Past & Present – Part 44

Posted:

June 12, 1974/January 21, 2024 – The Union Station clock on Front St W, between Bay St and York St, with the Royal York Hotel in the background. Notice in the present-day photo that the clock numbers have been replaced with the twelve letters “UNION STATION.” The plaza clock was restored in 2015
June 12, 1974/January 21, 2024 – The Union Station clock on Front St W, between Bay St and York St, with the Royal York Hotel in the background. Notice in the present-day photo that the clock numbers have been replaced with the twelve letters “UNION STATION.” The plaza clock was restored in 2015 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 37, Item 13)

Between 1980-95/January 1, 2024 - Looking southwest towards Devonian Square from Gould St, just east of Victoria St, at the Toronto Metropolitan University campus in downtown Toronto. Devonian Square opened in 1978 as a part of what was known then as Ryerson Community Park. Also referred to as Lake Devo, it features a reflecting pool, which doubles as an ice skating rink during the cooler months. Scattered about the pool are huge Precambrian boulders from the Muskoka region. The square was designed by landscape architects Richard Strong, Steven Moorhead Ltd in consultation with sculptor Gerard Gladstone. Notice the CN Tower in the background of the vintage photo
Between 1980-95/January 1, 2024 – Looking southwest towards Devonian Square from Gould St, just east of Victoria St, at the Toronto Metropolitan University campus in downtown Toronto.

Devonian Square opened in 1978 as a part of what was known then as Ryerson Community Park. Also referred to as Lake Devo, it features a reflecting pool, which doubles as an ice skating rink during the cooler months. Scattered about the pool are huge Precambrian boulders from the Muskoka region.

The square was designed by landscape architects Richard Strong, Steven Moorhead Ltd in consultation with sculptor Gerard Gladstone. Notice the CN Tower in the background of the vintage photo (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 771, Item 14)

August 5, 1932/January 21, 2024 - Looking southeast towards Union Station at ‪65-71 Front St W, between Bay St and York St, in downtown Toronto. The archive photo shows passengers leaving a TTC streetcar in front of the Union Station when streetcars travelled on Front St W
August 5, 1932/January 21, 2024 – Looking southeast towards Union Station at ‪65-71 Front St W, between Bay St and York St, in downtown Toronto. The archive photo shows passengers leaving a TTC streetcar in front of the Union Station when streetcars travelled on Front St W (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 16, Series 71, Item 9358)

March 23, 1915/ January 2024 - Looking northwest on Spadina Rd from just north of Dupont St towards Casa Loma in the Dupont by the Castle neighbourhood of Toronto
March 23, 1915/ January 2024 – Looking northwest on Spadina Rd from just north of Dupont St towards Casa Loma in the Dupont by the Castle neighbourhood of Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 1362)

April 19, 1923/April 23, 2023 – Looking northeast along Roncesvalles Ave from The Queensway, Queen St W and King St W in Toronto's Parkdale neighbourhood. The archive photo shows TTC streetcar tracks being laid at the intersection. Also, notice the building on the right. It was constructed in 1910 for the Imperial Bank of Canada (now known as CIBC) and designed by architects Darling & Pearson. In 2020, the old bank building was listed on the city's heritage register as part of the Parkdale Main Street Heritage Conservation District, and today, it's home to Burrito Boyz. The photos were taken exactly a century apart
April 19, 1923/April 23, 2023 – Looking northeast along Roncesvalles Ave from The Queensway, Queen St W and King St W in Toronto’s Parkdale neighbourhood.

The archive photo shows TTC streetcar tracks being laid at the intersection. Also, notice the building on the right. It was constructed in 1910 for the Imperial Bank of Canada (now known as CIBC) and designed by architects Darling & Pearson. In 2020, the old bank building was listed on the city’s heritage register as part of the Parkdale Main Street Heritage Conservation District, and today, it’s home to Burrito Boyz. The photos were taken exactly a century apart (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 16, Series 71, Item 2043)

October 13, 1927/January 21, 2024 – The Jarvis Collegiate Institute flagpole is located at the southeast corner of Jarvis St and Wellesley St E in Toronto. Students presented the flagpole to the Board of Education in celebration of the school's 120th anniversary
October 13, 1927/January 21, 2024 – The Jarvis Collegiate Institute flagpole is located at the southeast corner of Jarvis St and Wellesley St E in Toronto. Students presented the flagpole to the Board of Education in celebration of the school’s 120th anniversary (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1266, Item 11867)

1972/January 1, 2024 – Looking southeast from the corner of Victoria St and Gould St, at the Toronto Metropolitan University campus in downtown Toronto. The archive photo shows the corner as a parking lot before it became Devonian Square in 1978. The square features a large oval reflecting pool, which transforms into an ice skating rink during the winter months. Scattered around the pool are huge Precambrian boulders imported from the Muskoka region. Devonian Square, also known as Lake Devo, was designed by landscape architects Richard Strong, Steven Moorhead Ltd, with the principal funding donated by The Devonian Foundation of Calgary
1972/January 1, 2024 – Looking southeast from the corner of Victoria St and Gould St, at the Toronto Metropolitan University campus in downtown Toronto.

The archive photo shows the corner as a parking lot before it became Devonian Square in 1978. The square features a large oval reflecting pool, which transforms into an ice skating rink during the winter months. Scattered around the pool are huge Precambrian boulders imported from the Muskoka region.

Devonian Square, also known as Lake Devo, was designed by landscape architects Richard Strong, Steven Moorhead Ltd, with the principal funding donated by The Devonian Foundation of Calgary (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 17, Item 12)

Between 1981-88/January 1, 2024 – Looking southwest from Gould St towards Devonian Square and Victoria St, at the Toronto Metropolitan University campus in downtown Toronto. The archive photo shows Devonian Square’s reflecting pool with Heaslip House and the CN Tower in the background. Devonian Square officially opened in 1978 as a part of what was known then as Ryerson Community Park. The pool doubles as an ice skating rink in the winter (shown in the present-day photo), with massive Precambrian boulders scattered about. In 2005, an extension for the G Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education was added to the north side of Heaslip House and cantilevers over a portion of Devonian Square’s pool
Between 1981-88/January 1, 2024 – Looking southwest from Gould St towards Devonian Square and Victoria St, at the Toronto Metropolitan University campus in downtown Toronto.

The archive photo shows Devonian Square’s reflecting pool with Heaslip House and the CN Tower in the background. Devonian Square officially opened in 1978 as a part of what was known then as Ryerson Community Park. The pool doubles as an ice skating rink in the winter (shown in the present-day photo), with massive Precambrian boulders scattered about.

In 2005, an extension for the G Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education was added to the north side of Heaslip House and cantilevers over a portion of Devonian Square’s pool (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 495b, Item 38)

May 1971/January 21, 2024 - Looking southeast towards Union Station from Front St W and York St/University Ave. The magnificent Beaux-Arts-style building was designed by the Montreal architectural firm of Ross & Macdonald, CPR's architect Hugh Jones and Toronto-based architect John Lyle. On August 6, 1927, His Royal Highness Edward, the Prince of Wales, cut the ribbon to officially open Toronto's third Union Station. This iconic jewel became a National Historic Site of Canada in 1975. Also, notice Dominion Public Building in the distance
May 1971/January 21, 2024 – Looking southeast towards Union Station from Front St W and York St/University Ave in downtown Toronto.

The magnificent Beaux-Arts-style building was designed by the Montreal architectural firm of Ross & Macdonald, CPR’s architect Hugh Jones and Toronto-based architect John Lyle. On August 6, 1927, His Royal Highness Edward, the Prince of Wales, cut the ribbon to officially open Toronto’s third Union Station.

This iconic jewel became a National Historic Site of Canada in 1975. Also, notice the Dominion Public Building in the distance on the left (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 124, File 2, Item ID 116)

1972/January 21, 2024 - Looking northeast toward the Westover Hotel, today's Filmores Hotel at Dundas St E and George St in Toronto's Garden District. 

Architects Symons and Rae designed a three-storey building in the mid-1910s that was later incorporated into the house on the property's north end. It was called Wilton Court Apartments, then Wilton Court Private Hotel, before changing to Westover Hotel, Stage 212, and finally Filmores Hotel in the 1980s. 

There are plans to build a 46-storey, mixed-use residential tower that would rise over a base building, which includes the façade of Filmores Hotel
1972/January 21, 2024 – Looking northeast toward the Westover Hotel, today’s Filmores Hotel at Dundas St E and George St in Toronto’s Garden District.

Architects Symons and Rae designed a three-storey building in the mid-1910s that was later incorporated into the house on the property’s north end. It was called Wilton Court Apartments, then Wilton Court Private Hotel, before changing to Westover Hotel, Stage 212, and finally Filmores Hotel in the 1980s.

There are plans to build a 46-storey, mixed-use residential tower that would rise over a base building, which includes the façade of Filmores Hotel (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 27, Item 21)

1972/February 10, 2024 - Looking west towards the Gooderham "Flatiron" Building from the intersection of Church St, Front St E and Wellington St E, in the St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto. Since 1892, the wedge-shaped building has stood guard at the unique corner and originally served as the head office of the liquor distilling company Gooderham & Worts Limited. Today, the heritage-designated architectural landmark is one of the city's most photographed buildings and is home to commercial office space and The Flatiron Pub
1972/February 10, 2024 – Looking west towards the Gooderham “Flatiron” Building from the intersection of Church St, Front St E and Wellington St E, in the St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto.

Since 1892, the wedge-shaped building has stood guard at the unique corner and originally served as the head office of the liquor distilling company Gooderham & Worts Limited. Today, the heritage-designated architectural landmark is one of the city’s most photographed buildings and is home to commercial office space and The Flatiron Pub (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 69, Item 35)

July 11, 1930/January 21, 2024 – Looking southwest towards Union Station on ‪Front St W from just east of Bay St in downtown Toronto. Notice the building with the tower in the distance of the archive photo. It was the city’s previous Union Station, which operated from 1873 until the present-day station opened in 1927. The current photo captures a few iconic city landmarks, including a portion of the Dominion Public Building on the left, Union Station in the centre, and the CN Tower in the background
July 11, 1930/January 21, 2024 – Looking southwest towards Union Station on ‪Front St W from just east of Bay St in downtown Toronto.

Notice the building with the tower in the distance of the archive photo. It was the city’s previous Union Station, which operated from 1873 until the present-day station opened in 1927. The current photo captures a few iconic city landmarks, including a portion of the Dominion Public Building on the left, Union Station in the centre, and the CN Tower in the background (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1266, Item 21093)‬

June 13, 1923/February 10, 2024 – The beautiful waiting room with the oversized skylight in the west wing of Union Station. Located at Front St W, between Bay St and York St, in downtown Toronto, Union Station became a National Historic Site of Canada in 1975
June 13, 1923/February 10, 2024 – The beautiful waiting room with the oversized skylight in the west wing of Union Station. Located at Front St W, between Bay St and York St, in downtown Toronto, Union Station became a National Historic Site of Canada in 1975 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1266, Item 906)

March 17, 1936/January 2024 – Looking northeast along Lombard St, between Church St and Jarvis St in the Old Town, St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto.

The archive photo shows snow removal in front of the Lombard Street City Morgue. It was the city’s third morgue and was in use from 1908 until 1975. The building was later a cultural centre and, more recently, a women’s hostel until 2021.

Also, notice the sign “Marshall Ventilated Mattress Co Ltd” on the building next to the morgue. The mattress company occupied the neighbouring building starting in 1919; however, by the time the vintage photo was taken, the company had vacated it. The company’s founder, Canadian-born James Marshall, invented the pocket-coil spring mattress, patenting it in 1900. His “Marshall coil” invention became the industry standard for mattress construction and upholstery seating. Marshall Mattress still exists today and is based in the USA.

There are plans to build a mixed-use development at the site called 100 Lombard. In the proposal, the old morgue building would be relocated about 35 m east to be directly next to the former Fire Hall No. 5 at 110 Lombard St. The south façade of the building, which was once home to the mattress company, would be integrated into the proposed development, too
March 17, 1936/January 2024 – Looking northeast along Lombard St, between Church St and Jarvis St in the Old Town, St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto.

The archive photo shows snow removal in front of the Lombard Street City Morgue. It was the city’s third morgue and was in use from 1908 until 1975. The building was later a cultural centre and, more recently, a women’s hostel until 2021.

Also, notice the sign “Marshall Ventilated Mattress Co Ltd” on the building next to the morgue. The mattress company occupied the neighbouring building starting in 1919; however, by the time the vintage photo was taken, the company had vacated it. The company’s founder, Canadian-born James Marshall, invented the pocket-coil spring mattress, patenting it in 1900. His “Marshall coil” invention became the industry standard for mattress construction and upholstery seating. Marshall Mattress still exists today and is based in the USA.

There are plans to build a mixed-use development at the site called 100 Lombard. In the proposal, the old morgue building would be relocated about 35 m east to be directly next to the former Fire Hall No. 5 at 110 Lombard St. The south façade of the building, which was once home to the mattress company, would be integrated into the proposed development, too (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, Series 372, Sub Series 70, Item 493)

1972/January 21, 2024 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Dundas St E and George St, in the Garden District of Toronto. The archive photo shows when 200 Dundas St E was the site of the Canadian Manpower Centre Women’s Division. The building was torn down in 2016 and replaced by Dundas Square Gardens Condominiums
1972/January 21, 2024 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Dundas St E and George St, in the Garden District of Toronto. The archive photo shows when 200 Dundas St E was the site of the Canadian Manpower Centre Women’s Division. The building was torn down in 2016 and replaced by Dundas Square Gardens Condominiums (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 27, Item 19)

Circa 1913/January 2024 - Looking northwest from Casa Loma at 1 Austin Terrace towards Walmer Rd in the aptly named Casa Loma neighbourhood of Toronto. The archive photo was taken from one of the towers at the majestic castle. It shows an aerial view of the stables, potting shed and former greenhouses. A portion of Pellatt Lodge, built in 1905/06, is also visible in the foreground on the left. Sir Henry Pellatt and his wife Mary lived at the lodge while Casa Loma was being constructed
Circa 1913/January 2024 – Looking northwest from Casa Loma at 1 Austin Terrace towards Walmer Rd in the aptly named Casa Loma neighbourhood of Toronto. The archive photo was taken from one of the towers at the majestic castle. It shows an aerial view of the stables, potting shed and former greenhouses. A portion of Pellatt Lodge, built in 1905/06, is also visible in the foreground on the left. Sir Henry Pellatt and his wife Mary lived at the lodge while Casa Loma was being constructed (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 4101)

August 19, 2009/January 2024 – Pellatt Lodge is located at the northwest corner of Walmer Rd and Austin Terrace in Toronto's Casa Loma neighbourhood. The lodge was built in 1905/06 for Sir Henry Pellatt, who lived there with his wife Mary, while the magnificent Casa Loma was being constructed across the street. The lodge, along with the stables and Casa Loma, were designed by renowned Toronto architect EJ Lennox and are all listed on the city's heritage register
August 19, 2009/January 2024 – Pellatt Lodge is located at the northwest corner of Walmer Rd and Austin Terrace in Toronto’s Casa Loma neighbourhood. The lodge was built in 1905/06 for Sir Henry Pellatt, who lived there with his wife Mary, while the magnificent Casa Loma was being constructed across the street. The lodge, along with the stables and Casa Loma, were designed by renowned Toronto architect EJ Lennox and are all listed on the city’s heritage register (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 219, Series 2311, File 2829, Item 1)

March 1991/January 1, 2024 – Looking southeast along Yonge St, between Gerrard St and Gould St in Toronto’s Downtown Yonge area. 

The archive photo shows the Zanzibar Tavern, Ford Discount Pharmacy, Star House Chinese Restaurant, Panzerotto & Pizza Original, Caribbean Roti Delight, Peter Dunn’s Vinyl Museum, A & A Records & Tapes, and Sam the Record Man. The Zanzibar still exists today, and when it opened in 1951, it featured fine dining and live musical entertainment
March 1991/January 1, 2024 – Looking southeast along Yonge St, between Gerrard St and Gould St in Toronto’s Downtown Yonge area.

The archive photo shows the Zanzibar Tavern, Ford Discount Pharmacy, Star House Chinese Restaurant, Panzerotto & Pizza Original, Caribbean Roti Delight, Peter Dunn’s Vinyl Museum, A & A Records & Tapes, and Sam the Record Man. The Zanzibar still exists today, and when it opened in 1951, it featured fine dining and live musical entertainment (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 124, File 3, ID 197)

March 1987/January 2024 – Looking northeast along Yonge St, north of Shuter St in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. This city block has not changed much over the decades
March 1987/January 2024 – Looking northeast along Yonge St, north of Shuter St in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. This city block has not changed much over the decades (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 124, File 3, Item 131)
November 4, 1975/January 2024 – Storefronts on the east side of Yonge St, between Gould St and Gerrard St in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. The archive photo shows from left to right Record World, Zanzibar Tavern, Ford Discount Pharmacy, Slack Shack, City & Country Sales, 2 by 4 Posters and Images Fashions. The Zanzibar Tavern is still there today
November 4, 1975/January 2024 – Storefronts on the east side of Yonge St, between Gould St and Gerrard St in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. The archive photo shows from left to right Record World, Zanzibar Tavern, Ford Discount Pharmacy, Slack Shack, City & Country Sales, 2 by 4 Posters and Images Fashions. The Zanzibar Tavern is still there today (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 3, Item 18)
1963/2024 – Looking southwest towards Casa Loma, located at ‪1 Austin Terrace in the aptly named Casa Loma neighbourhood of Toronto. Construction began on the magnificent castle in 1910 and was completed in 1913. It stands as a testament to the grandeur and splendour of a bygone era. The castle was built by 300 skilled workers who worked to create a 200,000-square-foot mansion at a cost of $3.5 million. Today, Casa Loma welcomes over 600,000 visitors every year and is open for tours, dining and more
1963/2024 – Looking southwest towards Casa Loma, located at ‪1 Austin Terrace in the aptly named Casa Loma neighbourhood of Toronto.

Construction began on the magnificent castle in 1910 and was completed in 1913. It stands as a testament to the grandeur and splendour of a bygone era. The castle was built by 300 skilled workers who worked to create a 200,000-square-foot mansion at a cost of $3.5 million. Today, Casa Loma welcomes over 600,000 visitors every year and is open for tours, dining and more (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1567, Series 648, File 150, Item 2)

2019/January 27, 2024 – Looking southeast towards the Gelber Building located at 217-225 Richmond St W and Duncan St in Toronto’s downtown core. Constructed in two phases in 1910 and 1920, the building originally housed the Imperial Clothing Company and Gelber Brothers Woollens, both founded by brothers Moses and Louis Gelber. In 2017, the building was listed on the city’s heritage register. The ghost sign was restored in 2020 and says “Gelber Bros. Limited Wholesale Woolens and Dress Goods.” Today, the building is home to commercial and office space
2019/January 27, 2024 – Looking southeast towards the Gelber Building located at 217-225 Richmond St W and Duncan St in Toronto’s downtown core. Constructed in two phases in 1910 and 1920, the building originally housed the Imperial Clothing Company and Gelber Brothers Woollens, both founded by brothers Moses and Louis Gelber. In 2017, the building was listed on the city’s heritage register.

The ghost sign was restored in 2020 and says “Gelber Bros. Limited Wholesale Woolens and Dress Goods.” Today, the building is home to commercial and office space

Between 1983-84/January 27, 2024 – Looking west from under the canopy of Meridian Hall, originally the O’Keefe Centre, at Front St E and Yonge St in the St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto. The Dominion Public Building is visible in the background of both photos; however, the CN Tower is hidden by fog in the present-day image
Between 1983-84/January 27, 2024 – Looking west from under the canopy of Meridian Hall, originally the O’Keefe Centre, at Front St E and Yonge St in the St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto. The Dominion Public Building is visible in the background of both photos; however, the CN Tower is hidden by fog in the present-day image (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 427, Item 5)

1902/January 27, 2024 – The Robert Burns monument is in Toronto's Allan Gardens. The archive photo shows the statue in its original location in the park, at the southwest corner of Carlton St and Sherbourne St. In 1956, it was moved to its present-day location in the park (about 100 m south) on the Sherbourne St side, about midway between Gerrard St E and Carlton St.

Robert Burns was a Scottish poet and lyricist widely regarded as Scotland's national poet. He was born on January 25, 1759, and died on July 21, 1796, at the age of 37. The archive photo was taken when the Robert Burns monument was unveiled in 1902. The sculpture was created by Edinburgh artist David Watson Stevenson
1902/January 27, 2024 – The Robert Burns monument is in Toronto’s Allan Gardens. The archive photo shows the statue in its original location in the park, at the southwest corner of Carlton St and Sherbourne St. In 1956, it was moved to its present-day location in the park (about 100 m south) on the Sherbourne St side, about midway between Gerrard St E and Carlton St.

Robert Burns was a Scottish poet and lyricist widely regarded as Scotland’s national poet. He was born on January 25, 1759, and died on July 21, 1796, at the age of 37. The archive photo was taken when the Robert Burns monument was unveiled in 1902. The sculpture was created by Edinburgh artist David Watson Stevenson (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1568, Item 202)

1972/January 1, 2024 – Looking southwest towards Meridian Hall, originally the O'Keefe Centre, a performing art and entertainment venue located at ‪1 Front St E and Yonge St in the St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto. It was completed in 1960 and originally named after O'Keefe Brewery, the venue's sponsor. The performing art centre is built on land donated by the City of Toronto. It was designed in the Mid-Century Modern style by architects Peter Dickenson when he worked for the architectural firm Page + Steele and Earle C Morgan. The building received heritage status in 1990
1972/January 1, 2024 – Looking southwest towards Meridian Hall, originally the O’Keefe Centre, a performing art and entertainment venue located at ‪1 Front St E and Yonge St in the St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto.

It was completed in 1960 and originally named after O’Keefe Brewery, the venue’s sponsor. The performing art centre is built on land donated by the City of Toronto. It was designed in the Mid-Century Modern style by architects Peter Dickenson when he worked for the architectural firm Page + Steele and Earle C Morgan. The building received heritage status in 1990 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 13, Item 18)

1972/January 1, 2024 – Looking northwest from the corner of Victoria St and Gould St in the Garden District of Toronto. The archive photo shows the construction of the Ryerson Polytechnical Institute Library Resource Centre, today the Toronto Metropolitan University Library Building. Also, notice Sam the Record Man in the left background of the vintage photo
1972/January 1, 2024 – Looking northwest from the corner of Victoria St and Gould St in the Garden District of Toronto. The archive photo shows the construction of the Ryerson Polytechnical Institute Library Resource Centre, today the Toronto Metropolitan University Library Building. Also, notice Sam the Record Man in the left background of the vintage photo (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 17, Item 10)

1972/2024 – Looking northwest from Queen St W and Bay St in downtown Toronto. Notice in both photos Nathan Phillips Square on the right and the Canada Life Building in the distance
1972/2024 – Looking northwest from Queen St W and Bay St in downtown Toronto. Notice in both photos Nathan Phillips Square on the right and the Canada Life Building in the distance (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 61, Item 1)

1959/2024 – Looking southwest from Avenue Rd just south of Davenport Rd in The Annex and Yorkville neighbourhoods of Toronto. The three-story mixed-use building was constructed in the late 1920s and has storefronts on the ground floor with apartments on the upper floors. The archive photo shows when it was home to Loblaws, the Avenue Road Cigar Store, Woman's Bakery and Jong Young Market. The building at 132-138 Avenue Rd has been listed on the city's heritage register as part of the East Annex Heritage Conservation District since 1994
1959/2024 – Looking southwest from Avenue Rd just south of Davenport Rd in The Annex and Yorkville neighbourhoods of Toronto. The three-story mixed-use building was constructed in the late 1920s and has storefronts on the ground floor with apartments on the upper floors. The archive photo shows when it was home to Loblaws, the Avenue Road Cigar Store, Woman’s Bakery and Jong Young Market. The building at 132-138 Avenue Rd has been listed on the city’s heritage register as part of the East Annex Heritage Conservation District since 1994 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 220, Series 65, File 56, ID 31)

SOURCE

Stay Connected

24,077FollowersFollow
103FollowersFollow
8,850FollowersFollow