Philosopher’s Walk is located downtown on the St. George Campus of the University of Toronto. The picturesque, hilly footpath runs north-south from Bloor St W to Hoskin Ave. It’s bound by the Royal Ontario Museum, the University of Toronto’s Edward Johnson Building and Faculty of Law, Trinity College and The Royal Conservatory of Music.
A Gathering Place for Indigenous Peoples
Before Toronto was settled, the land was filled with forests, marshes and waterways. It remains the traditional territories of Indigenous Nations, which include the Huron-Wendat, Haudenosaunee Confederacy and the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation. The area provided an abundance of vital food for the Indigenous peoples. That included wild rice, roots, beans, squash, corn and berries from the land, along with trout and salmon from the rivers. One of those waterways was Taddle Creek.
The History of the Once Noble Taddle Creek
The 6 km river began at what we know today as the Wychwood Park neighbourhood. It bisected present-day Toronto, winding its way to eventually drain into Lake Ontario at The Esplanade and Parliament Square Park – where the shoreline once was.
In the 1860s, the portion of Taddle Creek that flowed south through the University of Toronto grounds was dammed to create McCaul’s Pond. It was a popular spot for students to fish, skate and socialize. Each fall, floundering freshmen were tossed into its waters during initiations.
Unfortunately, the creek was used to dump industrial and residential waste. Through the development of Toronto, much of the river had been pushed into man-made caverns and sewers, diverting into the depths of Lake Ontario.
While McCaul’s Pond was a pastoral place, damming the creek to create the pond also made it a place where pollution was collected. Not only was it a public health hazard, but there was also a very strong odour. In 1884, this section of the creek that swept through the University’s grounds was one of the last pieces to be covered.
The Creation of Philosopher’s Walk
Once buried, the gentle hills created by Taddle Creek and its ravine became Philosopher’s Walk. For more than a century, University students, professors, locals, and visitors have strolled through the scenic hollow for quiet contemplation.
The Alexandra Gates
The northern entrance on Bloor St W is called The Alexandra Gates. Located just west of the Royal Ontario Museum, the gates were built in 1901. They were initially positioned at the northern entrance of Queen’s Park, just south of Bloor St W.
Also known as the Queen Alexandra Gateway, they were created by the Imperial Order of the Daughters of the Empire, a women’s charitable organization, to commemorate a British royalty visit of the then Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York. The gate is named after Alexandra, the reigning Queen at that time. The architect partnership of Chadwick & Beckett designed the structure. In 1906, the association formally gave the gateway to the City. It was moved twice to make way for road widening and the subway, and in 1960, they were moved to their current location.
In 2009, the Alexandra Gates’ majestic stone pillars, ornate wrought ironwork and serpent-headed lamps were fully restored.
The Bennett Gates
The southern entrance on Hoskin Ave is called the Bennett Gates. They’re located between Queens Park Cres W and Devonshire Place. Named after Avie Bennett, they were built in 2006 to commemorate the commitment and donations he made to the University. A Torontonian, Mr Bennett was a philanthropist, businessman and publisher.
Did You Know?
- The name Taddle Creek is thought to be formed by mistake from the family name Tattle. In the 1840s, the Tattle family homestead was located near St Clair Ave and Bathurst St. The waterway flowed through their farm and was the approximate source of Taddle Creek.
- McCaul’s Pond was named after The Reverend John McCaul, the second president of the University of Toronto.
- City planning documents called Philosopher’s Walk “a relic ravine topography and unique linear park.”
- In 1995, the University of Toronto completed the extension southward to Hoskin Ave during a restoration of the walkway.
- Midway through the footpath is a 20 to 30-seat amphitheatre made from Wiarton limestone. Built in 2010, it has been specially designed to be an acoustically energetic setting for casual lectures, live performances and other learning experiences.
- Philosopher’s Walk is 375 m or 1,230 ft in length. It’s a nice spot to have some lunch and enjoy nature.
- Even though the Taddle has been long banished below Toronto, it has been known to spring up from time to time. A few notable occasions include at the Hart House Theatre (1930), the cellar of the University’s library stacks (1948) and when they were building Metropolitan Toronto Police Headquarters at College and Bay Sts (1985).
- The last remains of Taddle Creek that are above ground can be seen in the pond in the Wychwood Park area, north of Davenport Rd, between Bathurst and Christie Sts.
Philosopher’s Walk Photos
- The Globe Newspaper Archives: Oct 11, 1901, pg 2
- The Globe and Mail Newspaper Archives: Sep 3, 1930, pg 14
- The Globe and Mail Newspaper Archives: Oct 29, 1948, pg 12
- Toronto Star Newspaper Archives: Nov 7, 1985, page A6
- The Globe and Mail Newspaper Archives: Dec 13, 2003, pg 125
- Heritage Toronto plaque
- Plaques placed by the University of Toronto along Philosopher’s Walk
- Photos: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photos: City of Toronto Archives, Toronto Public Library & University of Toronto Archives
- Vintage Map: Atlas of the City of Toronto 1884 by Chas E Goad from the Toronto Public Library