Past & Present – Part 2

Posted:

2021/1980’s - CAA Theatre (formerly the Panasonic Theatre) at 651 Yonge St, east side south of Charles St - once Showcase Cinema
2021/1980’s – CAA Theatre (formerly the Panasonic Theatre) at 651 Yonge St, east side south of Charles St – once Showcase Cinema (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 610, Item 12)

2021/1945 - Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema at 506 Bloor St W, north side east of Bathurst St - once Midtown Theatre
2021/1945 – Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema at 506 Bloor St W, north side east of Bathurst St – once Midtown Theatre (Archives of Ontario, I0012578)

2021/1919 - Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema at 506 Bloor St W, north side east of Bathurst St - where Madison Theatre once stood
2021/1919 – Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema at 506 Bloor St W, north side east of Bathurst St – where Madison Theatre once stood (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 800)

2020/1972 – Looking southeast towards the corner of Queen St W and Spadina Ave in Toronto's Fashion District. The beehive turret atop the 441 Queen St W building is a distinctive feature of the structure constructed in 1886 as an Oddfellows' Hall. The building was designed by Langley & Burke, and in 1983, it received heritage status from the city
2020/1972 – Looking southeast towards the corner of Queen St W and Spadina Ave in Toronto’s Fashion District. The beehive turret atop the 441 Queen St W building is a distinctive feature of the structure constructed in 1886 as an Oddfellows’ Hall. The building was designed by Langley & Burke, and in 1983, it received heritage status from the city (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 47, Item 33)

May 23, 2021/1950s – Maple Leaf Gardens is located at the northwest corner of Carlton St and Church St in the Church and Wellesley neighbourhood of Toronto. 
Maple Leaf Gardens is a notable landmark in the city with a history dating back to 1931. The venue was constructed by the owner of the Toronto Maple Leafs, Conn Smythe, and could accommodate over 12,000 spectators. The Leafs played at the Gardens for almost seven decades, and their last game in the building was in 1999. 
In addition to hosting ice hockey games, the Gardens was also the site of other sporting events such as basketball and ice skating. It was also a venue for various live music shows, circus performances and political events.
Maple Leaf Gardens received heritage designation from the city in 1974, from the province in 1990, and became a National Historic Site of Canada in 2007. Today, Loblaws occupies the main level of the building, while the upper level houses the Mattamy Athletic Centre of Toronto Metropolitan University (Toronto Public Library R-3834)
May 23, 2021/1950s – Maple Leaf Gardens is located at the northwest corner of Carlton St and Church St in the Church and Wellesley neighbourhood of Toronto.

Maple Leaf Gardens is a notable landmark in the city with a history dating back to 1931. The venue was constructed by the owner of the Toronto Maple Leafs, Conn Smythe, and could accommodate over 12,000 spectators. The Leafs played at the Gardens for almost seven decades, and their last game in the building was in 1999.

In addition to hosting ice hockey games, the Gardens was also the site of other sporting events such as basketball and ice skating. It was also a venue for various live music shows, circus performances and political events.

Maple Leaf Gardens received heritage designation from the city in 1974, from the province in 1990, and became a National Historic Site of Canada in 2007. Today, Loblaws occupies the main level of the building, while the upper level houses the Mattamy Athletic Centre of Toronto Metropolitan University (Toronto Public Library R-3834)

April 4, 2021/March 12, 1950 - Looking northwest towards the corner of Yonge St and Dundas St, in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto
April 4, 2021/March 12, 1950 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Yonge St and Dundas St, in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Series 574, File 13, ID 49321 – Brigdens Limited photography)

2019/1937 - Looking south toward Dufferin Gate near the foot of Dufferin St at Exhibition Place. The archive photo shows the second Dufferin Gate. Built in 1912, the second gate was designed by architect George W Gouinlock. Today’s parabolic archway replaced it in the late 1950s to make way for the Gardiner Expressway
2019/1937 – Looking south toward Dufferin Gate near the foot of Dufferin St at Exhibition Place. The archive photo shows the second Dufferin Gate. Built in 1912, the second gate was designed by architect George W Gouinlock. Today’s parabolic archway replaced it in the late 1950s to make way for the Gardiner Expressway (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 1446)

2020/1960 - Looking north toward Dufferin Gate near the foot of Dufferin St at Exhibition Place. Architect Arthur G Keith designed the parabolic steel and concrete archway, which was completed for the opening of the 1959 Canadian National Exhibition
2020/1960 – Looking north toward Dufferin Gate near the foot of Dufferin St at Exhibition Place. Architect Arthur G Keith designed the parabolic steel and concrete archway, which was completed for the opening of the 1959 Canadian National Exhibition (CNE Archives)

2020/1900s - Looking north toward Dufferin Gate near the foot of Dufferin St at Exhibition Place. The archive photo shows the first Dufferin Gate, built in 1895. Today’s parabolic archway is the third Dufferin Gate. It was designed by architect Arthur G Keith and was completed for the opening of the 1959 Canadian National Exhibition
2020/1900s – Looking north toward Dufferin Gate near the foot of Dufferin St at Exhibition Place. The archive photo shows the first Dufferin Gate, built in 1895. Today’s parabolic archway is the third Dufferin Gate. It was designed by architect Arthur G Keith and was completed for the opening of the 1959 Canadian National Exhibition (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1266, Item 14660)

1980’s/2021 - Cumberland Four once at 159 Cumberland St, south side east of Avenue Rd - the site is now home to Nespresso
1980’s/2021 – Cumberland Four once at 159 Cumberland St, south side east of Avenue Rd – the site is now home to Nespresso (Mandel Sprachman Architect Fonds, photo of photo taken at City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 122, Series 881, File 353)

2021/1978-80 - Coronet Theatre originally named The Savoy once at 399 Yonge St at Gerrard St E, northeast corner - now Barclay Jewelry
2021/1978-80 – Coronet Theatre originally named The Savoy once at 399 Yonge St at Gerrard St E, northeast corner – now Barclay Jewelry (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 310, Item 3)

2021/1981 - University Theatre once at 100 Bloor St W, north side west of Bay
2021/1981 – University Theatre once at 100 Bloor St W, north side west of Bay (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 515, Item 10)

2020/1989 - Runnymede Theatre once at 2223 Bloor St W, south side west of Runnymede Rd - now Shoppers Drug Mart
2020/1989 – Runnymede Theatre once at 2223 Bloor St W, south side west of Runnymede Rd – now Shoppers Drug Mart (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 169, Item 106)

2020/1942 - Runnymede Theatre once at 2223 Bloor St W, south side west of Runnymede Rd - now Shoppers Drug Mart
2020/1942 – Runnymede Theatre once at 2223 Bloor St W, south side west of Runnymede Rd – now Shoppers Drug Mart (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 251, Series 1278, File 147)

2021/1958 - Looking northeast towards the corner of Bloor St W and Royal York Rd. The archive photo shows The Toronto Dominion Bank and S. S. Kresge Co. once occupied the buildings
2021/1958 – Looking northeast towards the corner of Bloor St W and Royal York Rd. The archive photo shows The Toronto Dominion Bank and S. S. Kresge Co. once occupied the buildings (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 7965)

2021/1972 - Victoria and Lombard Sts, northeast corner
2021/1972 – Victoria and Lombard Sts, northeast corner (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File17, Item 26)

2021/1890 - Victoria and Lombard Sts, northeast corner
2021/1890 – Victoria and Lombard Sts, northeast corner (Toronto Public Library r-4620)

2020/1960 - Princess Margaret Fountain at Exhibition Place - built in 1958
2020/1960 – Princess Margaret Fountain at Exhibition Place – built in 1958 (CNE Archives)

1921/1971 - Fun and fashion at the EX
1921/1971 – Fun and fashion at the EX (CNE Archives)

1954/2021 - The Food Building is located at 10 Nova Scotia Ave at Exhibition Place in Toronto. Completed in 1954, the mid-century Modern style building was designed by architect Richard Fisher
1954/2021 – The Food Building is located at 10 Nova Scotia Ave at Exhibition Place in Toronto. Completed in 1954, the mid-century Modern style building was designed by architect Richard Fisher (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 5680)

SOURCE

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

24,817FollowersFollow
103FollowersFollow
8,850FollowersFollow