Past & Present – Part 19

1972/2022 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Spadina Ave and Harbord St, in the Harbord Village neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1890, the Harry Armstrong and Dr Gilbert Gordon houses at 644-646 Spadina Ave were designed in Queen Anne style. The buildings received heritage status from the city in 2006. Notice the Knox Presbyterian Church tower in the background
1972/2022 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Spadina Ave and Harbord St, in the Harbord Village neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1890, the Harry Armstrong and Dr Gilbert Gordon houses at 644-646 Spadina Ave were designed in Queen Anne style. The buildings received heritage status from the city in 2006. Notice the Knox Presbyterian Church tower in the background (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 55, Item 20)

Circa 1947/2022 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Parliament St and Gerrard St E in the Cabbagetown South neighbourhood of Toronto
Circa 1947/2022 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Parliament St and Gerrard St E in the Cabbagetown South neighbourhood of Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Series 372, Sub Series 3, Item 1415)

1956/2021 – Looking north from Queen St E towards the Metropolitan United Church at 56 Queen St E, between Bond St and Church St in the Garden District of Toronto. Built in 1870/72, architects Langley & Langley designed the church in the High Victorian Gothic style. Due to a fire, the church was rebuilt in 1928/29 with designs by John Gobb Morton, adding Neo-Gothic architecture. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973. The archive photo shows the steeple in the background, which belongs to St Michael's Cathedral Basilica
1956/2021 – Looking north from Queen St E towards the Metropolitan United Church at 56 Queen St E, between Bond St and Church St in the Garden District of Toronto. Built in 1870/72, architects Langley & Langley designed the church in the High Victorian Gothic style. Due to a fire, the church was rebuilt in 1928/29 with designs by John Gobb Morton, adding Neo-Gothic architecture. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973. The archive photo shows the steeple in the background, which belongs to St Michael’s Cathedral Basilica (Toronto Public Library R-5387)

1950/2021 – Looking north from Queen St E towards the main entrance of the Metropolitan United Church at 56 Queen St E, between Bond St and Church St in the Garden District of Toronto. Built in 1870/72, architects Henry Langley and his brother Edward designed the church in the High Victorian Gothic style. The structure is clad in buff brick with cut-stone dressings. Its tower stands 60 m or 190 ft tall and has been elaborately decorated with angel sculptures, traceried windows and octagonal turrets. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973
1950/2021 – Looking north from Queen St E towards the main entrance of the Metropolitan United Church at 56 Queen St E, between Bond St and Church St in the Garden District of Toronto. Built in 1870/72, architects Henry Langley and his brother Edward designed the church in the High Victorian Gothic style. The structure is clad in buff brick with cut-stone dressings. Its tower stands 60 m or 190 ft tall and has been elaborately decorated with angel sculptures, traceried windows and octagonal turrets. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1128, Series 380, Item 120)

2023/1955 – Looking southeast on Bay St from Queen St W in the Financial District of Toronto. The archive photo shows the Christie/Dupont streetcar once travelled along Bay St. Notice TD/Toronto Dominion Bank on the right in both photo
2023/1955 – Looking southeast on Bay St from Queen St W in the Financial District of Toronto. The archive photo shows the Christie/Dupont streetcar once travelled along Bay St. Notice TD/Toronto Dominion Bank on the right in both photos (Toronto Public Library R-6514)

1900-20/2020 – Looking southeast towards St Andrew's Presbyterian Church, today's Grace Toronto Church at 383 Jarvis St and Carlton St. Built in 1878, architects Langley, Langley & Burke designed the church in the Gothic Revival style. After St Andrews Presbyterian Church, it became St Andrew's United Church and, in 1951, St Andrew's Lutheran Church. In 2015, the church was sold and became home to Grace Toronto Church
1900-20/2020 – Looking southeast towards St Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, today’s Grace Toronto Church at 383 Jarvis St and Carlton St. Built in 1878, architects Langley, Langley & Burke designed the church in the Gothic Revival style. After St Andrews Presbyterian Church, it became St Andrew’s United Church and, in 1951, St Andrew’s Lutheran Church. In 2015, the church was sold and became home to Grace Toronto Church (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1568, Item 463)

1910/2022 - The Danforth Mennonite Church, originally known as Mennonite Gospel Mission, is located at 2174 Danforth Ave, east of Woodbine Ave on the north side in the East Danforth neighbourhood of Toronto. The small-frame structure was built in 1910 when the area was mainly farmland. The church received heritage status from the city in 2020
1910/2022 – The Danforth Mennonite Church, originally known as Mennonite Gospel Mission, is located at 2174 Danforth Ave, east of Woodbine Ave on the north side in the East Danforth neighbourhood of Toronto. The small-frame structure was built in 1910 when the area was mainly farmland. The church received heritage status from the city in 2020 (Mennonite Archives of Ontario CA MAO 1990-12 124)

1972/2022 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Church St and McGill St, in the Garden District neighbourhood of Toronto. Notice the Maple Leaf Gardens building, once home to the Toronto Maple Leafs, in the background on the far right
1972/2022 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Church St and McGill St, in the Garden District neighbourhood of Toronto. Notice the Maple Leaf Gardens building, once home to the Toronto Maple Leafs, in the background on the far right (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 51, Item 23)

1934/2022 – Looking northwest along College St from east of Bathurst St in the Palmerston-Little Italy neighbourhood of Toronto. Notice College Street United Church and The Channel Club condo building on the right and in the distance, the former College Street Baptist Church at Palmerston Blvd
1934/2022 – Looking northwest along College St from east of Bathurst St in the Palmerston-Little Italy neighbourhood of Toronto. Notice College Street United Church and The Channel Club condo building on the right and in the distance, the former College Street Baptist Church at Palmerston Blvd (City of Toronto Archives, Series 372, Sub Series 70, Item 445)

1988-90/2021 – The dining area at the Canary Restaurant, once located at Cherry St and Front St E. From 1965 until 2007, the ground-floor corner of the building was home to the iconic restaurant
1988-90/2021 – The dining area at the Canary Restaurant, once located at Cherry St and Front St E. From 1965 until 2007, the ground-floor corner of the building was home to the iconic restaurant (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 666 Item 1)

1988-91/2022 – The Canary Restaurant occupied the ground floor corner of 425/441 Cherry St and Front St E for over four decades, from 1965 until 2007. The heritage building will be incorporated into the mixed-use development to be known as the Canary House
1988-91/2022 – The Canary Restaurant occupied the ground floor corner of 425/441 Cherry St and Front St E for over four decades, from 1965 until 2007. The heritage building will be incorporated into the mixed-use development to be known as the Canary House (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 654, Item 11)

1954/2021– The Tippit-Richardson Moving and Storage once occupied the former Palace Street School and Cherry Street Hotel located at 425/441 Cherry St and Front St E in the West Don Lands neighbourhood of Toronto. The ground floor corner of the building was once home to the Canary Restaurant from 1965 until 2007. The building received heritage status from the city in 1976. Notice in the archive photo that the Regent Gas Station was across the street on the southwest corner
1954/2021– The Tippit-Richardson Moving and Storage once occupied the former Palace Street School and Cherry Street Hotel located at 425/441 Cherry St and Front St E in the West Don Lands neighbourhood of Toronto. The ground floor corner of the building was once home to the Canary Restaurant from 1965 until 2007. The building received heritage status from the city in 1976. Notice in the archive photo that the Regent Gas Station was across the street on the southwest corner (Toronto Public Library R-2793)

1913/2022 - Looking south from Albert St and Terauley St (present-day Bay St) towards Queen St W. Bay St north of Queen St W was once known as Terauley St, named after Dr Macaulay’s residence, the Teraulay Cottage. Notice Old City Hall in both photos on the left
1913/2022 – Looking south from Albert St and Terauley St (present-day Bay St) towards Queen St W. Bay St north of Queen St W was once known as Terauley St, named after Dr Macaulay’s residence, the Teraulay Cottage. Notice Old City Hall in both photos on the left (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 2199)

2021/1972 – Looking east towards the corner of Sherbourne St and Howard St in the St James Town neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1902, the three-storey building at 601 Sherbourne St was constructed by Thomas Cruttenden, a Toronto builder and contractor. The ground-floor storefront was once home to the Howard Coffee Shop and today is occupied by Eggsmart. The Edwardian Classical structure received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 2011
2021/1972 – Looking east towards the corner of Sherbourne St and Howard St in the St James Town neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1902, the three-storey building at 601 Sherbourne St was constructed by Thomas Cruttenden, a Toronto builder and contractor. The ground-floor storefront was once home to the Howard Coffee Shop and today is occupied by Eggsmart. The Edwardian Classical structure received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 2011 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 7, Item 3)

2022/1980-90s – Looking northeast towards the corner of Dufferin St and Liberty St, in the Liberty Village neighbourhood of Toronto. The building at the corner was once Barrymore Cloth Co Ltd and, before that, the Russell Motor Car factory. Today, behind the façade is a parking lot
2022/1980-90s – Looking northeast towards the corner of Dufferin St and Liberty St, in the Liberty Village neighbourhood of Toronto. The building at the corner was once Barrymore Cloth Co Ltd and, before that, the Russell Motor Car factory. Today, behind the façade is a parking lot (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 37, Item 37)

1966/2021 – Looking southeast towards the Jack & Jill Restaurant, once on the corner of Hayter St and Laplante Ave in the neighbourhood once known as Gerrard Village. The McMurtry-Scott Building, with an address of 720 Bay St, occupies the corner
1966/2021 – Looking southeast towards the Jack & Jill Restaurant, once on the corner of Hayter St and Laplante Ave in the neighbourhood once known as Gerrard Village. The McMurtry-Scott Building, with an address of 720 Bay St, occupies the corner (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 124, File 1, ID 114)

1972/2023 - Looking northeast from Bay St and Queen St W towards the Old City Hall and Cenotaph in downtown Toronto. Notice Eaton’s store and the present-day CF Toronto Eaton Centre in the background
1972/2023 – Looking northeast from Bay St and Queen St W towards the Old City Hall and Cenotaph in downtown Toronto. Notice Eaton’s store and the present-day CF Toronto Eaton Centre in the background (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 61, Item 2)

1940-50s/2022 – Looking southeast towards Bay St and Albert St in downtown Toronto. In the archive photo, Eaton’s Annex is on the left, the Dominion Building is in the centre, and Old City Hall is on the right
1940-50s/2022 – Looking southeast towards Bay St and Albert St in downtown Toronto. In the archive photo, Eaton’s Annex is on the left, the Dominion Building is in the centre, and Old City Hall is on the right (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 767)

2022/1913 – Looking south down Church St from Front St E, in the St. Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto. Notice the ships docked at the foot of Church St in the archive photo
2022/1913 – Looking south down Church St from Front St E, in the St. Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto. Notice the ships docked at the foot of Church St in the archive photo (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 2186)

1972/2022 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Front St E and Market St, in the St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto. 87 Front St E was built for the Edward Leadlay Company (Mr Leadlay was a wool merchant). The Toronto City Directory has the company first listed at the address in the 1870 publication. Today, it’s home to an LCBO store.

85 Front St E is Thomas Clarkson/John Hallam Building, and today it’s home to A&W. The buildings received heritage status from the city in 1973 and are part of the St Lawrence Neighbourhood Heritage Conservation District
1972/2022 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Front St E and Market St, in the St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto. 87 Front St E was built for the Edward Leadlay Company (Mr Leadlay was a wool merchant). The Toronto City Directory has the company first listed at the address in the 1870 publication. Today, it’s home to an LCBO store.

85 Front St E is Thomas Clarkson/John Hallam Building, and today it’s home to A&W. The buildings received heritage status from the city in 1973 and are part of the St Lawrence Neighbourhood Heritage Conservation District (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 40, Item 14)

1970/2022 – Looking southwest from Front St E towards the corner of Market St and Front St E, in the St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto
1970/2022 – Looking southwest from Front St E towards the corner of Market St and Front St E, in the St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 124, File 2, ID 85)

2022/1977 - Looking northeast towards the commercial block at 326-342 Queen St E, just west of Parliament St in the Moss Park neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1884/1889, the block received heritage status from the city in 2020
2022/1977 – Looking northeast towards the commercial block at 326-342 Queen St E, just west of Parliament St in the Moss Park neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1884/1889, the block received heritage status from the city in 2020 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 69, Item 2)

Circa 1945/2022 – Looking southwest towards the former Ulster Arms Hotel, located at 1345 Gerrard St E, just west of Highfield Rd on the south side, in the Leslieville neighbourhood of Toronto. Behind the hotel was once the Ulster Stadium which was home to “the Red Handers,” formally known as “the Ulster United Football Club.” Visit Leslieville History for interesting history about the area
Circa 1945/2022 – Looking southwest towards the former Ulster Arms Hotel, located at 1345 Gerrard St E, just west of Highfield Rd on the south side, in the Leslieville neighbourhood of Toronto. Behind the hotel was once the Ulster Stadium which was home to “the Red Handers,” formally known as “the Ulster United Football Club.” Visit Leslieville History for interesting history about the area (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 540)

1953/2022 – Toronto Fire Station 311, also known as Balmoral Fire Hall, is located at 24 Balmoral Ave, just west of Yonge St, in the Yonge-St Clair neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1911, city architect Robert McCallum designed the building in the Queen Anne Revival style. Balmoral Fire Hall is a National Historic Site of Canada
1953/2022 – Toronto Fire Station 311, also known as Balmoral Fire Hall, is located at 24 Balmoral Ave, just west of Yonge St, in the Yonge-St Clair neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1911, city architect Robert McCallum designed the building in the Queen Anne Revival style. Balmoral Fire Hall is a National Historic Site of Canada (Toronto Public Library R-3859)

1971/2022 – Looking southwest towards 526-528 Yonge St at Breadalbane St, in the Bay-Cloverhill neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1880, architects McCaw & Lennox designed the structure in the Second Empire style. The building received heritage status from the city in 1974 and is part of the Historic Yonge Street Heritage Conservation District
1971/2022 – Looking southwest towards 526-528 Yonge St at Breadalbane St, in the Bay-Cloverhill neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1880, architects McCaw & Lennox designed the structure in the Second Empire style. The building received heritage status from the city in 1974 and is part of the Historic Yonge Street Heritage Conservation District (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 2, Item 69)

1972/2022 – The original Winchester Public School building is located in the Cabbagetown/St James Town neighbourhoods of Toronto. Built in 1897/98, architect Charles Hartnoll Bishop designed the building in the Italianate style. Notable former students of Winchester School include Walter Thomas Huston, a Canadian actor, and Arthur Leonard Schawlow, a Nobel Prize winner in Physics
1972/2022 – The original Winchester Public School building is located in the Cabbagetown/St James Town neighbourhoods of Toronto. Built in 1897/98, architect Charles Hartnoll Bishop designed the building in the Italianate style. Notable former students of Winchester School include Walter Thomas Huston, a Canadian actor, and Arthur Leonard Schawlow, a Nobel Prize winner in Physics (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 12, Item 9)

1972/2022 – Looking southwest towards 161 Winchester St at Sumach St, in the Cabbagetown North neighbourhood of Toronto. The detached house received heritage status from the city in 2004 and is part of the Cabbagetown North Heritage Conservation District. Park Snacks currently occupies the storefront at 161 Winchester St
1972/2022 – Looking southwest towards 161 Winchester St at Sumach St, in the Cabbagetown North neighbourhood of Toronto. The detached house received heritage status from the city in 2004 and is part of the Cabbagetown North Heritage Conservation District. Park Snacks currently occupies the storefront at 161 Winchester St (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 29, Item 29)

1972/2022 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Jarvis St and Gerrard St E in the Garden District of Toronto. The corner has been home to Harvey’s for over half a century
1972/2022 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Jarvis St and Gerrard St E in the Garden District of Toronto. The corner has been home to Harvey’s for over half a century (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 847, File 9, Item 1)

1972/2022 – Looking northwest towards the corner of McCaul St and Grange Rd, in the Kensington-Chinatown neighbourhood of Toronto. Since 1998, Above Ground Art Supplies has occupied the building at 74 McCaul St
1972/2022 – Looking northwest towards the corner of McCaul St and Grange Rd, in the Kensington-Chinatown neighbourhood of Toronto. Since 1998, Above Ground Art Supplies has occupied the building at 74 McCaul St (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 43, Item 28)

1976/2021 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Lake Shore Blvd W and Windermere Ave, in the Swansea neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1937, the Joy Oil Gas Station once occupied the corner. Today the restored gas station has been relocated to 1880 Lake Shore Blvd W in Sir Casimir Gzowski Park. It’s the sole survivor of the 14 Joy Oil Co gas stations that once served Toronto. The Chateau-style structure received heritage status from the Ontario Heritage Trust in 1989
1976/2021 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Lake Shore Blvd W and Windermere Ave, in the Swansea neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1937, the Joy Oil Gas Station once occupied the corner. Today the restored gas station has been relocated to 1880 Lake Shore Blvd W in Sir Casimir Gzowski Park. It’s the sole survivor of the 14 Joy Oil Co gas stations that once served Toronto. The Chateau-style structure received heritage status from the Ontario Heritage Trust in 1989 (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 127, Item 10)

1976/2021 - The restored Joy Oil Gas Station at 2001 Lake Shore Blvd W in Sir Casimir Gzowski Park was once located on the northwest corner of Lake Shore Blvd W and Windermere Ave in the Swansea neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1937, the Joy Oil Gas Station is an example of a Chateau-style gas station. The sole survivor, it was one of 14 gas stations operated in Toronto by Detroit-based Joy Oil Co. The impressive building received heritage status from the Ontario Heritage Trust in 1989. Notice the tire on the chimney in the present-day photo
1976/2021 – The restored Joy Oil Gas Station at 2001 Lake Shore Blvd W in Sir Casimir Gzowski Park was once located on the northwest corner of Lake Shore Blvd W and Windermere Ave in the Swansea neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1937, the Joy Oil Gas Station is an example of a Chateau-style gas station. The sole survivor, it was one of 14 gas stations operated in Toronto by Detroit-based Joy Oil Co. The impressive building received heritage status from the Ontario Heritage Trust in 1989. Notice the tire on the chimney in the present-day photo (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 127, Item 10)

SOURCE