Past & Present – Part 7

Posted:

1950/2020 - Canadian Blood Services, originally the Victoria Hospital For Sick Children, is located at 67 College St and Elizabeth St, on the southeast corner in the Discovery District of Toronto. Built in 1889/91, architects Darling & Curry designed the former hospital in the Richardsonian Romanesque style. Its generous benefactor was J Ross Robertson, founder of the Toronto Telegram. The hospital opened in 1892 and moved out in 1951. The building received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1973 and Ontario Heritage Trust in 1975
1950/2020 – Canadian Blood Services, originally the Victoria Hospital For Sick Children, is located at 67 College St and Elizabeth St, on the southeast corner in the Discovery District of Toronto. Built in 1889/91, architects Darling & Curry designed the former hospital in the Richardsonian Romanesque style. Its generous benefactor was J Ross Robertson, founder of the Toronto Telegram. The hospital opened in 1892 and moved out in 1951. The building received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1973 and Ontario Heritage Trust in 1975 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1128, Series 380, Item 155)

Looking east from Bellevue Ave, south of College St, towards St Stephen-In-The-Fields Church
2021/1954 – Looking east from Bellevue Ave, south of College St, towards St Stephen-In-The-Fields Church (Toronto Public Library R-4466)

1955/2020 - Sign of the Steer Restaurant/South Hill Home at Dupont St & Davenport Rd, northeast corner
1955/2020 – Sign of the Steer Restaurant/South Hill Home at Dupont St & Davenport Rd, (City of Toronto Archives)

1976/2020 - Howard Coffee Shop/Eggsmart at Sherbourne & Howard Sts, southeast corner
1976/2020 – Howard Coffee Shop/Eggsmart at Sherbourne & Howard Sts (City of Toronto Archives)

1972/2020 - Book Store/Aritzia at 280 Queen St W
1972/2020 – Book Store/Aritzia at 280 Queen St W (City of Toronto Archives)

1970's/2020 - Switzer's Deli/Bahn Mi Nguyen Huong Food Company at 322 Spadina Ave
1970’s/2020 – Switzer’s Deli/Bahn Mi Nguyen Huong Food Company at 322 Spadina Ave (City of Toronto Archives)

2020/1972 - Econo Lodge/Keystone Tavern at Jarvis St & Gerrard St E, southeast corner
2020/1972 – Econo Lodge/Keystone Tavern at Jarvis St & Gerrard St E, southeast corner (City of Toronto Archives)

1948/2019 - The El Mocambo Tavern at 464 Spadina Ave
1948/2019 – The El Mocambo Tavern at 464 Spadina Ave (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1488, Series 1230, Item 7343)

1910/2020 – Postcard of St Paul’s Basilica located on the southeast corner of Queen St E and Power St. Completed in 1889, architect Joseph Connolly designed the church in the Italian Renaissance style
1910/2020 – Postcard of St Paul’s Basilica located on the southeast corner of Queen St E and Power St. Completed in 1889, architect Joseph Connolly designed the church in the Italian Renaissance style (Toronto Public Library PC257)

2021/1980’s/1950 - CAA Theatre formerly the Panasonic Theatre at 651-653 Yonge St, east side south of Charles St – once Astor later Showcase Cinema
2021/1980’s/1950 – CAA Theatre at 651-653 Yonge St – once Astor later Showcase (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1128, Series 380, Item 288 & Series 1465, File 610, Item 12)

2021/1980’s - Cash 4 You at 529 Yonge St, east side north of Maitland St - once The Foundation Faith in God
2021/1980’s – Cash 4 You at 529 Yonge St, east side north of Maitland St – once The Foundation Faith in God (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 610, Item 21)

2021/1950/1924 – Yonge St and Dundas St W, northwest corner
2021/1950/1924 – Yonge St and Dundas St W, northwest corner (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1488, Series 1230, Item 1834 and Series 574, File 13, ID 49321)

2021/1913 - Toronto Public Library - Bloor/Gladstone Branch at 1101 Bloor St W
2021/1913 – Toronto Public Library – Bloor/Gladstone Branch at 1101 Bloor St W (Toronto Public Library r-4512)

2021/1936 - Originally the Allenby Theatre, later the Roxy, was once located at 1213 Danforth Ave, east of Greenwood Ave on the south side, in The Danforth neighbourhood. Built in 1935/36, the Art Moderne style building was designed by Kaplan & Sprachman, who specialized in designing movie theatres
2021/1936 – Originally the Allenby Theatre, later the Roxy, was once located at 1213 Danforth Ave, east of Greenwood Ave on the south side, in The Danforth neighbourhood. Built in 1935/36, the Art Moderne style building was designed by Kaplan & Sprachman, who specialized in designing movie theatres (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1488, Series 1230, Item 1117)

2021/Circa 1928 – Looking northeast towards the corner of Bloor St W and Bellair St, in the Yorkville neighbourhood of Toronto
2021/Circa 1928 – Looking northeast towards the corner of Bloor St W and Bellair St, in the Yorkville neighbourhood of Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 1168)

2020/1915 - Dr Henry H Moorhouse's once at Dundas St W and Spadina Ave, northeast corner
2020/1915 – Dr Henry H Moorhouse’s once at Dundas St W and Spadina Ave, northeast corner (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 295)

2021/1970’s – Buddies in Bad Times Theatre at 12 Alexander St – once Toronto Workshop Productions Theatre (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 6, Item 26)

2021/1963 - The Opera House, originally La Plaza, is located at 735 Queen St E, east of Broadview Ave on the south side. Built in 1909, architect Charles Wagner designed the structure. The building received heritage status from the city in 1984
2021/1963 – The Opera House, originally La Plaza, is located at 735 Queen St E, east of Broadview Ave on the south side. Built in 1909, architect Charles Wagner designed the structure. The building received heritage status from the city in 1984 (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1278, File 97)

2020/1972 - Chew Chew's Diner at 186 Carlton St and Bleecker St, northwest corner - once Steer Burgers
2020/1972 – Chew Chew’s Diner at 186 Carlton St and Bleecker St, northwest corner – once Steer Burgers (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 69, Item 2)

2021/1937 - Bellevue Theatre, later Lux Burlesque, once at 360-362 College St on the north side, west of Brunswick Ave in the Harbord Village neighbourhood. The building that housed the theatre no longer exists and was replaced with the present-day structure
2021/1937 – Bellevue Theatre, later Lux Burlesque, once at 360-362 College St on the north side, west of Brunswick Ave in the Harbord Village neighbourhood. The building that housed the theatre no longer exists and was replaced with the present-day structure (Ontario Jewish Archives, Blankenstein Family Heritage Centre, Fonds 27, Series 1, File 8, Item 1)

2021/ 1897 - St Lawrence Hall at 157 King St E at Jarvis St, southwest corner - constructed in 1850 at a cost of £5,455 to build
2021/ 1897 – St Lawrence Hall at 157 King St E at Jarvis St, southwest corner – constructed in 1850 at a cost of £5,455 to build (Toronto Public Library r-4335)

December 28, 1932/June 13, 2021 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Davenport Rd and Bathurst St, in the Wychwood neighbourhood of Toronto. Today, the Tollkeeper's Cottage Museum is located in Tollkeeper's Park at 750 Davenport Rd
December 28, 1932/June 13, 2021 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Davenport Rd and Bathurst St, in the Wychwood neighbourhood of Toronto. Today, the Tollkeeper’s Cottage Museum is located in Tollkeeper’s Park at 750 Davenport Rd (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 1658)

1935/2021 - Revue Theatre at ‪400 Roncesvalles Ave, south of Howard Park Ave on the west side - opened in 1912
1935/2021 – Revue Theatre at ‪400 Roncesvalles Ave, south of Howard Park Ave on the west side – opened in 1912 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1488, Series 1230, Item 1109)

2021/1954 – Courtyard by Marriott at Yonge and Alexander Sts, southeast corner - once Hotel Torontonian
2021/1954 – Courtyard by Marriott at Yonge and Alexander Sts, southeast corner – once Hotel Torontonian (Toronto Public Library, R-3623)

2020/1907 - Looking north up Toronto St from King St E towards the General Post Office once located at 38-42 Adelaide St E. Today the land is home to the Mackenzie Building
2020/1907 – Looking north up Toronto St from King St E towards the General Post Office once located at 38-42 Adelaide St E. Today the land is home to the Mackenzie Building (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 1176)

Circa 1945/2020 - Looking northeast towards the corner of Yonge St and Shaftesbury Ave in the Summerhill neighbourhood of Toronto. The archive photo shows The Rosedale Hotel once stood on the corner. The building has been replaced, and the site is now home to the Archdiocese of Toronto
Circa 1945/2020 – Looking northeast towards the corner of Yonge St and Shaftesbury Ave in the Summerhill neighbourhood of Toronto. The archive photo shows The Rosedale Hotel once stood on the corner. The building has been replaced, and the site is now home to the Archdiocese of Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 535)

2020/1972 – Looking southwest toward the corner of Dundas St E and Church St in Downtown Toronto. The building at 260 Church St was originally The Sterling Bank of Canada, then CIBC and later Pizza Pizza. The building received heritage status from the city in 2021. Update - as of 2022, Pizza Pizza has since moved
2020/1972 – Looking southwest toward the corner of Dundas St E and Church St in Downtown Toronto. The building at 260 Church St was originally The Sterling Bank of Canada, then CIBC and later Pizza Pizza. The building received heritage status from the city in 2021. Update – as of 2022, Pizza Pizza has since moved (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 51, Item 18)

SOURCE

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

24,077FollowersFollow
103FollowersFollow
8,850FollowersFollow