Past & Present – Part 9

2021/1929 - Epiphany & St Mark Anglican Church, originally St Mark's Church, is located at 201 Cowan Ave, south of Queen St W in Toronto's Little Tibet/Parkdale neighbourhood - built in 1881, architects Langley, Langley and Burke designed the church in the Gothic Revival style
2021/1929 – Epiphany & St Mark Anglican Church, originally St Mark’s Church, is located at 201 Cowan Ave, south of Queen St W in Toronto’s Little Tibet/Parkdale neighbourhood – built in 1881, architects Langley, Langley and Burke designed the church in the Gothic Revival style (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1266, Item 16769)

2021/1930 - Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church is located at 78 Clifton Rd and St Clair Ave E on the northwest corner in the Moore Park neighbourhood - built in 1929/30, architect J Gibb Morton designed the church in the Neo-Romanesque style with Byzantine elements
2021/1930 – Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church is located at 78 Clifton Rd and St Clair Ave E on the northwest corner in the Moore Park neighbourhood – built in 1929/30, architect J Gibb Morton designed the church in the Neo-Romanesque style with Byzantine elements (Toronto Public Library TSPA_0111078F)

1937/2021 – Looking southeast towards the corner of Bay St and Bloor St W in the Yorkville neighbourhood, today home to the Manulife Centre – notice in the background of the vintage photo the old St Andrew Church tower that once was on Bloor St E, east of Yonge St
1937/2021 – Looking southeast towards the corner of Bay St and Bloor St W in the Yorkville neighbourhood, today home to the Manulife Centre – notice in the background of the vintage photo the old St Andrew Church tower that once was on Bloor St E, east of Yonge St (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1488, Series 1230, Item 5251)

1919/2020 - Montgomery's Inn is located at 4709 Dundas St W between Montgomery Rd and Islington Ave in The Kingsway neighbourhood. Built around 1830 by Thomas and Margaret Montgomery, they operated the inn on their farm - the building later served as Kingsway Presbyterian Church from 1946-62 and since 1975, has operated as a public museum
1919/2020 – Montgomery’s Inn is located at 4709 Dundas St W between Montgomery Rd and Islington Ave in The Kingsway neighbourhood. Built around 1830 by Thomas and Margaret Montgomery, they operated the inn on their farm – the building later served as Kingsway Presbyterian Church from 1946-62 and since 1975, has operated as a public museum (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1548, Series 393, Item 15540a)

2021/1925 – Looking northwest towards the College Street Presbyterian Church which later became the College Street United Church located at 456 College St and Bathurst St – today, The Channel Club condo surrounds the church
2021/1925 – Looking northwest towards the College Street Presbyterian Church which later became the College Street United Church located at 456 College St and Bathurst St – today, The Channel Club condo surrounds the church (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1266, Item 5475)

1919/2021 – 440 College St at Bathurst St, on the northeast corner in the Harbord Village/Little Italy neighbourhood. Built in 1913 and designed by architects Darling & Pearson for the Bank of Nova Scotia, the structure received heritage status from the City and Ontario Heritage Trust in 1975 - the building is under Queenscorp Group for development
1919/2021 – 440 College St at Bathurst St, on the northeast corner in the Harbord Village/Little Italy neighbourhood. Built in 1913 and designed by architects Darling & Pearson for the Bank of Nova Scotia, the structure received heritage status from the City and Ontario Heritage Trust in 1975 – the building is under Queenscorp Group for development (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 754)

1940/2021 – Looking southeast towards Our Lady of Sorrows Church located at 3055 Bloor St W and Cliveden Ave in The Kingsway neighbourhood - built in 1940/41, architect James Haffa designed the church
1940/2021 – Looking southeast towards Our Lady of Sorrows Church located at 3055 Bloor St W and Cliveden Ave in The Kingsway neighbourhood – built in 1940/41, architect James Haffa designed the church (Toronto Public Library TSPA_0111076F)

1955/2020 - Hobberlin Building was once at Yonge St and Richmond St E, on the southeast corner. Built in 1907, architect EJ Lennox designed the building for a store, warehouse and offices – the building was demolished in the mid-1980s, and today the corner is home to the Yonge Richmond Centre 151 Yonge St
1955/2020 – Hobberlin Building was once at Yonge St and Richmond St E, on the southeast corner. Built in 1907, architect EJ Lennox designed the building for a store, warehouse and offices – the building was demolished in the mid-1980s, and today the corner is home to the Yonge Richmond Centre 151 Yonge St (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1128, Series 380, Item 346)

2021/1888 – Built in 1887/88 for the Bathurst Street Methodist Church, later known as the Bathurst Street Theatre and today the Randolph Theatre, at 736 Bathurst St and Lennox St, on the southwest corner in the Mirvish Village neighbourhood - architects Gordon & Helliwell designed the church in the Gothic revival style at the cost of $30,000
2021/1888 – Built in 1887/88 for the Bathurst Street Methodist Church, later known as the Bathurst Street Theatre and today the Randolph Theatre, at 736 Bathurst St and Lennox St, on the southwest corner in the Mirvish Village neighbourhood – architects Gordon & Helliwell designed the church in the Gothic revival style at the cost of $30,000 (Toronto Public Library B6-49C)

2021/1930 – Blessed Sacrament Church at 24 Cheritan Ave and Yonge St, on the northwest corner - built in 1929-30 at the cost of $180,000, architect John Gibb Morton designed the church in the medieval Gothic style
2021/1930 – Blessed Sacrament Church at 24 Cheritan Ave and Yonge St, on the northwest corner – built in 1929-30 at the cost of $180,000, architect John Gibb Morton designed the church in the medieval Gothic style (Toronto Public Library TSPA_0111075F)

2020/1876 – Looking southeast towards St Andrews Church at 73 Simcoe St and King St W – built in 1874/75, architect William George Storm designed the church in the Romanesque Revival style - the pictures span over 140 years
2020/1876 – Looking southeast towards St Andrews Church at 73 Simcoe St and King St W – built in 1874/75, architect William George Storm designed the church in the Romanesque Revival style – the pictures span over 140 years (Toronto Public Library R-6460)

2021/1950 – The northeast corner of Yonge St and Gloucester St where the Masonic Hall Buildings, now Gloucester Mews is located - built in 1888, architect Richard Ough designed the structure in the Victorian style
2021/1950 – The northeast corner of Yonge St and Gloucester St where the Masonic Hall Buildings, now Gloucester Mews is located – built in 1888, architect Richard Ough designed the structure in the Victorian style (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1128, Series 380, Item 231)

2021/1936 - Masonic Hall Buildings, now Gloucester Mews, is located at 601-613 Yonge St and 2 Gloucester St, on the northeast corner - built in 1888, architect Richard Ough designed the structure in the Victorian style
2021/1936 – Masonic Hall Buildings, now Gloucester Mews, is located at 601-613 Yonge St and 2 Gloucester St, on the northeast corner – built in 1888, architect Richard Ough designed the structure in the Victorian style (Toronto Public Library R-3836)

2021/1907 – The northwest corner of Yonge St and Davenport Rd was once home to the Primitive Methodist Church and later the Christian Workers Church – today, it is home to The Masonic Temple/The Concert Hall
2021/1907 – The northwest corner of Yonge St and Davenport Rd was once home to the Primitive Methodist Church and later the Christian Workers Church – today, it is home to The Masonic Temple/The Concert Hall (Toronto Public Library R-1904)

2021/1936-37 - Looking west towards Yonge St and Davenport Rd – notice the Masonic Temple on the right
2021/1936-37 – Looking west towards Yonge St and Davenport Rd – notice the Masonic Temple on the right (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1230, Item 4850)

2021/late 1910s – The Masonic Temple/The Concert Hall at 888 Yonge St and Davenport Rd, northwest corner – built in 1916-17, the architectural firm William F Sparling & Co designed the building
2021/late 1910s – The Masonic Temple/The Concert Hall at 888 Yonge St and Davenport Rd, northwest corner – built in 1916-17, the architectural firm William F Sparling & Co designed the building (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 755)

1925/2020 – A worker on the spire at St Michael's Cathedral Basilica at 65 Bond St and Shuter St, northeast corner, in the Garden District – the church was built in 1845/48, architect William Thomas designed the Gothic Revival style church - in 1867, the tower and spire were added
1925/2020 – A worker on the spire at St Michael’s Cathedral Basilica at 65 Bond St and Shuter St, northeast corner, in the Garden District – the church was built in 1845/48, architect William Thomas designed the Gothic Revival style church – in 1867, the tower and spire were added (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1266, Item 6314)

2020/1982 – Looking northwest towards St George the Martyr Church bell tower at John St and Stephanie St
2020/1982 – Looking northwest towards St George the Martyr Church bell tower at John St and Stephanie St (Toronto Public Library LOCHIST-SA-015)

1937/2021 - The northeast corner of Elizabeth St and Hagerman St – notice Hotel Ford in the background that once stood at Bay St and Dundas St W
1937/2021 – The northeast corner of Elizabeth St and Hagerman St – notice Hotel Ford in the background that once stood at Bay St and Dundas St W (City of Toronto Archives, Series 372, Sub Series 33, Item 159)

1978/2021 - Nanking Restaurant and Tavern once occupied 75-77 Elizabeth St on the northeast corner of Elizabeth St and Hagerman St
1978/2021 – Nanking Restaurant and Tavern once occupied 75-77 Elizabeth St on the northeast corner of Elizabeth St and Hagerman St (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 299, Item 48)

2021/1912 - The Riverdale Branch of the Toronto Public Library is located at 370 Broadview Ave and Gerrard St E, on the northwest corner - built in 1909-10, architect Robert McCallum designed the library in the Georgian Revival style
2021/1912 – The Riverdale Branch of the Toronto Public Library is located at 370 Broadview Ave and Gerrard St E, on the northwest corner – built in 1909-10, architect Robert McCallum designed the library in the Georgian Revival style (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 7084)

2021/1927 - Looking northwest from Queen St W and Bay St towards Toronto’s New and Old City Hall - once Queen St W was known as Lot St and Bay St as Terauley St north of Queen and Bear St south of Queen
2021/1927 – Looking northwest from Queen St W and Bay St towards Toronto’s New and Old City Hall – once Queen St W was known as Lot St and Bay St as Terauley St north of Queen and Bear St south of Queen (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1230, Item 1776)

2021/1972 – Looking southwest towards Little Trinity Church at 425 King St E and Trinity St - built in 1843/44, architect Henry Bowyer Lane designed the church in the Gothic Revival style
2021/1972 – Looking southwest towards Little Trinity Church at 425 King St E and Trinity St – built in 1843/44, architect Henry Bowyer Lane designed the church in the Gothic Revival style (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 11, Item 16)

2021/1980 – Built in 1914 for the Canadian Bank of Commerce, today it's home to Paupers Pub at 539 Bloor St W and Lippincott St, southwest corner in The Annex neighbourhood - designed by architect Victor Daniel Horsburgh and received heritage status from the City in 1976
2021/1980 – Built in 1914 for the Canadian Bank of Commerce, today it’s home to Paupers Pub at 539 Bloor St W and Lippincott St, southwest corner in The Annex neighbourhood – designed by architect Victor Daniel Horsburgh and received heritage status from the City in 1976 (Toronto Public Library LOCHIST-PM-021 )

2021/1972 – Built in 1911 for the Bank of Ottawa at 363 Broadview Ave and Gerrard St E, northeast corner - the bank was designed by architect John McIntosh Lyle - today it's Scotiabank
2021/1972 – Built in 1911 for the Bank of Ottawa at 363 Broadview Ave and Gerrard St E, northeast corner – the bank was designed by architect John McIntosh Lyle – today it’s Scotiabank (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 25, Item 2)

1939/2020 - The Runnymede Branch of the Toronto Public Library is located at 2178 Bloor St W and Glendonwynne Rd, on the northeast corner - built in 1929/30, architect John McIntosh Lyle designed the library in the Canadian style which combines Georgian, French, and Early Quebec styles of architecture
1939/2020 – The Runnymede Branch of the Toronto Public Library is located at 2178 Bloor St W and Glendonwynne Rd, on the northeast corner – built in 1929/30, architect John McIntosh Lyle designed the library in the Canadian style which combines Georgian, French, and Early Quebec styles of architecture (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 827)

1924/2021 – Looking northwest towards Queen St W and University Ave - notice the Campbell House Museum and Canada Life Building
1924/2021 – Looking northwest towards Queen St W and University Ave – notice the Campbell House Museum and Canada Life Building (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 7364)

1957/2020 – Originally the Zion Primitive Methodist Church, now the Zion Church Cultural Centre is located at 1650 Finch Ave E and Skymark Dr, on the northwest corner - built in 1873, the church was designed in the Gothic Revival style
1957/2020 – Originally the Zion Primitive Methodist Church, now the Zion Church Cultural Centre is located at 1650 Finch Ave E and Skymark Dr, on the northwest corner – built in 1873, the church was designed in the Gothic Revival style (Toronto Public Library R-6150)

2021/1890s – Looking southwest towards Trinity-St Pauls United Church, originally Trinity Methodist United Church, at 427 Bloor St W at Robert St - built in 1888/89, architects Langley and Burke designed the church in the Richardsonian Romanesque style (Toronto Public Library R-1451)
2021/1890s – Looking southwest towards Trinity-St Pauls United Church, originally Trinity Methodist United Church, at 427 Bloor St W at Robert St – built in 1888/89, architects Langley and Burke designed the church in the Richardsonian Romanesque style (Toronto Public Library R-1451)

2021/1969 – Built in 1888/89, the structure is home to the Toronto Club and is located at 107 Wellington St W and York St, on the southeast corner - architects Darling & Curry designed the heritage building in the Richardsonian Romanesque style
2021/1969 – Built in 1888/89, the structure is home to the Toronto Club and is located at 107 Wellington St W and York St, on the southeast corner – architects Darling & Curry designed the heritage building in the Richardsonian Romanesque style (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 124, File 2, ID 47)

1892/2021 – Built in 1889/91, the structure has been home to The York Club since 1909. Formerly the George Gooderham House, it’s located at 135 St George St and Bloor St W, on the northeast corner in The Annex neighbourhood - architect David Roberts Jr designed the heritage building in the Richardsonian Romanesque style
1892/2021 – Built in 1889/91, the structure has been home to The York Club since 1909. Formerly the George Gooderham House, it’s located at 135 St George St and Bloor St W, on the northeast corner in The Annex neighbourhood – architect David Roberts Jr designed the heritage building in the Richardsonian Romanesque style (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 3049)

2020/1908 – Built in 1876, the Edward Leadlay House is located at 25 Augusta Ave in the Alexandra Park neighbourhood. In 1906, it became a Salvation Army home until 1937, when the Felician Sisters purchased it. Today it’s the St Felix Centre – did you know that Augusta Ave was once named Esther St
2020/1908 – Built in 1876, the Edward Leadlay House is located at 25 Augusta Ave in the Alexandra Park neighbourhood. In 1906, it became a Salvation Army home until 1937, when the Felician Sisters purchased it. Today it’s the St Felix Centre – did you know that Augusta Ave was once named Esther St (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 3071)

1956/2020 - James Cooper House is located at 582 Sherbourne St and Linden St, on the northwest corner in the Upper Jarvis neighbourhood - the Second Empire style home was built in 1881/82 and is today home to the amenities area of the attached condo
1956/2020 – James Cooper House is located at 582 Sherbourne St and Linden St, on the northwest corner in the Upper Jarvis neighbourhood – the Second Empire style home was built in 1881/82 and is today home to the amenities area of the attached condo (Toronto Public Library R-3692)

1954/2020 – Formerly Avenue Road Presbyterian Church at 243 Avenue Rd and Roxborough St, northeast corner and since 1976, it has been home to Hare Krishna Temple ISKCON. Built in 1899, architects Gordon and Helliwell designed the church in the Gothic Romanesque Revival style
1954/2020 – Formerly Avenue Road Presbyterian Church at 243 Avenue Rd and Roxborough St, northeast corner and since 1976, it has been home to Hare Krishna Temple ISKCON. Built in 1899, architects Gordon and Helliwell designed the church in the Gothic Romanesque Revival style (Toronto Public Library R-1898)

2020/1950 - Central Technical School (CTS or Central Tech) is located at 725 Bathurst St and Harbord St, south of Bloor St W in the Harbord Village neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1913/14, architects Ross & Macfarlane designed the heritage-designated school
2020/1950 – Central Technical School (CTS or Central Tech) is located at 725 Bathurst St and Harbord St, south of Bloor St W in the Harbord Village neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1913/14, architects Ross & Macfarlane designed the heritage-designated school (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1128, Series 330, Item 94)

2021/1920 – Built in 1916 as the High School of Commerce and Finance, the school was later renamed Central Commerce Collegiate Institute. Today it's known as Central Toronto Academy at 570 Shaw St in the Bickford Park neighbourhood
2021/1920 – Built in 1916 as the High School of Commerce and Finance, the school was later renamed Central Commerce Collegiate Institute. Today it’s known as Central Toronto Academy at 570 Shaw St in the Bickford Park neighbourhood (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 271)

2020/1990-94 - The Runnymede Branch of the Toronto Public Library is located at 2178 Bloor St W and Glendonwynne Rd, on the northeast corner in the Bloor West Village - the library received heritage status from the city in 1975
2020/1990-94 – The Runnymede Branch of the Toronto Public Library is located at 2178 Bloor St W and Glendonwynne Rd, on the northeast corner in the Bloor West Village – the library received heritage status from the city in 1975 (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 422, Item 6)

2020/1908 - Looking southeast from College St towards St Stephen-in-the-Fields Anglican Church at 103 Bellevue Ave
2020/1908 – Looking southeast from College St towards St Stephen-in-the-Fields Anglican Church at 103 Bellevue Ave (Toronto Public Library R-4393)

2021/1972 – Looking southeast towards the corner of Howard St and Bleecker St
2021/1972 – Looking southeast towards the corner of Howard St and Bleecker St (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 14, Item 6)

1922/2021 - St Paul’s Basilica is located at 83 Power St and Queen St E, on the southeast corner in the Corktown neighbourhood. Completed in 1889, architect Joseph Connolly designed the church in the Italian Renaissance style
1922/2021 – St Paul’s Basilica is located at 83 Power St and Queen St E, on the southeast corner in the Corktown neighbourhood. Completed in 1889, architect Joseph Connolly designed the church in the Italian Renaissance style (Toronto Public Library TSPA_0111129F)

2021/1971 – C.P.R. North Toronto Station once at 10 Scrivener Sq at Yonge St. Now the flagship store of the L.C.B.O.
2021/1971 – C.P.R. North Toronto Station once at 10 Scrivener Sq at Yonge St. Now the flagship store of the L.C.B.O. (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 1, Item 100)

Source