Past & Present – Part 6

Posted:

1925/2020 – Holy Name Parish is located at Gough Ave and Danforth Ave, northeast corner in the Greektown neighbourhood
1925/2020 – Holy Name Parish is located at Gough Ave and Danforth Ave, northeast corner in the Greektown neighbourhood (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1266, Item 6651)

2020/1975 - Looking northeast towards the Toronto Police Service 51 Division at the corner of Parliament St and Front St E, in the Corktown and West Don Lands neighbourhoods of Toronto. Built in 1898/99 for Consumers Gas Company Water Gas Purifying House, the building received heritage status in 1973
2020/1975 – Looking northeast towards the Toronto Police Service 51 Division at the corner of Parliament St and Front St E, in the Corktown and West Don Lands neighbourhoods of Toronto. Built in 1898/99 for Consumers Gas Company Water Gas Purifying House, the building received heritage status in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 124, File 3, Item 37)

2021/1923 - Mount Pleasant Road Baptist Church at 527 Mt Pleasant Rd and Belsize Dr, southeast corner
2021/1923 – Mount Pleasant Road Baptist Church at 527 Mt Pleasant Rd and Belsize Dr, southeast corner (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1266, Item 72)

1925/2020 - Looking towards 165 Front St E and Frederick St, on the southeast corner in the St Lawrence neighbourhood. Built in 1889 for the Toronto Street Railway Company, today it's home to the Yonge People's Theatre. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1973
1925/2020 – Looking towards 165 Front St E and Frederick St, on the southeast corner in the St Lawrence neighbourhood. Built in 1889 for the Toronto Street Railway Company, today it’s home to the Yonge People’s Theatre. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 16, Series 71, Item 3680)

2021/1972 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Dundas St E and Pembroke St in the Garden District. Once home to Norm's Open Kitchen and Stouffville Marketeria
2021/1972 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Dundas St E and Pembroke St in the Garden District. Once home to Norm’s Open Kitchen and Stouffville Marketeria (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 18, Item 29)

March 6, 2021/1928 – The beautiful Art-Deco style arched entryway of the Concourse Building, today part of EY Tower, at 100 Adelaide St W in the Financial District of Toronto
March 6, 2021/1928 – The beautiful Art-Deco style arched entryway of the Concourse Building, today part of EY Tower, at 100 Adelaide St W in the Financial District of Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Baldwin and Greene, Architects fonds, Fonds 444, Series 2386, Item 15)

Between 1976-99/November 4, 2020 – Looking northeast towards the Concourse Building today, today part of EY Tower (Ernst & Young) at the corner of Adelaide St W and Sheppard St in Toronto's Financial District of Toronto.

The Concourse Building, an example of Art Deco architecture, was originally constructed in 1928. It features one of the most striking entrances in the city, with artwork by J.E.H. MacDonald. In 2013, the aging Concourse Building underwent a dismantling process, with some components preserved for use in a replica reconstruction. These preserved elements include mosaics, ceilings, stonework and brickwork. The south and east replica facades of the Concourse Building were later integrated into the 40-storey EY Tower, adding a historical and architectural dimension to the completed structure
Between 1976-99/November 4, 2020 – Looking northeast towards the Concourse Building today, today part of EY Tower (Ernst & Young) at the corner of Adelaide St W and Sheppard St in Toronto’s Financial District of Toronto.

The Concourse Building, an example of Art Deco architecture, was originally constructed in 1928. It features one of the most striking entrances in the city, with artwork by J.E.H. MacDonald. In 2013, the aging Concourse Building underwent a dismantling process, with some components preserved for use in a replica reconstruction. These preserved elements include mosaics, ceilings, stonework and brickwork. The south and east replica facades of the Concourse Building were later integrated into the 40-storey EY Tower, adding a historical and architectural dimension to the completed structure (City of Toronto Archives, Toronto Historical Board fonds, Fonds 2043, Series 2523, File 7, Item 1)

March 30, 1933/July 24, 2021 - Toronto Fire Station 324 is located at 840 Gerrard St E, west of Carlaw Ave in the North Riverdale neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1931, the fire hall was designed by city architect J.J. Woolnough in the Art Deco style and received heritage status by the city in 1982
March 30, 1933/July 24, 2021 – Toronto Fire Station 324 is located at 840 Gerrard St E, west of Carlaw Ave in the North Riverdale neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1931, the fire hall was designed by city architect J.J. Woolnough in the Art Deco style and received heritage status by the city in 1982 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 360 – James Victor Salmon photographer)

1972/2021 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Carlton St and Church St in the Church and Wellesley neighbourhood. Built in 1895 and originally the Somerset House Hotel, the building was later home to CIBC and today Pi Co. Pizza. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1974
1972/2021 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Carlton St and Church St in the Church and Wellesley neighbourhood. Built in 1895 and originally the Somerset House Hotel, the building was later home to CIBC and today Pi Co. Pizza. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1974 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 51, Item 35)

1972/2021 – Looking northeast towards the corner of Church St and Maitland St in the Church and Wellesley neighbourhood. Once occupied by Biggy’s Burgers, today 477 Church St is home to Church Street Garage Bar
1972/2021 – Looking northeast towards the corner of Church St and Maitland St in the Church and Wellesley neighbourhood. Once occupied by Biggy’s Burgers, today 477 Church St is home to Church Street Garage Bar (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 17, Item 8)

2021/1952 – Danforth Ave and Jones Ave, southeast corner
2021/1952 – Danforth Ave and Jones Ave, southeast corner (City of Toronto Archives, Series 372, Sub Series 58, Item 2352)

1944/July 24, 2021 – Looking northeast towards the corner of Bloor St W and Bartlett Ave, in the Bloorcourt Village of Toronto
1944/July 24, 2021 – Looking northeast towards the corner of Bloor St W and Bartlett Ave, in the Bloorcourt Village of Toronto (Toronto Public Library R-4505)

1972/2021 - Evangel Temple, originally Bond Street Congregational Church, once at Bond St and Dundas St E, northeast corner
1972/2021 – Evangel Temple, originally Bond Street Congregational Church, once at Bond St and Dundas St E, northeast corner (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 13, Item 32)

1972/2021– Looking southeast towards Stanley's Variety at 237 Gerrard St E and Ontario St – built in 1875 as the Edwin Hough House and received heritage status in 1995
1972/2021– Looking southeast towards Stanley’s Variety at 237 Gerrard St E and Ontario St – built in 1875 as the Edwin Hough House and received heritage status in 1995 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 12, Item 19)

2021/1972 – Looking northeast towards the Hair Of The Dog Neighbourhood Pub & Restaurant at 425 Church St and Wood St - once the Le Baron Steak House
2021/1972 – Looking northeast towards the Hair Of The Dog Neighbourhood Pub & Restaurant at 425 Church St and Wood St – once the Le Baron Steak House (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 17, Item 2)

1960s/1921 – Looking east towards the Sunnyside/Gus Ryder Outdoor Pool at 1755 Lake Shore Blvd W and Parkside Dr, in the Sunnyside neighbourhood of Toronto. The pool is named in honour of Marilyn Bell’s swimming coach
1960s/1921 – Looking east towards the Sunnyside/Gus Ryder Outdoor Pool at 1755 Lake Shore Blvd W and Parkside Dr, in the Sunnyside neighbourhood of Toronto. The pool is named in honour of Marilyn Bell’s swimming coach (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 6495)

1925/2021 – Looking east along the boardwalk, once known as “Strutters Walk,” in front of the Sunnyside Bathing Pavilion at 1755 Lake Shore Blvd W in Toronto.

In 1922, the Toronto Harbour Commission opened the Sunnyside Amusement Area – a waterside park that featured midway rides, food, games and concert stages. The architecture firm Chapman, Oxley & Bishop designed the park and its buildings, including the Beaux-Arts style Sunnyside Bathing Pavilion.

The amusement area was a beloved summer hotspot where visitors enjoyed events such as the Miss Toronto beauty pageant, daring performances, and musical acts. The large pool, dubbed “The Sunnyside Tank,” opened in 1925.
Declining attendance after the Second World War, roadway developments along the lakeshore, and three fires in 1955 led to the amusement park’s closure and demolition of most of its buildings.

In 1975, the bathing pavilion, under threat of being torn down, was granted heritage status by the city. Subsequently, in 1980, the pavilion was renovated, and the pool was renamed Gus Ryder Outdoor Pool to honour Marilyn Bell‘s swimming coach
1925/2021 – Looking east along the boardwalk, once known as “Strutters Walk,” in front of the Sunnyside Bathing Pavilion at 1755 Lake Shore Blvd W in Toronto.

In 1922, the Toronto Harbour Commission opened the Sunnyside Amusement Area – a waterside park that featured midway rides, food, games and concert stages. The architecture firm Chapman, Oxley & Bishop designed the park and its buildings, including the Beaux-Arts style Sunnyside Bathing Pavilion.

The amusement area was a beloved summer hotspot where visitors enjoyed events such as the Miss Toronto beauty pageant, daring performances, and musical acts. The large pool, dubbed “The Sunnyside Tank,” opened in 1925.
Declining attendance after the Second World War, roadway developments along the lakeshore, and three fires in 1955 led to the amusement park’s closure and demolition of most of its buildings.

In 1975, the bathing pavilion, under threat of being torn down, was granted heritage status by the city. Subsequently, in 1980, the pavilion was renovated, and the pool was renamed Gus Ryder Outdoor Pool to honour Marilyn Bell‘s swimming coach (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1266, Item 4959)

1922/2021 - Sunnyside Bathing Pavilion located on the south side of Lake Shore Blvd W, just west of Parkside Dr
1922/2021 – Sunnyside Bathing Pavilion located on the south side of Lake Shore Blvd W, just west of Parkside Dr (Library and Archives Canada a097214)

1978/2021 – Looking northeast towards Dundas St E and Mutual St, once home to Deny's Barbeque, Ted's Variety and Tom's Open Kitchen. Notice the Warwick Hotel sign in the archive photo. Today Plug Canna6is occupies the space at 152 Dundas St E
1978/2021 – Looking northeast towards Dundas St E and Mutual St, once home to Deny’s Barbeque, Ted’s Variety and Tom’s Open Kitchen. Notice the Warwick Hotel sign in the archive photo. Today Plug Canna6is occupies the space at 152 Dundas St E (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 9, Item 12)

Teck Theatre was once located at 700 Queen St E, west of Broadview Ave on the north side in the Riverside area. The moving-picture and vaudeville theatre was open from 1931 to 1933 and built by JJ O’Neill, who also owned the neighbouring Broadview Hotel
2021/1932 – Teck Theatre was once located at 700 Queen St E, west of Broadview Ave on the north side in the Riverside area. The moving-picture and vaudeville theatre was open from 1931 to 1933 and built by JJ O’Neill, who also owned the neighbouring Broadview Hotel (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 641)

1972/2020 - Peter Pan Bistro occupies the building at 373 Queen St W and Peter St, southeast corner - built in 1890, received heritage status by the City of Toronto in 1978
1972/2020 – Peter Pan Bistro occupies the building at 373 Queen St W and Peter St, southeast corner – built in 1890, received heritage status by the City of Toronto in 1978 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 48, Item 29)

2021/1913 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Queen St W and York St. Today, the block is home to the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts and the Canadian Opera Company
2021/1913 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Queen St W and York St. Today, the block is home to the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts and the Canadian Opera Company (Toronto Public Library R-4084)

SOURCE

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

24,817FollowersFollow
103FollowersFollow
8,850FollowersFollow