Past & Present – Part 53

Posted:

1972/July 13, 2024 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Parliament St and Wellesley St E, in the Cabbagetown neighbourhood of Toronto. The archive photo shows the original Pizza Pizza store on the right, established in 1967. This pizzeria continues to operate at the same location to this day
1972/July 13, 2024 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Parliament St and Wellesley St E, in the Cabbagetown neighbourhood of Toronto. The archive photo shows the original Pizza Pizza store on the right, established in 1967. This pizzeria continues to operate at the same location to this day (City of Toronto Archives, Toronto Planning Board fonds, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 31, Item 12)

1972/July 13, 2024 - Looking west towards the intersection of Sherbourne St and Selby St, in the Upper Jarvis neighbourhood of Toronto. 

The building on the left, located at 592 Sherbourne St, dates back to 1882 and was designed by architect David Roberts Jr for Charles H Gooderham. It later became the Selby Hotel, as shown in the archive photo. The building received heritage designation from the city in 1976 and today is home to Maison Selby restaurant
1972/July 13, 2024 – Looking west towards the intersection of Sherbourne St and Selby St, in the Upper Jarvis neighbourhood of Toronto.

The building on the left, located at 592 Sherbourne St, dates back to 1882 and was designed by architect David Roberts Jr for Charles H Gooderham. It later became the Selby Hotel, as shown in the archive photo. The building received heritage designation from the city in 1976 and today is home to Maison Selby restaurant (City of Toronto Archives, Toronto Planning Board fonds, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 7, Item 1)

Between 1930-35/July 13, 2024 – Looking southwest along Yonge St from north of Charles St in the Bay-Cloverhill neighbourhood of Toronto. 

The three-story brick building on the right, constructed in 1889 for Robert Barron, a Scottish-born grocer, was designed by architect George W Gouinlock. Over time, the storefront was occupied by a Dominion grocery store, as shown in the archive photo. This example of Romanesque Revival architecture was given heritage status by the city in 1974. Today, the Robert Barron Building is home to Shopper's Drug Mart
Between 1930-35/July 13, 2024 – Looking southwest along Yonge St from north of Charles St in the Bay-Cloverhill neighbourhood of Toronto.

The three-story brick building on the right, constructed in 1889 for Robert Barron, a Scottish-born grocer, was designed by architect George W Gouinlock. Over time, the storefront was occupied by a Dominion grocery store, as shown in the archive photo. This example of Romanesque Revival architecture was given heritage status by the city in 1974. Today, the Robert Barron Building is home to Shopper’s Drug Mart (City of Toronto Archives, E.L. Ruddy Company fonds, Fonds 1488, Series 1230, Item 4138)

1990s/July 13, 2024 – Looking southeast towards the corner of Queen St W and Bathurst St in the Fashion District of Toronto. 

The building at the corner, 651 Queen St W, has a rich history, serving as the Occident Hall, the Holiday Tavern, and The Big Bop before becoming CB2 (Crate & Barrel). Built in 1876 and designed by architects McCaw & Lennox for the Masonic Order, the architecture of the building reflects the Second Empire style, and in 2016, it received heritage status from the city
1990s/July 13, 2024 – Looking southeast towards the corner of Queen St W and Bathurst St in the Fashion District of Toronto.

The building at the corner, 651 Queen St W, has a rich history, serving as the Occident Hall, the Holiday Tavern, and The Big Bop before becoming CB2 (Crate & Barrel). Built in 1876 and designed by architects McCaw & Lennox for the Masonic Order, the architecture of the building reflects the Second Empire style, and in 2016, it received heritage status from the city (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 200, Series 1465, File 51, Item 79 – Urban Design photographs)

1959/July 13, 2024 – Looking southwest towards 98 to 106 Avenue Rd, between Bloor St W and Davenport Rd, in The Annex and Yorkville neighbourhood of Toronto. 

In this archival photo, you can see 104 Avenue Rd, which used to be the location of Star Electric Fixtures, alongside the adjacent building housing George MacDonald and Company Commercial Stationery. Today, 104 Avenue Rd is home to Louro & Sons Jewellers. 

These charming houses, dating back to the late 1800s, were granted heritage status by the city in 1976
1959/July 13, 2024 – Looking southwest towards 98 to 106 Avenue Rd, between Bloor St W and Davenport Rd, in The Annex and Yorkville neighbourhood of Toronto.

In this archival photo, you can see 104 Avenue Rd, which used to be the location of Star Electric Fixtures, alongside the adjacent building housing George MacDonald and Company Commercial Stationery. Today, 104 Avenue Rd is home to Louro & Sons Jewellers.

These charming houses, dating back to the late 1800s, were granted heritage status by the city in 1976 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 220, Series 65, File 56, Item 23 – Collection of Alexandra Studio photographs)

July 6, 1949/May 12, 2024 – Looking northwest towards the former University Theatre as shown in the archive photo at 100 Bloor St W, in the Yorkville neighbourhood of Toronto. 

Designed by architect Eric Wilfrid Hounsom, the University Theatre opened its doors in 1949 as one of the first largest post-war movie houses built by Famous Players Limited. In 1986, the theatre closed. The developers of the prime real estate site were tasked with restoring its historic façade. This involved meticulously dismantling each limestone block, numbering them, cleaning, patching, and then rebuilding the facade. The entire restoration process cost $1 million and was completed in 2002.
 
The facade, located at 10 Bellair St, became part of a condominium and now houses storefront retail spaces. Until 2017, it was occupied by Pottery Barn
July 6, 1949/May 12, 2024 – Looking northwest towards the former University Theatre as shown in the archive photo at 100 Bloor St W, in the Yorkville neighbourhood of Toronto.

Designed by architect Eric Wilfrid Hounsom, the University Theatre opened its doors in 1949 as one of the first largest post-war movie houses built by Famous Players Limited. In 1986, the theatre closed. The developers of the prime real estate site were tasked with restoring its historic façade. This involved meticulously dismantling each limestone block, numbering them, cleaning, patching, and then rebuilding the facade. The entire restoration process cost $1 million and was completed in 2002.

The facade, located at 10 Bellair St, became part of a condominium and now houses storefront retail spaces. Until 2017, it was occupied by Pottery Barn (City of Toronto Archives, Globe and Mail fonds, Fonds 1266, Item 135159)

1926/May 25, 2024 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Yonge St and Dundas St, in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. A few of the shops in the archive photo include United Cigar Store, Home Dairy Company and Garden Kay Shoe Store
1926/May 25, 2024 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Yonge St and Dundas St, in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. A few of the shops in the archive photo include United Cigar Store, Home Dairy Company and Garden Kay Shoe Store (City of Toronto Archives, William James Family fonds, Fonds 1244, Item 7332)

January 27, 1974/May 25, 2024 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Yonge St and Dundas St, in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. The archive photo shows the demolition on the west side of Yonge St, just south of Dundas St, for the construction of the Toronto Eaton Centre, which opened in 1977. Notice the Old City Hall Clock Tower in the distance
January 27, 1974/May 25, 2024 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Yonge St and Dundas St, in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. The archive photo shows the demolition on the west side of Yonge St, just south of Dundas St, for the construction of the Toronto Eaton Centre, which opened in 1977. Notice the Old City Hall Clock Tower in the distance (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 83, Item 27)

1972/May 25, 2024 - Looking southeast towards the corner of Dundas St E and Jarvis St, in the Garden District of Toronto. 

The archive photo shows the Cozy Restaurant to the CIBC’s left and the Tusco House to its right. The tall building in the background was originally the RCMP headquarters and, more recently, became The Grand Hotel and Suites, which was  torn down in 2021
1972/May 25, 2024 – Looking southeast towards the corner of Dundas St E and Jarvis St, in the Garden District of Toronto. The archive photo shows the Cozy Restaurant to the CIBC’s left and the Tusco House to its right. The tall building in the background was originally the RCMP headquarters and, more recently, became The Grand Hotel and Suites, which was torn down in 2021 (City of Toronto Archives, Toronto Planning Board fonds, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 9, Item 10)

April 22, 1975/February 3, 2024 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Yonge St and Yorkville Ave, in the Yorkville neighbourhood of Toronto. The Charles Frogley Building stands directly at the corner. The magnificent brick structure was constructed in two phases. The original three stories date back to 1855 when it served as a residence. In 1885, Charles J Frogley undertook an expansion, adding Second Empire-style architectural elements. These included oriel windows on the second floor, a mansard roof, and the addition of a west wing. Notably, the pediment displays the name "FROGLEY'S". Mr. Frogley operated a bakery from this location. In more recent times, The Cookbook Store occupied the storefront until 2014. Following restoration, the heritage-designated building served as a presentation centre for a condo development
April 22, 1975/February 3, 2024 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Yonge St and Yorkville Ave, in the Yorkville neighbourhood of Toronto.

The Charles Frogley Building stands directly at the corner. The magnificent brick structure was constructed in two phases. The original three stories date back to 1855 when it served as a residence. In 1885, Charles J Frogley undertook an expansion, adding Second Empire-style architectural elements. These included oriel windows on the second floor, a mansard roof, and the addition of a west wing. Notably, the pediment displays the name “FROGLEY’S”. Mr. Frogley operated a bakery from this location.

In more recent times, The Cookbook Store occupied the storefront until 2014. Following restoration, the heritage-designated building served as a presentation centre for a condo development (City of Toronto Archives, Harvey R. Naylor fonds, Fonds 1526, File 1, Item 134)

November 27, 1965/February 3, 2024 – Looking southeast down Yonge St from Gould St in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. The archive photo shows the Edison Hotel on the left and the Le Coq d'Or Tavern next door. In the late 1950s and 1960s, the tavern became a wildly popular club, with the music scene exploding in Toronto. The venue hosted many musicians, including Ronnie Hawkins and Bo Diddley. Le Coq d'Or, which translates to The Golden Rooster, closed in 1976. Today, the building is home to Tokyo Smoke, as shown in the present-day photo
November 27, 1965/February 3, 2024 – Looking southeast down Yonge St from Gould St in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto.

The archive photo shows the Edison Hotel on the left and the Le Coq d’Or Tavern next door. In the late 1950s and 1960s, the tavern became a wildly popular club, with the music scene exploding in Toronto. The venue hosted many musicians, including Ronnie Hawkins and Bo Diddley. Le Coq d’Or, which translates to The Golden Rooster, closed in 1976.

Today, the building is home to Tokyo Smoke, as shown in the present-day photo (York University Libraries, Clara Thomas Archives & Special Collections, Toronto Telegram fonds, ASC01221)

1920/January 2, 2023 - Old City Hall Clock Tower at 60 Queen St W in downtown Toronto. To reach the top of the clock tower at Old City Hall, you would have to climb 280 steps
1920/January 2, 2023 – Old City Hall Clock Tower at 60 Queen St W in downtown Toronto. To reach the top of the clock tower at Old City Hall, you would have to climb 280 steps (City of Toronto Archives, William James family fonds, Fonds 1244, Item 289)

November 3, 1923/May 26, 2024 – Looking northeast towards the corner of Dundas St E and Victoria St in Toronto’s Garden District.

The three-storey building was once home to the pharmaceutical drug manufacturer Powell Chemical Company, as shown in the archive photo. Known then as the Powell Building, its uniquely angled façade resulted from the city's decision in the early 1920s to take a portion of the building for a new diagonal piece of roadway for the crosstown streetcar line. In later years, the building served as an office for Teela Digest Publications and a Hakim Optical storefront before becoming vacant.

In 2023, Toronto Metropolitan University (formerly Ryerson University) acquired the city-owned property. However, as of May 2024, the century-old building was in the process of being torn down due to safety concerns
November 3, 1923/May 26, 2024 – Looking northeast towards the corner of Dundas St E and Victoria St in Toronto’s Garden District.

The three-storey building was once home to the pharmaceutical drug manufacturer Powell Chemical Company, as shown in the archive photo. Known then as the Powell Building, its uniquely angled façade resulted from the city’s decision in the early 1920s to take a portion of the building for a new diagonal piece of roadway for the crosstown streetcar line. In later years, the building served as an office for Teela Digest Publications and a Hakim Optical storefront before becoming vacant.

In 2023, Toronto Metropolitan University (formerly Ryerson University) acquired the city-owned property. However, as of May 2024, the century-old building was in the process of being torn down due to safety concerns (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 200, Series 372, Sub Series 3, Item 500 – Dept. of Public Works photographs)

April 1, 1920/February  3, 2024 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Yonge St and Birch St in the Summerhill neighbourhood of Toronto. The historic building located at 1196-1204 Yonge St was constructed in 1889 and was officially designated as a heritage property by the city in 2022
April 1, 1920/February 3, 2024 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Yonge St and Birch St in the Summerhill neighbourhood of Toronto. The historic building located at 1196-1204 Yonge St was constructed in 1889 and was officially designated as a heritage property by the city in 2022 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 200, Series 372, Sub Series 3, Item 236 – Dept. of Public Works photographs)

1972/January 21, 2024 - Looking in the northwest direction from Dundas St E and Parliament St intersection in the Cabbagetown South and Regent Park neighbourhoods of Toronto. The buildings and streetscape at this location have retained their original character over the past 70 years
1972/January 21, 2024 – Looking in the northwest direction from Dundas St E and Parliament St intersection in the Cabbagetown South and Regent Park neighbourhoods of Toronto. The buildings and streetscape at this location have retained their original character over the past 70 years (City of Toronto Archives, Toronto Planning Board fonds, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 16, Item 4)

August 17, 1971/February 3, 2024 – Looking east on Edward St towards Yonge St in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. The archive photo shows Olympia Bowling and Billiards on the left and Yonge St Mall, Le Coq d'Or Tavern and Cinema 2000 in the background
August 17, 1971/February 3, 2024 – Looking east on Edward St towards Yonge St in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. The archive photo shows Olympia Bowling and Billiards on the left and Yonge St Mall, Le Coq d’Or Tavern and Cinema 2000 in the background (City of Toronto Archives, Harvey R. Naylor fonds, Fonds 1526, File 5, Item 6)

SOURCE

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

24,817FollowersFollow
103FollowersFollow
8,850FollowersFollow