Past & Present – Part 8

2021/1980 - The Matador Club was once located at 466 Dovercourt Rd, north of College St
2021/1980 – The Matador Club was once located at 466 Dovercourt Rd, north of College St (Toronto Public Library Lochist-BL-074)

1956/2021 – Looking northeast towards the Masonic Hall Buildings, now Gloucester Mews, is located at 601-613 Yonge St and 2 Gloucester St- built in 1888, architect Richard Ough designed the structure in the Victorian style
1956/2021 – Looking northeast towards the Masonic Hall Buildings, now Gloucester Mews, is located at 601-613 Yonge St and 2 Gloucester St- built in 1888, architect Richard Ough designed the structure in the Victorian style (Toronto Public Library R-5662)

1972/2021 – 238 Queen St W was built in 1912, and originally the St Patrick's Market – city architect George Frederick W Price designed the structure which received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1975
1972/2021 – 238 Queen St W was built in 1912, and originally the St Patrick’s Market – city architect George Frederick W Price designed the structure which received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1975 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds124, File2, ID 131)

1890s/2021 - Looking southeast towards the former Sherbourne Street Methodist Church, now St Luke's United Church, at Sherbourne St and Carlton St - an extension was added in 1961
1890s/2021 – Looking southeast towards the former Sherbourne Street Methodist Church, now St Luke’s United Church, at Sherbourne St and Carlton St – an extension was added in 1961 (Toronto Public Library R- 656)

1928/2021 – Looking east towards the bridge at Queen St E and De Grassi St (
1928/2021 – Looking east towards the bridge at Queen St E and De Grassi St (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 1385)

1980/2021 - Looking northwest towards the Bargain Club Super Store at 536 Lansdowne Ave, north of Bloor St W – once the Lansdowne Bingo
1980/2021 – Looking northwest towards the Bargain Club Super Store at 536 Lansdowne Ave, north of Bloor St W – once the Lansdowne Bingo (Toronto Public Library LOCHIST-PM-092)

2020/1950 – Looking northeast from Front St W towards Yonge St, the Bank of Montreal, today's Hockey Hall of Fame and the lost Board of Trade Building
2020/1950 – Looking northeast from Front St W towards Yonge St, the Bank of Montreal, today’s Hockey Hall of Fame and the lost Board of Trade Building (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1128, Series 380, Item 183)

2020/1907 - Jarvis Street Baptist Church at Gerrard St E and Jarvis St
2020/1907 – Jarvis Street Baptist Church at Gerrard St E and Jarvis St (Toronto Public Library r-521)

2020/1890s - Church of the Redeemer at 162 Bloor St W, looking north up Avenue Rd from Queens Park
2020/1890s – Church of the Redeemer at 162 Bloor St W, looking north up Avenue Rd from Queens Park (Toronto Public Library r-1919)

1920s/2021 - The Palais Royale Ballroom is located at 1601 Lake Shore Blvd W, near the foot of Roncesvalles Ave. Built in 1921/22, it was initially home to Deans’ Sunnyside Pleasure Boats and the Palais Royale
1920s/2021 – The Palais Royale Ballroom is located at 1601 Lake Shore Blvd W, near the foot of Roncesvalles Ave. Built in 1921/22, it was initially home to Deans’ Sunnyside Pleasure Boats and the Palais Royale (Toronto Public Library R-610)

2020/1910s – Looking northeast from the corner of Shuter St and Church St towards St Michael's Cathedral Basilica at 65 Bond St‬ in the Garden District - the church was built in 1845/48, architect William Thomas designed the church in the Gothic Revival style
2020/1910s – Looking northeast from the corner of Shuter St and Church St towards St Michael’s Cathedral Basilica at 65 Bond St‬ in the Garden District – the church was built in 1845/48, architect William Thomas designed the church in the Gothic Revival style (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1488, Series 1230, Item 1744)
1965/2020 - The Edward Leadlay House is located at 25 Augusta Ave, opposite Wolseley St in the Alexandra Park neighbourhood. The home was built in 1876, and today it’s the St Felix Centre – did you know that Augusta Ave was once named Esther St
1965/2020 – The Edward Leadlay House is located at 25 Augusta Ave, opposite Wolseley St in the Alexandra Park neighbourhood. The home was built in 1876, and today it’s the St Felix Centre – did you know that Augusta Ave was once named Esther St (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2043, Series 2523, File 44, Item 12)

2020/1972 - James Cooper House, a heritage property, is located at 582 Sherbourne St and Linden St, on the northwest corner - built in 1881/82, it was later known as the Keeley Institute for Nervous Diseases, then the Knights of Columbus, and today it’s home to the amenities area of the attached condo
2020/1972 – James Cooper House, a heritage property, is located at 582 Sherbourne St and Linden St, on the northwest corner – built in 1881/82, it was later known as the Keeley Institute for Nervous Diseases, then the Knights of Columbus, and today it’s home to the amenities area of the attached condo (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 7, Item 5)

2021/1956 – Looking southwest towards the Church of the Messiah at 240 Avenue Rd at Dupont St
2021/1956 – Looking southwest towards the Church of the Messiah at 240 Avenue Rd at Dupont St (Toronto Public Library R-1896)

2019/1980 - The Matador Club once occupied 466 Dovercourt Rd for over 40 years
2019/1980 – The Matador Club once occupied 466 Dovercourt Rd for over 40 years (Toronto Public Library Lochist-BL-074)

1953/2021 - Enoch Turner Schoolhouse at 106 Trinity St, south of King St E. Toronto’s first free school opened in 1849 as Ward Street School
1953/2021 – Enoch Turner Schoolhouse at 106 Trinity St, south of King St E. Toronto’s first free school opened in 1849 as Ward Street School (Toronto Public Library R-2817 )

1959/2021 - Looking southwest towards the corner of Avenue Rd and Boswell Ave in The Annex/Yorkville neighbourhoods of Toronto
1959/2021 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Avenue Rd and Boswell Ave in The Annex/Yorkville neighbourhoods of Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Series 65, File 56, ID 20)

1900-20/2020 – Looking southeast towards Little Trinity Church at 425 King St E and Trinity St - built in 1843/44, architect Henry Bowyer Lane designed the church in the Gothic Revival style
1900-20/2020 – Looking southeast towards Little Trinity Church at 425 King St E and Trinity St – built in 1843/44, architect Henry Bowyer Lane designed the church in the Gothic Revival style (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 676, Item 15)

1955/2020 – Originally the Zion Primitive Methodist Church and cemetery, today's Zion Church Cultural Centre at 1650 Finch Ave E at Skymark Dr, northwest corner in the Hillcrest Village neighbourhood - built in 1873, the church was designed in the Gothic Revival style
1955/2020 – Originally the Zion Primitive Methodist Church and cemetery, today’s Zion Church Cultural Centre at 1650 Finch Ave E at Skymark Dr, northwest corner in the Hillcrest Village neighbourhood – built in 1873, the church was designed in the Gothic Revival style (Toronto Public Library 2001-2-100)

2021/1950s – Joy Theatre, formerly the Rex Theatre, once at 1130 Queen St E at Bertmount Ave, northeast corner
2021/1950s – Joy Theatre, formerly the Rex Theatre, once at 1130 Queen St E at Bertmount Ave, northeast corner (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 464)

2021/1975 – Looking south towards Little Trinity Church at 425 King St E and Trinity St - built in 1843/44, architect Henry Bowyer Lane designed the church in the Gothic Revival style
2021/1975 – Looking south towards Little Trinity Church at 425 King St E and Trinity St – built in 1843/44, architect Henry Bowyer Lane designed the church in the Gothic Revival style (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 124, Series File 3, Item 35)

1927-2020 - Crosse & Blackwell, an English food company, once occupied 545 Lake Shore Blvd W at Bathurst St, southeast corner – now HFS Bathurst-Lakeshore Shelter - built in 1927, designed by architects Chapman and Oxley in the Art Deco style - received heritage status by the City of Toronto in 1973
1927-2020 – Crosse & Blackwell, an English food company, once occupied 545 Lake Shore Blvd W at Bathurst St, southeast corner – now HFS Bathurst-Lakeshore Shelter – built in 1927, designed by architects Chapman and Oxley in the Art Deco style – received heritage status in 1973 (Toronto Public Library 942-1-1)

2020/1972 – The northwest corner of Jarvis St and Gerrard St E has been home to Harvey's for half a century
2020/1972 – The northwest corner of Jarvis St and Gerrard St E has been home to Harvey’s for half a century (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 847, File 9, Item 1)

1972/2021 – 650 Bay St at Elm St, southwest corner - built in 1891, received heritage status by the City of Toronto in 2021
1972/2021 – 650 Bay St at Elm St, southwest corner – built in 1891, received heritage status by the City of Toronto in 2021 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 59, Item 28)

1963/2021 - Looking towards the northwest corner of King St E and Toronto St in Downtown Toronto. The building was once home to Letros Tavern
1963/2021 – Looking towards the northwest corner of King St E and Toronto St in Downtown Toronto. The building was once home to Letros Tavern (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 124, File 1, ID 113)

1952/2021 – Once the Brockton Town Hall, now home to Elite Plumbing & Heating Supplies at 1617 Dundas St W and Brock Ave, southwest corner just west of Dufferin St
1952/2021 – Once the Brockton Town Hall, now home to Elite Plumbing & Heating Supplies at 1617 Dundas St W and Brock Ave, the southwest corner just west of Dufferin St (Toronto Public Library r-5830)

2021-1972 - Daniel Brooke Building at 152 King St E and Jarvis St, northeast corner - built in 1833 for Daniel Brooke a merchant in the town of York, designed by architects Clark, Darling and Downey Architects in the Georgian style - received heritage status by the City of Toronto in 1973
2021-1972 – Daniel Brooke Building at 152 King St E and Jarvis St, northeast corner – built in 1833 for Daniel Brooke, a merchant in the town of York – received heritage status in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 22, Item 34)

2021/1962 - The Manulife Building is located at 200 Bloor St E in the Yorkville neighbourhood. Built in 1926 and originally known as the Manufacturers Life Building, it was designed by architects Sproatt & Rolph with later additions by Marani & Morris. The building received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1976
2021/1962 – The Manulife Building is located at 200 Bloor St E in the Yorkville neighbourhood. Built in 1926 and originally known as the Manufacturers Life Building, it was designed by architects Sproatt & Rolph with later additions by Marani & Morris. The building received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1976 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 8912)

1980/2021 – Bloor Lansdowne Christian Fellowship & Club Paradise at 1307-1313 Bloor St W between Lansdowne Ave and St Helen Ave on the south side - once Church of the Crusaders & New Bloor Hotel
1980/2021 – Bloor Lansdowne Christian Fellowship & Club Paradise at 1307-1313 Bloor St W between Lansdowne Ave and St Helen Ave on the south side – once Church of the Crusaders & New Bloor Hotel (Toronto Public Library LOCHIST-BL-006)

1898/2020 - Gooderham Building at Front St E, Wellington St E and Church St
1898/2020 – Gooderham Building at Front St E, Wellington St E and Church St (Toronto Public Library r-6249)

1933/2021 - A staged automobile/streetcar accident by the Ontario Safety League for publicity purposes - looking southeast at Bloor St W and Avenue Rd/Queen’s Park towards the Department of Household Science building
1933/2021 – A staged automobile/streetcar accident by the Ontario Safety League for publicity purposes – looking southeast at Bloor St W and Avenue Rd/Queen’s Park towards the Department of Household Science building (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 16, Series 71, Item 2429)

2021/1980-90s – Looking east from Varsity Stadium towards Bloor St W at Bedford Rd
2021/1980-90s – Looking east from Varsity Stadium towards Bloor St W at Bedford Rd (Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 278, Item 7)

1958/2021 - Looking southwest toward Bloor St W and Royal York Rd from Willingdon Blvd in The Kingsway neighbourhood. In the archive photo, notice Tamblyn Drugs on the right and Our Lady of Sorrows Church in the distance
1958/2021 – Looking southwest toward Bloor St W and Royal York Rd from Willingdon Blvd in The Kingsway neighbourhood. In the archive photo, notice Tamblyn Drugs on the right and Our Lady of Sorrows Church in the distance (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 7957)

2021/1916 - The  Beaches Branch of the Toronto Public Library at 2161 Queen St E, west of Lee Ave - built in 1916 and received heritage status in 1979
2021/1916 – The Beaches Branch of the Toronto Public Library at 2161 Queen St E, west of Lee Ave – built in 1916 and received heritage status in 1979 (Toronto Public Library r-5429)

2021/1972 - Munk School of Global Affairs and Public Policy (The Observatory) at 315 Bloor St W and Devonshire Pl, southeast corner - built in 1908 and once the Dominion Meteorological Building - received heritage status in 1973 (
2021/1972 – Munk School of Global Affairs and Public Policy (The Observatory) at 315 Bloor St W and Devonshire Pl, southeast corner – built in 1908 and once the Dominion Meteorological Building – received heritage status in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 66, Item 32)

1922/2021- Originally, the Melba Theatre, later Queen and then the Vogue Theatre, once located at 1574 Queen St E and Craven Rd on the northeast corner in Toronto's Leslieville neighbourhood. Today, the former theatre building is home to Security management Services
1922/2021- Originally, the Melba Theatre, later Queen and then the Vogue Theatre, once located at 1574 Queen St E and Craven Rd on the northeast corner in Toronto’s Leslieville neighbourhood. Today, the former theatre building is home to Security management Services (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 16, Series 71, Item 1702)

1950s/2021 – Joy Theatre was once located at 1130 Queen St E and Bertmount Ave, on the northeast corner in the Leslieville neighbourhood. Today the building is home to Dave's Hot Chicken
1950s/2021 – Joy Theatre was once located at 1130 Queen St E and Bertmount Ave, on the northeast corner in the Leslieville neighbourhood. Today the building is home to Dave’s Hot Chicken (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 464)

1972/2021 – Looking towards 354 King St E and Power St, on the northeast corner in the Corktown neighbourhood. Built between 1884 and 1889, today it's home to the Reyna on King restaurant. The building received heritage status from the city in 2020
1972/2021 – Looking towards 354 King St E and Power St, on the northeast corner in the Corktown neighbourhood. Built between 1884 and 1889, today it’s home to the Reyna on King restaurant. The building received heritage status from the city in 2020 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 11, Item 19)

2021/1970s – Once Becker's Milk at the southeast corner of Queen St E and Leuty Ave - now Toronto Beach Dental
2021/1970s – Once Becker’s Milk at the southeast corner of Queen St E and Leuty Ave – now Toronto Beach Dental (Toronto Public Library LOCHIST-BE-016 – copyright holder unknown)

2021/1972 - Queen St W and St Patrick St, northwest corner
2021/1972 – Queen St W and St Patrick St, northwest corner (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 65, Item 35)

2021/1955 - The Palais Royale Ballroom is located at 1601 Lake Shore Blvd W, near the foot of Roncesvalles Ave
2021/1955 – The Palais Royale Ballroom is located at 1601 Lake Shore Blvd W, near the foot of Roncesvalles Ave (Toronto Public Library r-568)

Source