Past & Present – Part 5

1932/2021 - Teck Theatre was once located at 700 Queen St E, west of Broadview Ave on the north side in the Riverside area. The vaudeville and moving-picture theatre was open from 1931 to 1933 and built by JJ O’Neill, who also owned the neighbouring Broadview Hotel
1932/2021 – Teck Theatre was once located at 700 Queen St E, west of Broadview Ave on the north side in the Riverside area. The vaudeville and moving-picture theatre was open from 1931 to 1933 and built by JJ O’Neill, who also owned the neighbouring Broadview Hotel (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 641)

2020/1972 - Home Furniture Carpet Co once at 339 Queen St E at Parliament St, southwest corner - built in 1907, designed by architect Henry Simpson - Marty Millionaire Ltd occupied the space between 1978 to 2014 - the building received heritage status in 2015 and was renovated in 2017 for WE Charity for their WE Global Learning Centre
2020/1972 – Home Furniture Carpet Co once at 339 Queen St E at Parliament St, southwest corner – built in 1907, designed by architect Henry Simpson – Marty Millionaire Ltd occupied the space between 1978 to 2014 – the building received heritage status in 2015 and was renovated in 2017 for WE Charity for their WE Global Learning Centre (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 16, Item 16)

2021/1972 – The Bullger occupies 348 Queen St E at Parliament St, northeast corner - built in 1929, received heritage status by the City of Toronto in 2020
2021/1972 – The Bullger occupies 348 Queen St E at Parliament St, northeast corner – built in 1929, received heritage status by the City of Toronto in 2020 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 16, Item 14)

1973/2020 – Second Cup Coffee Co occupies the William Barber Building at 287-289 King St W and John St, southwest corner - built in 1880, received heritage status in 1977
1973/2020 – Second Cup Coffee Co occupies the William Barber Building at 287-289 King St W and John St, southwest corner – built in 1880, received heritage status in 1977 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 67, Item 40)

1972/2021 – 187 King St E at George St, southeast corner – once the Little York Hotel, built in 1879-80, designed by architects Langley, Langley and Burke in the Second Empire style - received heritage status by the City of Toronto in 1973
1972/2021 – 187 King St E at George St, southeast corner – once the Little York Hotel, built in 1879-80, designed by architects Langley, Langley and Burke in the Second Empire style – received heritage status in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 20, Item 10)

1920s/2021 – Looking east from Danforth Ave and Pape Ave - notice the Palace Theatre on the right side opened from 1924 to 1987
1920s/2021 – Looking east from Danforth Ave and Pape Ave – notice the Palace Theatre on the right side opened from 1924 to 1987 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1488, Series 1230, Item 2959)

1927/2021 – Looking northeast from Danforth Ave and Pape Ave – the Palace Theatre on the right opened from 1924 to 1987
1927/2021 – Looking northeast from Danforth Ave and Pape Ave – the Palace Theatre on the right opened from 1924 to 1987 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 16, Series 71, Item 5484)

1972/2020 - Spadina Ave at Sussex Ave, northwest corner south of Bloor St W
1972/2020 – Spadina Ave at Sussex Ave, northwest corner south of Bloor St W (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 55, Item 13)

2021-1971 - Daniel Brooke Building at 152 King St E and Jarvis St, northeast corner - built in 1833 for Daniel Brooke a merchant in the town of York, designed by architects Clark, Darling and Downey Architects in the Georgian style - received heritage status by the City of Toronto in 1973
2021-1971 – Daniel Brooke Building at 152 King St E and Jarvis St, northeast corner – built in 1833 – received heritage status in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 61, Item 13)

2021/1939 - Timothy Eaton Memorial Church at 230 St Clair Ave W, between Warren Rd and Dunvegan Rd on the north Side - built in 1915
2021/1939 – Timothy Eaton Memorial Church at 230 St Clair Ave W, between Warren Rd and Dunvegan Rd on the north Side – built in 1915 (Toronto Public Library r-206)

2021/1927 – Corpus Christi Church at 1810 Queen St E and Lockwood Rd - built in 1927, designed by architect John Gibb Morton in the Romanesque Revival style - received heritage status by the City of Toronto in 1973
2021/1927 – Corpus Christi Church at 1810 Queen St E and Lockwood Rd – built in 1927, designed by architect John Gibb Morton in the Romanesque Revival style – received heritage status by the City of Toronto in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1266, Item 10364)

1956-2020 – First Evangelical Lutheran Church at 116 Bond St, north of Dundas St E - built in 1898, received Heritage Status in 1973
1956-2020 – First Evangelical Lutheran Church at 116 Bond St, north of Dundas St E – built in 1898, received Heritage Status in 1973 (Toronto Public Library r-3540)

2020/1952 - Riverside Evangelical Missionary Church at 456 King St E at Bright St, northwest corner – once King Street East Methodist Church, built in 1903
2020/1952 – Riverside Evangelical Missionary Church at 456 King St E at Bright St, northwest corner – once King Street East Methodist Church, built in 1903 (Toronto Public Library r-2789)

2020/1957 - Ukrainian Evangelical Baptist Church at 148 Tecumseth St at Richmond St W - once the Memorial Baptist Church, built in 1897 (Toronto Public Library r-2876)
2020/1957 – Ukrainian Evangelical Baptist Church at 148 Tecumseth St at Richmond St W – once the Memorial Baptist Church, built in 1897 (Toronto Public Library r-2876)


2020/1914 - Yonge St at College St looking southwest towards College Park (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 500)
2020/1914 – Yonge St at College St looking southwest towards College Park (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 500)

2020/1953 - Yonge St entrance to the Eaton's College Street store, decorated for coronation of Queen Elizabeth II
2020/1953 – Yonge St entrance to the Eaton’s College Street store, decorated for the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 492, Item 26)

2020/1873 - Gooderham Building at Front St E, Wellington St E and Church St – once the Coffin Block
2020/1873 – Gooderham Building at Front St E, Wellington St E and Church St – once the Coffin Block (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 7335)

2020/1898 - Gooderham Building at Front St E, Wellington St E and Church St
2020/1898 – Gooderham Building at Front St E, Wellington St E and Church St (Toronto Public Library r-6249)

1898/1873 - The Coffin Block once at Front St E, Wellington St E and Church St - now the Gooderham Building
1898/1873 – The Coffin Block once at Front St E, Wellington St E and Church St – now the Gooderham Building (Toronto Public Library r-6249 & City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 7335)

1907/2020 – A view of Bay St looking north towards Queen St W and Old City Hall
1907/2020 – A view of Bay St looking north towards Queen St W and Old City Hall (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 7141)

2021/1972 - Thomas Thompson Building at 185 King St E at George St, southwest corner - build in 1833
2021/1972 – Thomas Thompson Building at 185 King St E at George St, southwest corner – built in 1833 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 20, Item 11)

2020/1972 - King St E at George St, northwest corner
2020/1972 – King St E at George St, northwest corner (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 20, Item 8)

2021/1972 – Looking southwest towards the William Copeland Buildings at 247 King St E and Sherbourne St in the Old Town neighbourhood. Built in 1879, the structure received heritage status from the city in 1973
2021/1972 – Looking southwest towards the William Copeland Buildings at 247 King St E and Sherbourne St in the Old Town neighbourhood. Built in 1879, the structure received heritage status from the city in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 70, Item 27)

2021/1972 - Imperial Bank of Canada was once located at 230 King St E and Sherbourne St, northeast corner. Built in 1908, the bank's facade was preserved and is now the entrance of Kings Court Condos
2021/1972 – Imperial Bank of Canada was once located at 230 King St E and Sherbourne St, northeast corner. Built in 1908, the bank’s facade was preserved and is now the entrance of Kings Court Condos (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 8, Item 6)

2021/1972 – 251 King St E at Sherbourne St, southeast corner - built in 1868, a condo was incorporated on the top of the building
2021/1972 – 251 King St E at Sherbourne St, southeast corner – built in 1868, a condo was incorporated on the top of the building (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 70, Item 26)

2021/1945 - National Hotel and Tavern, originally the Grand Central Hotel once at 251 King St E at Sherbourne St, southeast corner - built in 1868, a condo was incorporated on the top of the building in 2016
2021/1945 – National Hotel and Tavern, originally the Grand Central Hotel once at 251 King St E at Sherbourne St, southeast corner – built in 1868, a condo was incorporated on the top of the building in 2016 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 531)

2021/1971 - Church St and Monteith St, northeast corner - view of houses at the corner
2021/1971 – Church St and Monteith St, northeast corner – view of houses at the corner (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 8, Item 55)

2021/1971 - Church St at Monteith St - looking northeast from Dundonald St, across from Barbara Hall Park
2021/1971 – Church St at Monteith St – looking northeast from Dundonald St, across from Barbara Hall Park (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 61, Item 78)

2021/1932 - Church of the Redeemer at Bloor St W at Avenue Rd, northeast corner – also shown is the original location of The Alexandra Gates on Queen’s Park, on the south side of Bloor St W
2021/1932 – Church of the Redeemer at Bloor St W at Avenue Rd, northeast corner – also shown is the original location of The Alexandra Gates on Queen’s Park, on the south side of Bloor St W (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds, Series 372, Sub Series 1, Item 1087)

1958/2019 - Patrician Grill at 219 King St E - since the 1950s
1958/2019 – Patrician Grill at 219 King St E – since the 1950s (City of Toronto Archives, Series 65, File 16, Item 5)

2020/1972 – Front St E at Jarvis St, northeast corner
2020/1972 – Front St E at Jarvis St, northeast corner (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 2, Item 13 & Google Maps)

2020/1959 - Hotel 89 at 89 Avenue Rd, north of Bloor St W - once the Regency Towers Hotel - the building was demolished in 2021
2020/1959 – Hotel 89 at 89 Avenue Rd, north of Bloor St W – once the Regency Towers Hotel – the building was demolished in 2021 (City of Toronto Archives, Series 65, File 56, Item 146)

2020/1972 - Hotel Ocho at 195 Spadina Ave at Phoebe St, southeast corner - once was the Reliable Tobacco Co
2020/1972 – Hotel Ocho at 195 Spadina Ave at Phoebe St, southeast corner – once was the Reliable Tobacco Co (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 47, Item 25)

2021/1945 - Hotel Sheldon was once located at 75 Victoria St, north of Lombard St on the east side. Built in 1907/08, the building was designed by architect Henry Simpson and was originally the Strand Hotel. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1973
2021/1945 – Hotel Sheldon was once located at 75 Victoria St, north of Lombard St on the east side. Built in 1907/08, the building was designed by architect Henry Simpson and was originally the Strand Hotel. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 538)

2021/1916 - C.P.R. North Toronto Station once at 10 Scrivener Sq at Yonge St. Now the flagship store of the L.C.B.O.
2021/1916 – C.P.R. North Toronto Station once at 10 Scrivener Sq at Yonge St. Now the flagship store of the L.C.B.O. (Toronto Public Library r-3762)

2021/1956 – Looking east from Sherbourne St and Howard St
2021/1956 – Looking east from Sherbourne St and Howard St (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, File 844, Item 23)

1936/2021 - Park Plaza Hotel now Park Hyatt at 4 Avenue Rd at Bloor St W, northwest corner
1936/2021 – Park Plaza Hotel now Park Hyatt at 4 Avenue Rd at Bloor St W, northwest corner (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1034, Item 173)

2021/1964 - Demolition of the Registry of Deeds and Land Titles building and the construction of Toronto’s New City Hall at 100 Queen St W, looking northeast
2021/1964 – Demolition of the Registry of Deeds and Land Titles building and the construction of Toronto’s New City Hall at 100 Queen St W, looking northeast (Canadian Architectural Archives, Panda Associates Fonds, PAN 61881-207)

SOURCE