Looking northeast towards the Bishop’s Block at the corner of Adelaide St W and Simcoe St in downtown Toronto. Built circa 1830 to 1840, the 3-storey Georgian-style building was constructed for John Bishop, a butcher and landlord. The structure was initially part of five brick townhouses; however, only two remain. It was later a boarding house and various hotels, and from 1965 until the 1980s, it became home to the Pretzel Bell Tavern. From 2009 to 2011, the site was redeveloped, and the building was dismantled and carefully restored to appear as it did before a 1910 renovation. Today the heritage-designated building is the Soho House Toronto members-only club.
- Photo: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photo: City of Toronto Archives