Past & Present – Part 42

Posted:

Circa 1920/2023 – Looking north up Roncesvalles Ave, from the intersection of Queen St W, The Queensway and King St W, straddling Toronto's Parkdale and Sunnyside neighbourhoods. The archive photo shows TTC streetcar tracks being laid at the intersection. The left side of the present-day photo shows McDonald's, originally the Sunnyside Bus Terminal, built in the mid-1930s. Just behind it is Hotel Shelter (with the Howard Johnson Inn sign), built as the Edgewater Hotel in 1939. On the right side of the current photo, notice the building home to Burrito Boys. It was constructed in 1910 for the Imperial Bank and also appears in the archive photo. The bank building was designed by architect Frank Darling and, since 2020, has been listed on the city's heritage register as part of the Parkdale Main Street Heritage Conservation District
Circa 1920/2023 – Looking north up Roncesvalles Ave, from the intersection of Queen St W, The Queensway and King St W, straddling Toronto’s Parkdale and Sunnyside neighbourhoods. The archive photo shows TTC streetcar tracks being laid at the intersection.

The left side of the present-day photo shows McDonald’s, originally the Sunnyside Bus Terminal, built in the mid-1930s. Just behind it is Hotel Shelter (with the Howard Johnson Inn sign), built as the Edgewater Hotel in 1939.

On the right side of the current photo, notice the building home to Burrito Boys. It was constructed in 1910 for the Imperial Bank and also appears in the archive photo. The bank building was designed by architect Frank Darling and, since 2020, has been listed on the city’s heritage register as part of the Parkdale Main Street Heritage Conservation District (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 1214)

1926/2021 - The Miss Toronto Beauty Pageant mural is located on the building at 1249 Queen St W, home to The Rhino Bar & Grill, in the Parkdale neighbourhood of Toronto.

Jean Ford Tolmie was crowned the winner after competing against over 65 hopefuls in the contest's inaugural year. The archive photo shows her along with the four runners-up. The 1926 pageant was held at Sunnyside Bathing Pavilion in front of a crowd of 30,000, where Jean was crowned with flowers. The pageant was later moved to Exhibition Stadium & Grandstand in 1936.

If you observe the mural closely, you'll notice the architecture of the Sunnyside Bathing Pavilion in the background, including the columns and decorative fence. We have researched for information on the artist who painted the mural but have not found any information. If anyone knows, please send us an email
1926/2021 – The Miss Toronto Beauty Pageant mural is located on the building at 1249 Queen St W, home to The Rhino Bar & Grill, in the Parkdale neighbourhood of Toronto.

Jean Ford Tolmie was crowned the winner after competing against over 65 hopefuls in the contest’s inaugural year. The archive photo shows her along with the four runners-up. The 1926 pageant was held at Sunnyside Bathing Pavilion in front of a crowd of 30,000, where Jean was crowned with flowers. The pageant was later moved to Exhibition Stadium & Grandstand in 1936.

If you observe the mural closely, you’ll notice the architecture of the Sunnyside Bathing Pavilion in the background, including the columns and decorative fence. We have researched for information on the artist who painted the mural but have not found any details. If anyone knows, please send us an email (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 1028M)

1972/2023 – Looking southeast toward the corner of Queen St E and Broadview Ave in the Riverside neighbourhood of Toronto. The streetscape hasn't changed much in the last 50+ years
1972/2023 – Looking southeast toward the corner of Queen St E and Broadview Ave in the Riverside neighbourhood of Toronto. The streetscape hasn’t changed much in the last 50+ years (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 25, Item 20)

1980/2022 - The Matador Club was once located at 466 Dovercourt Rd just north of College St in Toronto’s Dufferin Grove neighbourhood. 

Constructed between 1914 and 1915, the building was originally home to the Davis Dance Academy on the main floor, with a residential apartment on the second floor. The building was later converted into a bowling alley and also housed commercial tenants. 

Ann Dunn bought the property, renovated the building, and in 1964, turned it into a popular country music venue called The Matador. The club hosted many famous artists, including Leonard Cohen, Joni Mitchell, Gordon Lightfoot and Blue Rodeo. The Matador closed down in 2007. Currently, there is a proposal in place for a mixed-use development at this location
1980/2022 – The Matador Club was once located at 466 Dovercourt Rd just north of College St in Toronto’s Dufferin Grove neighbourhood.

Constructed between 1914 and 1915, the building was originally home to the Davis Dance Academy on the main floor, with a residential apartment on the second floor. The building was later converted into a bowling alley and also housed commercial tenants.

Ann Dunn bought the property, renovated the building, and in 1964, turned it into a popular country music venue called The Matador. The club hosted many famous artists, including Leonard Cohen, Joni Mitchell, Gordon Lightfoot and Blue Rodeo. The Matador closed down in 2007. Currently, there is a proposal in place for a mixed-use development at this location (Toronto Public Library Lochist-BL-074)

2022/Between 2010-19 - Looking west from Sony Centre for the Performing Arts, today Meridian Hall at 1 Front St E, in Toronto's St Lawrence neighbourhood. Notice the CN Tower in the background of both photos, one of the tallest freestanding structures in the world
2022/Between 2010-19 – Looking west from Sony Centre for the Performing Arts, today Meridian Hall at 1 Front St E, in Toronto’s St Lawrence neighbourhood. Notice the CN Tower in the background of both photos, one of the tallest freestanding structures in the world (TO Live)

April 22, 1971/January 7, 2023 – Looking northeast towards 100 Adelaide St E, between Church St and Jarvis St, in the Old Town neighbourhood of Toronto. The building was once home to Dominion Typewriters, and today, Pearl Diver Restaurant occupies the storefront
April 22, 1971/January 7, 2023 – Looking northeast towards 100 Adelaide St E, between Church St and Jarvis St, in the Old Town neighbourhood of Toronto. The building was once home to Dominion Typewriters, and today, Pearl Diver Restaurant occupies the storefront (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 615, Item 14)

2019/2021 – Looking southeast towards the Gelber Building located at 217-225 Richmond St W and Duncan St in Toronto’s downtown core. Constructed in two phases in 1910 and 1920, the building originally housed the Imperial Clothing Company and Gelber Brothers Woollens, both founded by brothers Moses and Louis Gelber. In 2017, the building was listed on the city's heritage register. The ghost sign was restored in 2020 and says “Gelber Bros. Limited Wholesale Woolens and Dress Goods.” Today, the building is home to commercial and office space
2019/2021 – Looking southeast towards the Gelber Building located at 217-225 Richmond St W and Duncan St in Toronto’s downtown core. Constructed in two phases in 1910 and 1920, the building originally housed the Imperial Clothing Company and Gelber Brothers Woollens, both founded by brothers Moses and Louis Gelber. In 2017, the building was listed on the city’s heritage register.

The ghost sign was restored in 2020 and says “Gelber Bros. Limited Wholesale Woolens and Dress Goods.” Today, the building is home to commercial and office space

2023/August 1982 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Bloor St W and Lippincott St, in the Harbord Village and The Annex neighbourhoods of Toronto. Built in 1914 as a Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce branch, architect Victor Daniel Horsburgh designed many of the financial institution's branches across Canada from approximately 1910 to 1931. The heritage-designated building was home to the bank until the mid-1980s when it was converted to Paupers Pub
2023/August 1982 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Bloor St W and Lippincott St, in the Harbord Village and The Annex neighbourhoods of Toronto. Built in 1914 as a Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce branch, architect Victor Daniel Horsburgh designed many of the financial institution’s branches across Canada from approximately 1910 to 1931. The heritage-designated building was home to the bank until the mid-1980s when it was converted to Paupers Pub (Toronto Public Library LOCHIST-PM-021)

2022/Circa 1930 – Eaton's College Street store, today College Park, at the southwest corner of College St and Yonge St in the Downtown Yonge area Toronto.

Built between 1928 and 1930, the architectural firms of Ross & Macdonald and Sproatt & Rolph designed the Art Deco landmark. The building was supposed to be much taller; however, due to the Great Depression, it was scaled back to seven floors.

The spacious store was Eaton's headquarters for home furnishings. Upon opening, the store featured a series of period rooms, a fine art gallery and a library. On the basement level, there was a log cabin on display that could be built for customers "Summer haunts" by Eaton's.

When the CF Toronto Eaton Centre opened in ‪1977, the College Street‬ store closed. Since 1979, the heritage-designated building has been known as College Park
2022/Circa 1930 – Eaton’s College Street store, today College Park, at the southwest corner of College St and Yonge St in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto.

Built between 1928 and 1930, the architectural firms of Ross & Macdonald and Sproatt & Rolph designed the Art Deco landmark. The building was supposed to be much taller; however, due to the Great Depression, it was scaled back to seven floors.

The spacious store was Eaton’s headquarters for home furnishings. Upon opening, the store featured a series of period rooms, a fine art gallery and a library. On the basement level, there was a log cabin on display that could be built for customers “Summer haunts” by Eaton’s.

When the CF Toronto Eaton Centre opened in ‪1977, the College Street‬ store closed. Since 1979, the heritage-designated building has been known as College Park (Archives of Ontario, T. Eaton Co. fonds, F 229-308-0-517.7)

Between 1929-30/2023 – Looking west on King St W from Simcoe St in the Entertainment District of Toronto. In the photos, you can see the Canadian General Electric Company Building in the right foreground. It was built back in 1908 and served as the company's headquarters. Canadian General Electric constructed the adjacent structure in 1917, followed by an extension in 1919. Just before the Royal Alexandra Theatre is the Nicholls Building, constructed in 1910. The Royal Alex, an exquisite example of the Beaux-Arts architectural style, was built in 1907. Visionary Ed Mirvish saved the theatre from demolition in the early 1960s. His complete restoration of this building started rejuvenating what we know today as the Entertainment District. All of these buildings still stand today and hold heritage designation from the city
Between 1929-30/2023 – Looking west on King St W from Simcoe St in the Entertainment District of Toronto.

In the photos, you can see the Canadian General Electric Company Building in the right foreground. It was built back in 1908 and served as the company’s headquarters. Canadian General Electric constructed the adjacent structure in 1917, followed by an extension in 1919. Just before the Royal Alexandra Theatre is the Nicholls Building, constructed in 1910.

The Royal Alex, an exquisite example of the Beaux-Arts architectural style, was built in 1907. Visionary Ed Mirvish saved the theatre from demolition in the early 1960s. His complete restoration of this building started rejuvenating what we know today as the Entertainment District.

All of these buildings still stand today and hold heritage designation from the city (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1230, Item 3562)

May 31, 1979/April 23, 2023 – Looking along the south side of Colborne St from Leader Lane in the Old Town, St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto. The building directly at the corner, at 39 Colborne St, was built in 1854. The archive photo shows when it was home to El Toro Steak House. Today, it's P.J. O'Brien Irish Pub & Restaurant. The row of four-storey commercial/warehouse buildings at 41 to 55 Colborne St date back to circa 1890. Today, they house various businesses and restaurants. The city has given all of these structures heritage designation
May 31, 1979/April 23, 2023 – Looking along the south side of Colborne St from Leader Lane in the Old Town, St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto.

The building directly at the corner, at 39 Colborne St, was built in 1854. The archive photo shows when it was home to El Toro Steak House. Today, it’s P.J. O’Brien Irish Pub & Restaurant.

The row of four-storey commercial/warehouse buildings at 41 to 55 Colborne St date back to circa 1890. Today, they house various businesses and restaurants. The city has given all of these structures heritage designation (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 8, Item 116)

1935/2021 – The Royal Canadian Military Institute (RCMI) is located at 426 University Ave just south of Dundas St W in downtown Toronto. The original building, shown in the archive photo, housed the RCMI since the early 1900s and had undergone several updates over the years. However, the structure's deteriorating condition prompted concerns, and in 2010, it was demolished. The building's historic facade was reconstructed. It now forms part of a 42-storey residential condo tower that features the Royal Canadian Military Institute and its museum
1935/2021 – The Royal Canadian Military Institute (RCMI) is located at 426 University Ave just south of Dundas St W in downtown Toronto. The original building, shown in the archive photo, housed the RCMI since the early 1900s and had undergone several updates over the years. However, the structure’s deteriorating condition prompted concerns, and in 2010, it was demolished. The building’s historic facade was reconstructed. It now forms part of a 42-storey residential condo tower that features the Royal Canadian Military Institute and its museum (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 80)

1928/2023 – Looking southeast towards the corner of Bay St and Gerrard St W, in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. The archive photo shows John Swartz Fur Co on the corner. The building was previously home to the Willard House Hotel. Notice the steeple of the former Elm Street Methodist Church is in the background. Today, the corner is home to a mixed-use building
1928/2023 – Looking southeast towards the corner of Bay St and Gerrard St W, in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. The archive photo shows John Swartz Fur Co on the corner. The building was previously home to the Willard House Hotel. Notice the steeple of the former Elm Street Methodist Church is in the background. Today, the corner is home to a mixed-use building (City of Toronto Archives, Series 372, Sub Series 3, Item 724)

1946/2023 – Looking northeast on Bay St towards Adelaide St W in downtown Toronto. In the foreground of the archive photo, notice the Ticker Tape Coffee Shop & Soda Bar, La Vogue Jewellers and Laura Secord Candy Shop. And in the distance is The Robert Simpson Company Limited department store (today home to The Bay) and Old City Hall clock tower
1946/2023 – Looking northeast on Bay St towards Adelaide St W in downtown Toronto. In the foreground of the archive photo, notice the Ticker Tape Coffee Shop & Soda Bar, La Vogue Jewellers and Laura Secord Candy Shop. And in the distance is The Robert Simpson Company Limited department store (today home to The Bay) and Old City Hall clock tower (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 3)

1860/2023 – Looking northeast from Church St towards Adelaide St E in the Old Town, St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto. The archive photo shows St James Parochial School in the right foreground and the Mechanics' Institute in the centre background. The church school building was replaced in 1909 with St James Parish House, which is today part of the St James Cathedral Centre. The Mechanics' Institute was a movement established in Britain to educate adults mainly in technical subjects. In 1830, the association came to the Town of York (Toronto). In 1854/55, with designs by architects Cumberland & Storm, the Institute constructed the building in the archive photo. However, due to a lack of funds, they had to rent it to the government for a few years before finally moving into the building in 1861. Lectures and classes were held there, plus there was an extensive reference library and a music hall. In 1882, the Free Libraries Act was passed, and the assets of the Mechanics' Institute were given to the local government. Its vast collection of books started the Toronto Public Library, which opened in the building in 1884. The grand structure was torn down in 1950, and today, the site is home to a patio and mixed-use building
1860/2023 – Looking northeast from Church St towards Adelaide St E in the Old Town, St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto. The archive photo shows St James Parochial School in the right foreground and the Mechanics’ Institute in the centre background.

The church school building was replaced in 1909 with St James Parish House, which is today part of the St James Cathedral Centre.

The Mechanics’ Institute was a movement established in Britain to educate adults mainly in technical subjects. In 1830, the association came to the Town of York (Toronto). In 1854/55, with designs by architects Cumberland & Storm, the Institute constructed the building in the archive photo. However, due to a lack of funds, they had to rent it to the government for a few years before finally moving into the building in 1861. Lectures and classes were held there, plus there was an extensive reference library and a music hall. In 1882, the Free Libraries Act was passed, and the assets of the Mechanics’ Institute were given to the local government. Its vast collection of books started the Toronto Public Library, which opened in the building in 1884. The grand structure was torn down in 1950, and today, the site is home to a patio and mixed-use building (Toronto Public Library R-5981)

Circa 1906/2023 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Adelaide St E and Sherbourne St in Toronto’s Old Town, St Lawrence neighbourhood. In the archive photo, notice the building with the tower on the far left. It was the Duke Street Public School. Adelaide St E between Jarvis St and Parliament St was once known as Duke St. By the late 1940s, the Surgical Supplies (Can) Limited was in the long horizontal building at the corner with the curved façade. It later housed the Imperial Surgical Company and the Imperial Optical Company. In the late 1990s, the building was converted into the Imperial Lofts, which is shown in the present-day photo
Circa 1906/2023 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Adelaide St E and Sherbourne St in Toronto’s Old Town, St Lawrence neighbourhood.

In the archive photo, notice the building with the tower on the far left. It was the Duke Street Public School. Adelaide St E between Jarvis St and Parliament St was once known as Duke St.

By the late 1940s, the Surgical Supplies (Can) Limited was in the long horizontal building at the corner with the curved façade. It later housed the Imperial Surgical Company and the Imperial Optical Company. In the late 1990s, the building was converted into the Imperial Lofts, which is shown in the present-day photo (Toronto Public Library B4-88C)

1972/2023 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Adelaide St E and Sherbourne St, in the Old Town, St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto. In the late 1940s, the building at 80 Sherbourne St housed Surgical Supplies (Can) Limited and later the Imperial Surgical Company, then the Imperial Optical Company. Fast forward to the late 1990s, and the building underwent a transformation and was converted into the Imperial Lofts
1972/2023 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Adelaide St E and Sherbourne St, in the Old Town, St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto. In the late 1940s, the building at 80 Sherbourne St housed Surgical Supplies (Can) Limited and later the Imperial Surgical Company, then the Imperial Optical Company. Fast forward to the late 1990s, and the building underwent a transformation and was converted into the Imperial Lofts (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 50, Item 30)

Circa 1910/April 2023 – Looking north on Yonge St from Queen St in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. In the archive photo, notice the block on the left, which is today home to the CF Toronto Eaton Centre. The building in the foreground on the right was constructed between 1909 and 1910 as a branch office for the Bank of Montreal. 

The beautiful building was designed by architects Darling & Pearson in the Edwardian Baroque style. The bank’s historic façade has been incorporated into the modern, 19-storey office tower known as 2 Queen St E
Circa 1910/April 2023 – Looking north on Yonge St from Queen St in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. In the archive photo, notice the block on the left, which is today home to the CF Toronto Eaton Centre. The building in the foreground on the right was constructed between 1909 and 1910 as a branch office for the Bank of Montreal.

The beautiful building was designed by architects Darling & Pearson in the Edwardian Baroque style. The bank’s historic façade has been incorporated into the modern, 19-storey office tower known as 2 Queen St E (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 495)

December 4, 1954/April 23, 2023 – Looking north on Yonge St from Queen St in Toronto’s Downtown Yonge area. In the archive photo, notice FW Woolworth and the block on the left, which is today home to the CF Toronto Eaton Centre. The vintage photo also shows the historic Loew’s Theatre in the distance on the right. Nowadays, it’s known as the Elgin and Winter Garden Theatre Centre
December 4, 1954/April 23, 2023 – Looking north on Yonge St from Queen St in Toronto’s Downtown Yonge area. In the archive photo, notice FW Woolworth and the block on the left, which is today home to the CF Toronto Eaton Centre. The vintage photo also shows the historic Loew’s Theatre in the distance on the right. Nowadays, it’s known as the Elgin and Winter Garden Theatre Centre (City of Toronto Archives, Series 381, Item 319 12641-7)

Circa 1898/2023 – Looking west towards the Gooderham "Flatiron" Building at the intersection of Wellington St E, Church St and Front St E, in the St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto. Architect David Roberts Jr designed the Gooderham Building for the unusually shaped property. It was completed in 1892 and served as the corporate head office for Gooderham & Worts Limited, once Canada's largest liquor distilling company. Today, the heritage-designated architectural landmark is one of the city's most photographed buildings and is home to commercial office space and a pub
Circa 1898/2023 – Looking west towards the Gooderham “Flatiron” Building at the intersection of Wellington St E, Church St and Front St E, in the St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto.

Architect David Roberts Jr designed the Gooderham Building for the unusually shaped property. It was completed in 1892 and served as the corporate head office for Gooderham & Worts Limited, once Canada’s largest liquor distilling company. Today, the heritage-designated architectural landmark is one of the city’s most photographed buildings and is home to commercial office space and a pub (Toronto Public Library R-6249)

August 20, 1927/2023 – Looking northwest on Frederick St from King St E in Toronto's Old Town, St Lawrence neighbourhood. In the archive photo on the left, Grey Line coaches are lined up in front of the Christie, Brown & Company Factory for their picnic. Today, the cookie factory buildings are home to George Brown College St James Campus. Also notice in the vintage photo the Campbell House at its original location on Adelaide St E (then Duke St), opposite Frederick St. The historic house was moved to 160 Queen St W in 1972 and today is a City of Toronto museum
August 20, 1927/2023 – Looking northwest on Frederick St from King St E in Toronto’s Old Town, St Lawrence neighbourhood.

In the archive photo on the left, Grey Line coaches are lined up in front of the Christie, Brown & Company Factory for their picnic. Today, the cookie factory buildings are home to George Brown College St James Campus.

Also notice in the vintage photo the Campbell House at its original location on Adelaide St E (then Duke St), opposite Frederick St. The historic house was moved to 160 Queen St W in 1972 and today is a City of Toronto museum (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 16, Series 71 Item 5194)

November 15, 1930/November 26, 2023 - The archive photo shows the Mother Goose float at Albert St and Chestnut St (these streets no longer intersect) in Eaton's Santa Claus Parade. The present-day photo shows the Canada Goose float by Ambient Mechanical Ltd parked on Bloor St W, between Ossington Ave and Christie St, before the start of the Santa Claus Parade
November 15, 1930/November 26, 2023 – The archive photo shows the Mother Goose float at Albert St and Chestnut St (these streets no longer intersect) in Eaton’s Santa Claus Parade. The present-day photo shows the Canada Goose float by Ambient Mechanical Ltd parked on Bloor St W, between Ossington Ave and Christie St, before the start of the Santa Claus Parade (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1266, Item 22531)

November 17, 1934/November 26, 2023 - The archive photo shows Santa Claus being drawn by four horses on University Ave just south of Elm St, looking north towards Queen's Park at the Eaton’s Santa Claus Parade. The present-day photo shows Santa Claus being drawn by a 2024 Volkswagen Cross Sport on Harbord St, just east of Spadina Ave, during the annual holiday parade
November 17, 1934/November 26, 2023 – The archive photo shows Santa Claus being drawn by four horses on University Ave just south of Elm St, looking north towards Queen’s Park at the Eaton’s Santa Claus Parade. The present-day photo shows Santa Claus being drawn by a 2024 Volkswagen Cross Sport on Harbord St, just east of Spadina Ave, during the annual holiday parade (City of Toronto Archives, Globe and Mail Fonds, Fonds 1266, Item 35341)

June 14, 1978/2023 – Looking west towards Inglenook Community School, originally Sackville Street Public School, from Eastern Ave and Sumach St in Toronto's Corktown neighbourhood. Built in 1887, the school was designed in the Victorian style by architect William G Storm. The school replaced Enoch Turner School (built in 1848) and Palace Street School (built in 1859). By 1888, Sackville Street Public School's initial enrollment increased from 49 students to 269. Today, it's the city's oldest school structure having continuous use
June 14, 1978/2023 – Looking west towards Inglenook Community School, originally Sackville Street Public School, from Eastern Ave and Sumach St in Toronto’s Corktown neighbourhood. Built in 1887, the school was designed in the Victorian style by architect William G Storm. The school replaced Enoch Turner School (built in 1848) and Palace Street School (built in 1859). By 1888, Sackville Street Public School’s initial enrollment increased from 49 students to 269. Today, it’s the city’s oldest school structure having continuous use (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 62, Item 81)

1967/2023 - Looking southwest along King St W from Yonge St in Toronto’s Financial District. In the foreground on the left is The Dominion Bank Building, today called One King West Hotel & Residence, while the Canadian Bank of Commerce Building is in the distance on the right. In the archive photo, notice The Sword Tavern & Restaurant (later Nags Head Tavern) in the former Coghlan Building, once at 7 King St W. The building was constructed in the 1890s and was originally home to Michie & Co Grocers. It was torn down in the early 2000s, and the property is now part of One King West
1967/2023 – Looking southwest along King St W from Yonge St in Toronto’s Financial District. In the foreground on the left is The Dominion Bank Building, today called One King West Hotel & Residence, while the Canadian Bank of Commerce Building is in the distance on the right. In the archive photo, notice The Sword Tavern & Restaurant (later Nags Head Tavern) in the former Coghlan Building, once at 7 King St W. The building was constructed in the 1890s and was originally home to Michie & Co Grocers. It was torn down in the early 2000s, and the property is now part of One King West (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1567, Series 648, File 222, ID 3)

January 26, 1961/2023 – Looking west on King St W from John St in Toronto's Wellington Place neighbourhood and Entertainment District. The left side of the archive photo shows the various businesses along the south side of King St W. Nowadays, this stretch is part of Restaurant Row. On the right side of the archive photo, notice Farb’s Car Wash, which operated from 1953 until the late 1980s. Today, the north side of King St W is home to TIFF Bell Lightbox and condo residences
January 26, 1961/2023 – Looking west on King St W from John St in Toronto’s Wellington Place neighbourhood and Entertainment District.

The left side of the archive photo shows the various businesses along the south side of King St W. Nowadays, this stretch is part of Restaurant Row.

On the right side of the archive photo, notice Farb’s Car Wash, which operated from 1953 until the late 1980s. Today, the north side of King St W is home to TIFF Bell Lightbox and condo residences (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 23)

SOURCE

Stay Connected

22,156FollowersFollow
94FollowersFollow
8,950FollowersFollow
error: Alert: Content selection is disabled