Past & Present – Part 18

1972/2020 - Looking southeast towards Cherry St and Front St E in the West Don Lands neighbourhood of Toronto. From 1965 until 2007, the ground-floor corner of the building was home to the iconic Canary Restaurant. Today, the building is part of the upcoming mixed-use development to be known as the Canary House
1972/2020 – Looking southeast towards Cherry St and Front St E in the West Don Lands neighbourhood of Toronto. From 1965 until 2007, the ground-floor corner of the building was home to the iconic Canary Restaurant. Today, the building is part of the upcoming mixed-use development to be known as the Canary House (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 19, Item 29)

Circa 1921/2022 – Looking southeast towards the corner of Richmond St W and Maud St, in the Fashion District of Toronto. St Andrew’s Market, which once occupied the corner, is in the archive photo. In 1932, the market was torn down and replaced with the Water Works Building. The heritage-designated façade of the former Water Works Building is today incorporated into the new development
Circa 1921/2022 – Looking southeast towards the corner of Richmond St W and Maud St, in the Fashion District of Toronto. St Andrew’s Market, which once occupied the corner, is in the archive photo. In 1932, the market was torn down and replaced with the Water Works Building. The heritage-designated façade of the former Water Works Building is today incorporated into the new development (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 299)

1976/2021 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Lake Shore Blvd W and Windermere Ave, in the Swansea neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1937, the Joy Oil Gas Station once occupied the corner. Today the restored gas station has been relocated to 2001 Lake Shore Blvd W in Sir Casimir Gzowski Park. It’s the sole survivor of the 14 Joy Oil Co gas stations that once served Toronto. The Chateau-style structure received heritage status from the Ontario Heritage Trust in 1989
1976/2021 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Lake Shore Blvd W and Windermere Ave, in the Swansea neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1937, the Joy Oil Gas Station once occupied the corner. Today the restored gas station has been relocated to 2001 Lake Shore Blvd W in Sir Casimir Gzowski Park. It’s the sole survivor of the 14 Joy Oil Co gas stations that once served Toronto. The Chateau-style structure received heritage status from the Ontario Heritage Trust in 1989 (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 127, Item 10)

1974/2021 – Looking southwest towards College St from Yonge St and Breadalbane St in the Bay-Cloverhill neighbourhood of Toronto. Notice the St Charles clock tower and, in the archive photo, Eaton’s College Street store in the distance
1974/2021 – Looking southwest towards College St from Yonge St and Breadalbane St in the Bay-Cloverhill neighbourhood of Toronto. Notice the St Charles clock tower and, in the archive photo, Eaton’s College Street store in the distance (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 2, Item 70)

2021/1956 – Looking east from Sherbourne St and Howard St
2021/1956 – Looking east from Sherbourne St and Howard St (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, File 844, Item 23)

1972/2022 – Looking northeast towards the corner of Spadina Ave and Cecil St, in the Kensington-Chinatown neighbourhood of Toronto. Notice the building in the background on the right. Built in 1891 for the Church of Christ, it was later the Ostrovtzer Synagogue, then the Chinese Catholic Centre, and today is home to the Cecil Street Community Centre
1972/2022 – Looking northeast towards the corner of Spadina Ave and Cecil St, in the Kensington-Chinatown neighbourhood of Toronto. Notice the building in the background on the right. Built in 1891 for the Church of Christ, it was later the Ostrovtzer Synagogue, then the Chinese Catholic Centre, and today is home to the Cecil Street Community Centre (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 47, Item 3)

April 17, 1929/2021 – Looking northwest towards Toronto Fire Station 314 at 12 Grosvenor St in the Bay-Cloverhill neighbourhood. Notice the Central YMCA in the 2022 photo on the left next to the Fire Station
April 17, 1929/2021 – Looking northwest towards Toronto Fire Station 314 at 12 Grosvenor St in the Bay-Cloverhill neighbourhood. Notice the Central YMCA in the 2022 photo on the left next to the Fire Station (City of Toronto Archives, Series 372, Sub 1, Item 903)

June 24, 1929/2022 – Looking northwest towards Toronto Fire Station 314 at 12 Grosvenor St in the Bay-Cloverhill neighbourhood. Notice the Central YMCA on the left, next to the Fire Station in the present-day photo
June 24, 1929/2022 – Looking northwest towards Toronto Fire Station 314 at 12 Grosvenor St in the Bay-Cloverhill neighbourhood. Notice the Central YMCA on the left, next to the Fire Station in the present-day photo (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 370)

1966-72/2022 – Looking southeast from York St and Queens Quay W towards Pier 6 in the South Core area of Toronto. Built in 1907, Pier 6 is the oldest surviving building on the waterfront. The landmark is currently the BeaverTails pastry shop. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1973
1966-72/2022 – Looking southeast from York St and Queens Quay W towards Pier 6 in the South Core area of Toronto. Built in 1907, Pier 6 is the oldest surviving building on the waterfront. The landmark is currently the BeaverTails pastry shop. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 124, File 2, ID 128)

1931/2021 – Looking south on Bay St from Old City Hall on Queen St W, downtown Toronto. In the archive photo, notice the Temple Building on the right with the initials IOF
1931/2021 – Looking south on Bay St from Old City Hall on Queen St W, downtown Toronto. In the archive photo, notice the Temple Building on the right with the initials IOF (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 1828)

1919/2022 - Once the Dominion Business College, today, the Planet Traveler Hostel is located at 357 College St and Campbell Russell Ln, in the Kensington Market neighbourhood of Toronto. The building received heritage status from the city in 2018. Notice St Stephen-In-The-Fields Church on the right
1919/2022 – Once the Dominion Business College, today, the Planet Traveler Hostel is located at 357 College St and Campbell Russell Ln, in the Kensington Market neighbourhood of Toronto. The building received heritage status from the city in 2018. Notice St Stephen-In-The-Fields Church on the right (City of Toronto Archives, Series 372, Sub Series 58, Item 785)

2022/1926 – The Hemingway Building, originally the Cedarvale Mansions, is located at 1597-1599 Bathurst St in the Forest Hill South neighbourhood of Toronto 
  
Ernest Hemingway heritage plaque on the building reads:

"American-born Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961), internationally renowned author, lived in this apartment building, 1597-1599 Bathurst Street, in 1923-24, while working as a journalist for the Toronto Star. While here he became friends with novelist Morley Callaghan and writer/broadcaster Gordon Sinclair. He returned to Paris, France, where he began his career as a novelist, producing such masterpieces as "The Sun Also Rises," "A Farewell To Arms" & "For Whom the Bell Tolls." Toronto Historical Board 1985
2022/1926 – The Hemingway Building, originally the Cedarvale Mansions, is located at 1597-1599 Bathurst St in the Forest Hill South neighbourhood of Toronto (Toronto Public Library TSPA_0106401F)

Ernest Hemingway heritage plaque on the building reads:

“American-born Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961), internationally renowned author, lived in this apartment building, 1597-1599 Bathurst Street, in 1923-24, while working as a journalist for the Toronto Star. While here he became friends with novelist Morley Callaghan and writer/broadcaster Gordon Sinclair. He returned to Paris, France, where he began his career as a novelist, producing such masterpieces as “The Sun Also Rises,” “A Farewell To Arms” & “For Whom the Bell Tolls.” Toronto Historical Board 1985

1972/2022 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Spadina Ave and Sussex Ave, in the Harbord Village neighbourhood of Toronto. The heritage-designated eastern and southern facades at 698 Spadina Ave are being retained and incorporated into a mixed-use development
1972/2022 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Spadina Ave and Sussex Ave, in the Harbord Village neighbourhood of Toronto. The heritage-designated eastern and southern facades at 698 Spadina Ave are being retained and incorporated into a mixed-use development (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 55, Item 13)

2022/1972 – Looking northeast towards the corner of Adelaide St E and George St, in the Old Town/St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto. The group of buildings ranging from 252 to 264 Adelaide St E were initially known as the Bank of Upper Canada (built in 1825/27), De La Salle Institute (built in 1871) and Toronto's First Post Office (built in 1833/34 and is once again a post office today). The buildings received heritage status from the city in 1973
2022/1972 – Looking northeast towards the corner of Adelaide St E and George St, in the Old Town/St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto. The group of buildings ranging from 252 to 264 Adelaide St E were initially known as the Bank of Upper Canada (built in 1825/27), De La Salle Institute (built in 1871) and Toronto’s First Post Office (built in 1833/34 and is once again a post office today). The buildings received heritage status from the city in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 20, Item 3)

2022/1968 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Adelaide St E and George St, in the St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto. The group of buildings ranging from 264 to 252 Adelaide St E were initially known as Toronto's First Post Office (built in 1833/34 and is once again a post office today), De La Salle Institute (built in 1871) and Bank of Upper Canada (built in 1825/27). The buildings received heritage status from the city in 1973
2022/1968 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Adelaide St E and George St, in the St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto. The group of buildings ranging from 264 to 252 Adelaide St E were initially known as Toronto’s First Post Office (built in 1833/34 and is once again a post office today), De La Salle Institute (built in 1871) and Bank of Upper Canada (built in 1825/27). The buildings received heritage status from the city in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 124, File 2, ID 19)

2022/1972 - Looking southwest towards the corner of King St E and Berkeley St in the St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1891/92, the four-storey Eclectic Victorian-style structure was the offices and halls for merchants John and George Reid of the Reid Lumber Company. Today, Italinteriors occupies the space at 359 King St E. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973
2022/1972 – Looking southwest towards the corner of King St E and Berkeley St in the St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1891/92, the four-storey Eclectic Victorian-style structure was the offices and halls for merchants John and George Reid of the Reid Lumber Company. Today, Italinteriors occupies the space at 359 King St E. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 21, Item 21)

1972/2022 - Looking southeast towards the corner of King St E and Berkeley St, once occupied by The Toronto Star in the St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto
1972/2022 – Looking southeast towards the corner of King St E and Berkeley St, once occupied by The Toronto Star in the St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 21, Item 20)

2021/1975 - Looking northeast towards the former Garibaldi House at the corner of King St E and Berkeley St, in the Old Town neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1859 and originally a tavern, the Garibaldi House was named after Giuseppe Garibaldi, an Italian General. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1973. Today it’s home to Neglia Design, a graphic design agency
2021/1975 – Looking northeast towards the former Garibaldi House at the corner of King St E and Berkeley St, in the Old Town neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1859 and originally a tavern, the Garibaldi House was named after Giuseppe Garibaldi, an Italian General. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1973. Today it’s home to Neglia Design, a graphic design agency (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 124, File 3, ID 40)

1936/2022 - Looking southwest towards the corner of Queen St E and Munro Park, in The Beaches neighbourhood of Toronto. The archive photo shows one of CLEAN-IT-ERIA’s locations, a dry-cleaning business that once had over 30 outlets throughout the city. Today it’s home to Bulging Burger
1936/2022 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Queen St E and Munro Park, in The Beaches neighbourhood of Toronto. The archive photo shows one of CLEAN-IT-ERIA’s locations, a dry-cleaning business that once had over 30 outlets throughout the city. Today it’s home to Bulging Burger (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 16, Series 71, Item 11613)

1985-90s/2022 - Looking southeast toward the second Captain John's Harbour Boat Restaurant once on Queens Quay at the foot of Yonge St on the Harbourfront of Toronto
1985-90s/2022 – Looking southeast toward the second Captain John’s Harbour Boat Restaurant once on Queens Quay at the foot of Yonge St on the Harbourfront of Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 16, Item 1)

1981/2022 – Looking east towards Captain John's first harbour boat restaurant (the Normac) after being hit by a city-operated ferry boat. Captain John's was located on Queens Quay at the foot of Yonge St on the Harbourfront of Toronto
1981/2022 – Looking east towards Captain John’s first harbour boat restaurant (the Normac) after being hit by a city-operated ferry boat. Captain John’s was located on Queens Quay at the foot of Yonge St on the Harbourfront of Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 115, Item 10)

1970/2021 – Looking towards the northeast corner of Yonge St and Granby St, in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. Notice in the archive photo that the two streets once intersected. The Record Bar was one of many record stores on Yonge St, which included Sam the Record Man, A&A Records, Music World, the Vinyl Museum, Millwheel Records, Cheapies, Records On Wheels and more
1970/2021 – Looking towards the northeast corner of Yonge St and Granby St, in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. Notice in the archive photo that the two streets once intersected. The Record Bar was one of many record stores on Yonge St, which included Sam the Record Man, A&A Records, Music World, the Vinyl Museum, Millwheel Records, Cheapies, Records On Wheels and more (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 3, Item 1)

2020/circa1970 - The Alumnae Theatre Company, originally the Berkeley Street Fire Hall No. 4, located at 70 Berkeley St and Adelaide St E on the southwest corner in the St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1905, architect Alexander Frank Wickson designed the firehall in the Edwardian Classical style. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973
2020/circa1970 – The Alumnae Theatre Company, originally the Berkeley Street Fire Hall No. 4, located at 70 Berkeley St and Adelaide St E on the southwest corner in the St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1905, architect Alexander Frank Wickson designed the firehall in the Edwardian Classical style. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2043, Series 2523, File 144, Item 1)

2022/1970 – Looking northeast towards 423 Yonge St, north of Gerrard St E in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. In 2017, artist Adrian Hayles painted the south-facing Yonge Street Music History mural on the 22-storey building. Notice in the 2022 photo The McGill Street Arch
2022/1970 – Looking northeast towards 423 Yonge St, north of Gerrard St E in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. In 2017, artist Adrian Hayles painted the south-facing Yonge Street Music History mural on the 22-storey building. Notice in the 2022 photo The McGill Street Arch (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 3, item 2)

1907/2022 – Looking south on Avenue of the Island, once known as Manitou Rd, from the bridge over Long Pond on Centre Island. This area on Toronto Island was once home to many shops, hotels, restaurants and businesses
1907/2022 – Looking south on Avenue of the Island, once known as Manitou Rd, from the bridge over Long Pond on Centre Island. This area on Toronto Island was once home to many shops, hotels, restaurants and businesses (Toronto Public Library PC-3596)

1984/2022 - Looking northeast towards the second Captain John's Harbour Boat Restaurant (the Jadran), once located on Queens Quay at the foot of Yonge St on the Harbourfront of Toronto. Notice the Toronto Star Building in both photos
1984/2022 – Looking northeast towards the second Captain John’s Harbour Boat Restaurant (the Jadran), once located on Queens Quay at the foot of Yonge St on the Harbourfront of Toronto. Notice the Toronto Star Building in both photos (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 115, Item 16)

2022/1934 - Ned Hanlan was one of the world's greatest oarsmen. Once located at Exhibition Place, his monument was moved by the ferry dock at Hanlan's Point on Toronto Island. Hanlan was the first Canadian athlete to become a world champion in an individual event
2022/1934 – Ned Hanlan was one of the world’s greatest oarsmen. Once located at Exhibition Place, his monument was moved by the ferry dock at Hanlan’s Point on Toronto Island. Hanlan was the first Canadian athlete to become a world champion in an individual event (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1548, Series 393, Item 24345-1)

2022/1978-83 – Looking southwest from the corner of Yonge St and Isabella St in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto
2022/1978-83 – Looking southwest from the corner of Yonge St and Isabella St in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds, Series 1465, File 611, Item 12)

2022/1952 – Looking west from McGill St towards Yonge St and The McGill Street Arch. The stone arch was preserved and rebuilt from the former St Andrew's United Church on Bloor St E as a pedestrian gateway when the city closed the McGill St and Yonge St intersection to traffic. In the archive photo, notice Hayter St once intersected with Yonge St. Also note Eaton's College Street store on the right, today College Park
2022/1952 – Looking west from McGill St towards Yonge St and The McGill Street Arch. The stone arch was preserved and rebuilt from the former St Andrew’s United Church on Bloor St E as a pedestrian gateway when the city closed the McGill St and Yonge St intersection to traffic. In the archive photo, notice Hayter St once intersected with Yonge St. Also note Eaton’s College Street store on the right, today College Park (City of Toronto Archives, Series 574, File 81, Item 491027)

1975/2022 - Looking southwest towards the corner of Dundas St E and Church St in downtown Toronto. The building at 260 Church St was originally The Sterling Bank of Canada, then CIBC and later Pizza Pizza. The building received heritage status from the city in 2021. Notice the steeple of St Michael’s Cathedral Basilica in the background on the left, and the archive photo shows the CN Tower under construction on the right
1975/2022 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Dundas St E and Church St in downtown Toronto. The building at 260 Church St was originally The Sterling Bank of Canada, then CIBC and later Pizza Pizza. The building received heritage status from the city in 2021. Notice the steeple of St Michael’s Cathedral Basilica in the background on the left, and the archive photo shows the CN Tower under construction on the right (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 47, Item 46)

2022-1978-80 – Looking towards the front entrance to Massey Hall from Shuter St in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. The now National Historic Site of Canada was a gift from Hart Massey to the people of Toronto to develop the arts
2022-1978-80 – Looking towards the front entrance to Massey Hall from Shuter St in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. The now National Historic Site of Canada was a gift from Hart Massey to the people of Toronto to develop the arts (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1465, File 305, Item 9)

1975/2022 - Originally the Athenaeum Club and later the Labor Temple located at 167 Church St, south of Dundas St E in the Garden District of Toronto. Built in 1891, architects Denison & King designed the building in the Moorish Revival style, rare in Toronto. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973. Today the historic facade of the Athenaeum Club has been preserved and incorporated into the Jazz apartments
1975/2022 – Originally the Athenaeum Club and later the Labor Temple located at 167 Church St, south of Dundas St E in the Garden District of Toronto. Built in 1891, architects Denison & King designed the building in the Moorish Revival style, rare in Toronto. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973. Today the historic facade of the Athenaeum Club has been preserved and incorporated into the Jazz apartments (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 8, Item 46)

1975/2020 - The historic façade at 167 Church St was once part of the Athenaeum Club. It was built in 1891 and designed by architects Denison & King in Moorish Revival style. From 1904 until 1967, the building was home to the Labor Temple, a centre for labour issues and debates. The asymmetrical façade which features intricate brickwork was preserved and incorporated into the Jazz apartments
1975/2020 – The historic façade at 167 Church St was once part of the Athenaeum Club. It was built in 1891 and designed by architects Denison & King in Moorish Revival style. From 1904 until 1967, the building was home to the Labor Temple, a centre for labour issues and debates. The asymmetrical façade which features intricate brickwork was preserved and incorporated into the Jazz apartments (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 8, Item 46)

SOURCE