The Pines Hotel was once located at Dundas St W and Bloor St W (on the southwest corner) in the High Park-Swansea and Roncesvalles neighbourhoods of Toronto.
The Toronto City Directory has a hotel first listed at the corner in the 1889 publication. By the mid-1890s, it became known as the Pines Hotel but was also referred to as “Bell’s Hotel” after its proprietors Haigh and Mary Bell. The hotel later had a few different proprietors including CK Rogers and JJ McCarthy. In a Toronto Daily Star article dated April 26, 1905, a petitioner who was against the hotel establishment was quoted as saying, “The Pines Hotel was unnecessary. It provided neither meals for men nor accommodation for horses, but was used merely as a place for selling liquor.” The last time the Pines Hotel was listed in the directory was in 1910, with an address of 1101 Dundas St W.
Today the corner, which has an address of 2323-2333 Dundas St W, is home to the Bloor Dundas Square office and apartment building.
Pines Hotel Photos
- The Toronto Daily Star Newspaper Archives: Apr 26, 1905, pg 4
- Photos: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photos: Toronto Public Library
- Toronto City Directory by Might Directories Ltd 1890, 1899, 1900 & 1909 courtesy of Toronto Public Library
- Vintage Map: Atlas of the City of Toronto 1890 by Chas E Goad courtesy of Toronto Public Library