Looking south on Spadina Ave from Queen St W in Toronto. In the archive photo, notice the median to the wagon’s left, where the city’s second underground public lavatory was accessed through a stairway. The subterranean bathroom opened in 1906, but by the 1930s, there were calls to close it because it was a traffic menace and the $5,000 yearly cost to operate it.
- Photo: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photo: City of Toronto Archives