Past & Present – Part 20

Posted:

1937/2021 – Looking northeast towards the corner of Yonge St and Gerrard St E, in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. Once the Coronet Theatre, originally Biltmore Savoy, occupied the corner
1937/2021 – Looking northeast towards the corner of Yonge St and Gerrard St E, in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. Once the Coronet Theatre, originally Biltmore Savoy, occupied the corner (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 1486)

1981/2021 – The Broadview Hotel at 106 Broadview Ave and Queen St E, in the Riverside neighbourhood. Built in 1891/92 as Dingman’s Hall, the Romanesque Revival style building was converted to The Broadview Hotel in 1907/08. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1975
1981/2021 – The Broadview Hotel at 106 Broadview Ave and Queen St E, in the Riverside neighbourhood. Built in 1891/92 as Dingman’s Hall, the Romanesque Revival style building was converted to The Broadview Hotel in 1907/08. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1975 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, Series 841, File 75, Item 72)

1955/March 29, 2020 - Looking southwest toward the tower that was once part of the former Yonge Street Fire Hall No. 3, later part of St Charles Tavern. It’s located on Yonge St, north of College St, between Grenville St and Grosvenor St, in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. Built in the 1870s, the tower is being restored and is part of Halo Residences on the Yonge Condo development
1955/March 29, 2020 – Looking southwest toward the tower that was once part of the former Yonge Street Fire Hall No. 3, later part of St Charles Tavern. It’s located on Yonge St, north of College St, between Grenville St and Grosvenor St, in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. Built in the 1870s, the tower is being restored and is part of Halo Residences on the Yonge Condo development (Toronto Public Library R-3759)

2020/1922 - Colborne Lodge was the home of John and Jemima Howard, located in the south end of High Park, just north of The Queensway in the High Park-Swansea neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1837 by John Howard, the home is a classic example of a Regency-style cottage. The historic lodge is a City-operated museum
2020/1922 – Colborne Lodge was the home of John and Jemima Howard, located in the south end of High Park, just north of The Queensway in the High Park-Swansea neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1837 by John Howard, the home is a classic example of a Regency-style cottage. The historic lodge is a City-operated museum (Toronto Public Library R-1695)

1972/2022 - Looking southwest from the corner of Soho St and Bulwer St towards Queen St W in the Entertainment District of Toronto. Did you know Queen St was once called Lot St and in 1837 the street was renamed in honour of Queen Victoria
1972/2022 – Looking southwest from the corner of Soho St and Bulwer St towards Queen St W in the Entertainment District of Toronto. Did you know Queen St was once called Lot St and in 1837 the street was renamed in honour of Queen Victoria (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 48, Item 23)

1960/2022 - University Theatre was once located at 100 Bloor St W, west of Bay St on the north side in the Yorkville neighbourhood of Toronto. The archive photo shows Ben-Hur starring Charlton Heston, Jack Hawkins, and Stephen Boyd playing at the theatre. Also, notice Holt Renfrew and the Park Plaza Hotel in the distance
1960/2022 – University Theatre was once located at 100 Bloor St W, west of Bay St on the north side in the Yorkville neighbourhood of Toronto. The archive photo shows Ben-Hur starring Charlton Heston, Jack Hawkins, and Stephen Boyd playing at the theatre. Also, notice Holt Renfrew and the Park Plaza Hotel in the distance (City of Toronto Archives, Series 648, File 70, ID 11)

1972/2021 – Looking southeast towards the corner of Queen St E and Berkeley St, in Toronto’s St Lawrence/Moss Park neighbourhoods. Built in 1880/84, 319 Queen St E was designed as a warehouse/factory building. The structure received heritage status from the city in 2019
1972/2021 – Looking southeast towards the corner of Queen St E and Berkeley St, in Toronto’s St Lawrence/Moss Park neighbourhoods. Built in 1880/84, 319 Queen St E was designed as a warehouse/factory building. The structure received heritage status from the city in 2019 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 21, Item 33)

1911/2023 – Metropolitan United Church Parsonage and Community Building at the southeast corner of Bond St and Shuter St in downtown Toronto's Garden District. Built in 1906/07, architects Sproatt & Rolph designed the building in the Neo-Gothic style. The Parsonage was built and furnished through a donation from Chester Massey, whose father built Massey Hall. The building received heritage status from the city in 1983
1911/2023 – Metropolitan United Church Parsonage and Community Building at the southeast corner of Bond St and Shuter St in downtown Toronto’s Garden District. Built in 1906/07, architects Sproatt & Rolph designed the building in the Neo-Gothic style. The Parsonage was built and furnished through a donation from Chester Massey, whose father built Massey Hall. The building received heritage status from the city in 1983 (Toronto Public Library PC3945)

1906/2023 – Looking southeast towards the corner of Bond St and Shuter St, in the Garden District of Toronto. Notice the Metropolitan United Church in the background; however, in the archive photo, the church's Parsonage had not yet been built
1906/2023 – Looking southeast towards the corner of Bond St and Shuter St, in the Garden District of Toronto. Notice the Metropolitan United Church in the background; however, in the archive photo, the church’s Parsonage had not yet been built (Toronto Public Library PC200)

2022/1972 – Looking west towards the intersection of Parliament St and Gerrard St E in the Cabbagetown neighbourhood of Toronto
2022/1972 – Looking west towards the intersection of Parliament St and Gerrard St E in the Cabbagetown neighbourhood of Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 32, Item 1)

1972/2020 – Looking northeast towards the Christie Mansion located at 100 Wellesley St and Queens Park Crescent E in the Bay-Cloverhill area of Toronto. Built in 1881, architects Gordon & Helliwell designed the late Victorian-style home. The building received heritage status from the city in 1976
1972/2020 – Looking northeast towards the Christie Mansion located at 100 Wellesley St and Queens Park Crescent E in the Bay-Cloverhill area of Toronto. Built in 1881, architects Gordon & Helliwell designed the late Victorian-style home. The building received heritage status from the city in 1976 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 56, Item 4)

1964/2021 – Looking northeast towards the demolition of the Registry of Deeds and Land Titles building and the construction of Toronto City Hall at 100 Queen St W. The Registry of Deeds and Land Titles was built in 1915 and designed by architect Charles S Cobb. Demolished in 1964, the building was located just southwest of today’s Toronto
1964/2021 – Looking northeast towards the demolition of the Registry of Deeds and Land Titles building and the construction of Toronto City Hall at 100 Queen St W. The Registry of Deeds and Land Titles was built in 1915 and designed by architect Charles S Cobb. Demolished in 1964, the building was located just southwest of today’s Toronto City Hall’s West Tower (Canadian Architectural Archives, Panda Associates Fonds, PAN 61881-207)

1950/2020 – Looking northeast from Front St W towards Yonge St, the Bank of Montreal, today’s Hockey Hall of Fame and the archive photo shows the former Board of Trade Building in downtown Toronto. As a part of the area’s redevelopment, the spectacular jewel was demolished in 1958
1950/2020 – Looking northeast from Front St W towards Yonge St, the Bank of Montreal, today’s Hockey Hall of Fame and the archive photo shows the former Board of Trade Building in downtown Toronto. As a part of the area’s redevelopment, the spectacular jewel was demolished in 1958 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1128, Series 380, Item 183)

1976-87/2022 – The cornice and tympanum once over the entrance of the Cattle Pavilion/Industry Building at Exhibition Place are now a bench inside Heritage Court in the Coliseum Complex
1976-87/2022 – The cornice and tympanum once over the entrance of the Cattle Pavilion/Industry Building at Exhibition Place are now a bench inside Heritage Court in the Coliseum Complex (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds, Series 1465, File 365, Item 9)

2022/1976-87 – The entrance to Exhibit Halls C and D at the Enercare Centre at Exhibition Place. This stone entrance was once on the southern portion of the Cattle Pavilion/Industry Building in the Coliseum Complex. It was removed and reinstalled at this location during the construction of the National Trade Centre, today’s Enercare Centre
2022/1976-87 – The entrance to Exhibit Halls C and D at the Enercare Centre at Exhibition Place. This stone entrance was once on the southern portion of the Cattle Pavilion/Industry Building in the Coliseum Complex. It was removed and reinstalled at this location during the construction of the National Trade Centre, today’s Enercare Centre (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds, Series 1465, File 365, Item 9)

1959/2022 – Hare Krishna Temple, formerly The Avenue Road Church, is located at 243 Avenue Rd and Roxborough St W in the Annex neighbourhood of Toronto. Built-in 1897/99, architects Gordon & Helliwell designed the church in the Gothic Romanesque Revival style. The building received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1974 and Ontario Heritage Trust in 1977
1959/2022 – Hare Krishna Temple, formerly The Avenue Road Church, is located at 243 Avenue Rd and Roxborough St W in the Annex neighbourhood of Toronto. Built-in 1897/99, architects Gordon & Helliwell designed the church in the Gothic Romanesque Revival style. The building received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1974 and Ontario Heritage Trust in 1977 (Toronto Public Library R-1898)

1982/2022 – Looking north from Palmerston Blvd just south of Bloor St W towards the pillar that is part of the Palmerston Gates. The historic gates in Toronto’s Koreatown were listed as heritage structures by the city in 1973. Palmerston was named after Lord Palmerston, who was once Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
1982/2022 – Looking north from Palmerston Blvd just south of Bloor St W towards the pillar that is part of the Palmerston Gates. The historic gates in Toronto’s Koreatown were listed as heritage structures by the city in 1973. Palmerston was named after Lord Palmerston, who was once Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (Toronto Public Library LOCHIST-PM-020)

1980-98/2021 – Looking southeast towards the corner of Bloor St W and Palmerston Blvd in Toronto’s Koreatown. The city listed the historic Palmerston Gates as a heritage structure in 1973. Palmerston Blvd was named after Lord Palmerston, who was once Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
1980-98/2021 – Looking southeast towards the corner of Bloor St W and Palmerston Blvd in Toronto’s Koreatown. The city listed the historic Palmerston Gates as a heritage structure in 1973. Palmerston Blvd was named after Lord Palmerston, who was once Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 200, Series 1465, File 281, Item 8)

1940s/2022 – Opening in the mid-1920s, Major Theatre was once located at 1780 St Clair Ave W and Cloverdale Rd in the Earlscourt neighbourhood. On the marquee, "The Man from Down Under," starring Charles Laughton, Binnie Barnes and Richard Carlson and "Always a Bridesmaid," starring The Andrews Sisters, Patty and Maxene, were playing and both released in 1943. Today the building is home to Faith Impact Ministry Inc
1940s/2022 – Opening in the mid-1920s, Major Theatre was once located at 1780 St Clair Ave W and Cloverdale Rd in the Earlscourt neighbourhood. On the marquee, “The Man from Down Under,” starring Charles Laughton, Binnie Barnes and Richard Carlson and “Always a Bridesmaid,” starring The Andrews Sisters, Patty and Maxene, were playing and both released in 1943. Today the building is home to Faith Impact Ministry Inc (City of Toronto Archives, Ken Webster Fonds 251, Series 1278, File 8)

Date unknown/2022 – The Church of God of Prophecy was once located on the northwest corner of St Clair Ave W and Cloverdale Rd in Toronto's Earlscourt neighbourhood. Today the building is home to Faith Impact Ministry Inc
Date unknown/2022 – The Church of God of Prophecy was once located on the northwest corner of St Clair Ave W and Cloverdale Rd in Toronto’s Earlscourt neighbourhood. Today the building is home to Faith Impact Ministry Inc (City of Toronto Archives, Ken Webster Fonds 251, Series 1278, File 106)

2022/1956 – Looking northwest towards what was originally the College Street Baptist Church at 506 College St and Palmerston Blvd in the Little Italy neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1888, architects Langley & Burke designed the church in the Romanesque Revival style. In 1970, the local landmark became the Portuguese Seventh Day Adventist Church. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973. In 2007, the church building was sold and later converted into townhomes
2022/1956 – Looking northwest towards what was originally the College Street Baptist Church at 506 College St and Palmerston Blvd in the Little Italy neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1888, architects Langley & Burke designed the church in the Romanesque Revival style. In 1970, the local landmark became the Portuguese Seventh Day Adventist Church. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973. In 2007, the church building was sold and later converted into townhomes (Toronto Public Library S1-3642A )

1957/2021 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Roncesvalles Ave and The Queensway in the Sunnyside neighbourhood of Toronto. The archive photo shows the Edgewater Hotel, Sunnyside Bus Terminal and the B & G Coffee Shop Milk Bar. Today the corner is home to Howard Johnson Inn and McDonald's
1957/2021 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Roncesvalles Ave and The Queensway in the Sunnyside neighbourhood of Toronto. The archive photo shows the Edgewater Hotel, Sunnyside Bus Terminal and the B & G Coffee Shop Milk Bar. Today the corner is home to Howard Johnson Inn and McDonald’s (Toronto Public Library R-5626)

1982/2022 – Looking north towards the intersection of College St and Palmerston Blvd, in the Little Italy neighbourhood of Toronto. Notice the Palmerston gates on the corners. The historic gates were listed as heritage structures by the city in 1973. Palmerston was named after Lord Palmerston, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. The street was once known as Muter St
1982/2022 – Looking north towards the intersection of College St and Palmerston Blvd, in the Little Italy neighbourhood of Toronto. Notice the Palmerston gates on the corners. The historic gates were listed as heritage structures by the city in 1973. Palmerston was named after Lord Palmerston, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. The street was once known as Muter St (Toronto Public Library LOCHIST-PM-015 )

1957/2022 – The Epiphany & St Mark Anglican Church, originally St Mark's Church, is located at 201 Cowan Ave, south of Queen St W in Toronto's Little Tibet/Parkdale neighbourhood. Built in 1880/81, the church was designed in the Gothic Revival style. In 1984, the Church of the Epiphany once at 1515 Queen St W joined St Mark's congregation and formed the present-day church
1957/2022 – The Epiphany & St Mark Anglican Church, originally St Mark’s Church, is located at 201 Cowan Ave, south of Queen St W in Toronto’s Little Tibet/Parkdale neighbourhood. Built in 1880/81, the church was designed in the Gothic Revival style. In 1984, the Church of the Epiphany once at 1515 Queen St W joined St Mark’s congregation and formed the present-day church (Toronto Public Library R-5595)

1988-90/2022 – Looking southeast towards Cherry St and Front St E. Constructed in phases, the 1859-built portion of 425/441 Cherry St was originally the Palace Street School. In later additions, the structure was also home to various hotels, manufacturing and storage companies before becoming the iconic Canary Restaurant from 1965 until 2007. Today, the heritage building is part of the upcoming mixed-use development to be known as the Canary House
1988-90/2022 – Looking southeast towards Cherry St and Front St E. Constructed in phases, the 1859-built portion of 425/441 Cherry St was originally the Palace Street School. In later additions, the structure was also home to various hotels, manufacturing and storage companies before becoming the iconic Canary Restaurant from 1965 until 2007. Today, the heritage building is part of the upcoming mixed-use development to be known as the Canary House (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 666 Item 9)

SOURCE

Stay Connected

22,156FollowersFollow
94FollowersFollow
8,950FollowersFollow
error: Alert: Content selection is disabled