Looking towards the northeast corner of Adelaide St W and Simcoe St in downtown Toronto. The Georgian-style structure was built circa 1830 to 1840 for butcher and landlord John Bishop and was initially part of five brick townhouses. It was later a boarding house and various hotels, and from 1965 until the 1980s, it became home to the Pretzel Bell Tavern. From 2009 to 2011, the site was redeveloped, and the building, known as the Bishop’s Block, was dismantled and carefully restored to appear as it did before a 1910 renovation. Today the 3-storey, heritage-designated building is the Soho House Toronto, a members-only club.
- Photo: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photo: City of Toronto Archives