Past & Present – Part 3

1939/2020 - Metro Theatre was once located at 677 Bloor St W, between Manning Ave and Clinton St on the south side. Built in 1938, architects Kaplan & Sprachman designed the theatre in the Art Deco Style. On the marquee, "Delinquent Parents," starring Doris Weston, Maurice Murphy and Helen MacKellar, was playing. Today, the former theatre building is home to Basecamp Climbing Bloor West
1939/2020 – Metro Theatre was once located at 677 Bloor St W, between Manning Ave and Clinton St on the south side. Built in 1938, architects Kaplan & Sprachman designed the theatre in the Art Deco Style. On the marquee, “Delinquent Parents,” starring Doris Weston, Maurice Murphy and Helen MacKellar, was playing. Today, the former theatre building is home to Basecamp Climbing Bloor West (City of Toronto Archives, Mandel Sprachman Architect Fonds, Fonds 122, Series 881, File 350)

1937/2021 - Parkdale Theatre once at 1605 Queen St W at Triller Ave, southwest corner - opened from 1920 to 1970 - now Ambrosia Cannabis Emporium
1937/2021 – Parkdale Theatre once at 1605 Queen St W at Triller Ave, southwest corner – opened from 1920 to 1970 – now Ambrosia Cannabis Emporium (photo of a photo taken at City of Toronto Archives, Series 1278)

2021/1920-26 - Parkdale Theatre once at 1605 Queen St W at Triller Ave, southwest corner - opened from 1920 to 1970
2021/1920-26 – Parkdale Theatre once at 1605 Queen St W at Triller Ave, southwest corner – opened from 1920 to 1970 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1488, Series 1230, Item 2964)

Rialto Theatre was once located at 219-221 Yonge St and Shuter St, on the southeast corner in the Downtown Yonge area
2021/1916 – Rialto Theatre was once located at 219-221 Yonge St and Shuter St, on the southeast corner in the Downtown Yonge area (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 2216)

2021/1921 - Shea's Hippodrome Theatre once at 18 Teraulay St (which later became 440 Bay St), north of Queen St W on the east side - opened from 1914 to about 1957
2021/1921 – Shea’s Hippodrome Theatre once at 18 Teraulay St (which later became 440 Bay St), north of Queen St W on the east side – opened from 1914 to about 1957 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 840)

2021/1924 - Grand Opera House once at 9-15 Adelaide St W, west of Yonge St on south side - opened from 1874 to 1927, building no longer exists
2021/1924 – Grand Opera House once at 9-15 Adelaide St W, west of Yonge St on the south side – opened from 1874 to 1927, building no longer exists (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 7069)

2021/1885-95 - Grand Opera House once at 9-15 Adelaide St W, west of Yonge St on the south side - opened from 1874 to 1927, building no longer exists
2021/1885-95 – Grand Opera House once at 9-15 Adelaide St W, west of Yonge St on the south side – opened from 1874 to 1927, building no longer exists (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 26)

2021/1936 - Eglinton Theatre once at 400 Eglinton Ave W, west of Avenue Rd on north side - opened from 1936 to 2002, now the Eglinton Grand an entertainment venue
2021/1936 – Eglinton Theatre once at 400 Eglinton Ave W, – opened from 1936 to 2002, now the Eglinton Grand an entertainment venue (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 122, Series 881)

2021/1936 - Eglinton Theatre once at 400 Eglinton Ave W, west of Avenue Rd on the north side - opened from 1936 to 2002, now the Eglinton Grand an entertainment venue
2021/1936 – Eglinton Theatre once at 400 Eglinton Ave W, west of Avenue Rd on the north side – opened from 1936 to 2002, now the Eglinton Grand an entertainment venue (Mandel Sprachman Architect Fonds, photo of photo taken at City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 122, Series 881)

2020/1972 - Victory Burlesque Theatre was once located at 287 Spadina Ave and Dundas St W, on the northeast corner in the Chinatown neighbourhood. Today the former theatre building is home to Rexall
2020/1972 – Victory Burlesque Theatre was once located at 287 Spadina Ave and Dundas St W, on the northeast corner in the Chinatown neighbourhood. Today the former theatre building is home to Rexall (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 47, Item 15)

2020/1955 – Odeon Humber Theatre, later Humber Cinemas once at 2442-2444 Bloor St W, west of Jane St on north side - opened from 1949 to 2019
2020/1955 – Odeon Humber Theatre, later Humber Cinemas once at 2442-2444 Bloor St W, west of Jane St on the north side – opened from 1949 to 2019 (1955 photo of a photo taken at City of Toronto Archives)

2021/1954 - Bloor St W and Jane St, north side
2021/1954 – Bloor St W and Jane St, north side (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 492, Item 268)

2021/1972 - St Lawrence Centre for the Arts at 27 Front St E, east of Yonge St on the south side - opened in 1967
2021/1972 – St Lawrence Centre for the Arts at 27 Front St E, east of Yonge St on the south side – opened in 1967 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 13, Item 17)

2021/1928 - Scadding Cabin located at the southwest end of Exhibition Place - the cabin is in an area known as the "Historic Mile" near Fort Rouillé, the Stanley Barracks and Fort York (
2021/1928 – Scadding Cabin located at the southwest end of Exhibition Place – the cabin is in an area known as the “Historic Mile” near Fort Rouillé, the Stanley Barracks and Fort York (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 16, Series 71, Item 6099)

2020/1972 - Front St E and Berkeley St, southwest corner
2020/1972 – Front St E and Berkeley St, southwest corner (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 21, Item 17)

2021/2015 - Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema, previously Bloor Hot Docs Cinema at 506 Bloor St W
2021/2015 – Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema, previously Bloor Hot Docs Cinema at 506 Bloor St W (Google Maps)

2021/2011 - Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema, previously Bloor Cinema at 506 Bloor St W, east of Bathurst St on north side - there has been a theatre in this location since 1913
2021/2011 – Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema, previously Bloor Cinema at 506 Bloor St W (Google Maps)

2021/1960 - Lux Burlesque, formerly Bellevue Theatre, once at 360-362 College St on the north side, west of Brunswick Ave in the Harbord Village neighbourhood. The building that housed the theatre no longer exists and was replaced with the present-day medical office building
2021/1960 – Lux Burlesque, formerly Bellevue Theatre, once at 360-362 College St on the north side, west of Brunswick Ave in the Harbord Village neighbourhood. The building that housed the theatre no longer exists and was replaced with the present-day medical office building (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 476)

2021/ 1972 - St Lawrence Hall at 157 King St E at Jarvis St, southwest corner - constructed in 1850 at a cost of £5,455 to build
2021/ 1972 – St Lawrence Hall at 157 King St E at Jarvis St, southwest corner (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 22, Item 36)

2021/ 1980 - St Lawrence Hall at 157 King St E at Jarvis St, southwest corner - constructed in 1850 at a cost of £5,455 to build
2021/ 1980 – St Lawrence Hall at 157 King St E at Jarvis St, southwest corner (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 64, Item 108)

2020/1972 - Water trough once on Jarvis St, south of King St E, beside St Lawrence Hall now at St James Park
2020/1972 – Water trough once on Jarvis St, south of King St E, now at St James Park (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 2, Item 8)

2019/1975 - CN Tower during construction with Sikorsky Helicopter lifting antenna components
2019/1975 – CN Tower during construction with Sikorsky Helicopter lifting antenna components (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 47, Item 26)

2021/1973 - Construction of the CN Tower which was once the tallest structure in the world
2021/1973 – Construction of the CN Tower, which was once the tallest structure in the world (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 47, Item 3)

2021/1923 - Davenport Rd and Bathurst St, looking west
2021/1923 – Davenport Rd and Bathurst St, looking west (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 16, Series 71, Item 2617)

2021/1942 - Revue Theatre at ‪400 Roncesvalles Ave, south of Howard Park Ave on west side - opened in 1912
2021/1942 – Revue Theatre at ‪400 Roncesvalles Ave, south of Howard Park Ave on the west side – opened in 1912 (Revue Cinema)

2021/1949 - Old Don Jail once at ‪550 Gerrard St E at Broadview Ave - opened in 1864
2021/1949 – Old Don Jail once at ‪550 Gerrard St E at Broadview Ave – opened in 1864 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 1152)

2021/1973 - Old Don Jail once at ‪550 Gerrard St E at Broadview Ave - opened in 1864 and closed in 1977
2021/1973 – Old Don Jail once at ‪550 Gerrard St E at Broadview Ave – opened in 1864 and closed in 1977 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 124, File 3, Item 13)

2021/1973 - Yonge St south of St Mary St on west side
2021/1973 – Yonge St south of St Mary St on the west side (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 2, Item 39)

2020/1972 - St Lawrence Market South at ‪93 Front St‬ E at Jarvis St, southwest corner
2020/1972 – St Lawrence Market South at ‪93 Front St‬ E at Jarvis St, southwest corner (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File2, Item 16)

2021/1929 - King St W, looking northwest towards Ed Mirvish Way (Duncan St) - where Ed's Warehouse, Ed's Folly, Old Ed's and Ed's Seafood once resided
2021/1929 – King St W, looking northwest towards Ed Mirvish Way (Duncan St) – where Ed’s Warehouse, Ed’s Folly, Old Ed’s and Ed’s Seafood once resided (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1488, Series 1230, Item 3501)

2021/1981 - Ed's Warehouse once at 266 King St W and Ed Mirvish Way (Duncan St), northeast corner
2021/1981 – Ed’s Warehouse once at 266 King St W and Ed Mirvish Way (Duncan St), northeast corner (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 67, Item 14)

2021/1982 - Ed's Warehouse once at 266 King St W and Ed Mirvish Way
2021/1982 – Ed’s Warehouse once at 266 King St W and Ed Mirvish Way (Duncan St), northeast corner (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 67, Item 30)

2019/1909 - Scarborough Bluffs or simply The Bluffs, main access is through Bluffer's Park at ‪1 Brimley Rd S
2019/1909 – Scarborough Bluffs or simply The Bluffs, the main access is through Bluffer’s Park at ‪1 Brimley Rd S (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 1537)

2021/1922 - Christie Pits Park once Willowvale Park at Bloor and Christie Sts, looking northwest
2021/1922 – Christie Pits Park once Willowvale Park at Bloor and Christie Sts, looking northwest (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 200, Series 372, Sub Series 52, Item 1026)

2021/1909 – Front St W and York St, northeast corner - where the Fairmont Royal York Hotel stands today
2021/1909 – Front St W and York St, northeast corner – where the Fairmont Royal York Hotel stands today (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 1172)

2020/1920 - Old City Hall Clock Tower at 60 Queen St W
2020/1920 – Old City Hall Clock Tower at 60 Queen St W (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 289)

2021/1954 - Fire Hall once at Queen St W just west of John St on south side
2021/1954 – Fire Hall once at Queen St W just west of John St on the south side (Toronto Public Library r-371)

2020/1972 - Christie Mansion at 100 Wellesley St at Queen's Park Cres E
2020/1972 – Christie Mansion at 100 Wellesley St at Queen’s Park Cres E (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 56, Item 4)

2019/1980 - St Patrick’s Market Square looking south towards Queen St W
2019/1980 – St Patrick’s Market Square looking south towards Queen St W (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 154, Item 22)

1873- 2020 – The Coffin Block once at Front St E, Wellington St E and Church St - now the Gooderham Building
1873- 2020 – The Coffin Block once at Front St E, Wellington St E and Church St – now the Gooderham Building (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 7335)

SOURCE