is the Home Furniture Carpet Co Ltd. It was designed in 1907 by architect Henry Simpson. The store was operated by John F Brown and sold appliances, furniture and clothing. An extension was added on the west side in 1926 to increase retail space. From 1978 to 2014, the building was home to Marty Millionaire. In 2017, the building was renovated for WE Charity, and that same year, the structure received heritage designation under the Ontario Heritage Act.
- Photo: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photo: City of Toronto Archives