Past & Present – Part 16

Posted:

1972/2020 – Looking towards the Black Bull Tavern, once the Clifton House, at the northeast corner of Queen St W St and Soho St, in the Entertainment District of Toronto. It's a popular spot for locals and visitors, offering a cozy pub atmosphere, a wide selection of beer on tap, and hearty pub fare. Whether you're looking for a place to grab a drink after work or a spot to watch the game with friends, the Black Bull Tavern is worth a visit
1972/2020 – Looking towards the Black Bull Tavern, once the Clifton House, at the northeast corner of Queen St W St and Soho St, in the Entertainment District of Toronto. It’s a popular spot for locals and visitors, offering a cozy pub atmosphere, a wide selection of beer on tap, and hearty pub fare. Whether you’re looking for a place to grab a drink after work or a spot to watch the game with friends, the Black Bull Tavern is worth a visit (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 48, Item 26)

1972/2020 – Looking towards the northeast corner of George St and Richmond St E in the Old Town neighbourhood of Toronto. The archive photo shows the Richmond Restaurant today the George Street Diner occupies the space
1972/2020 – Looking towards the northeast corner of George St and Richmond St E in the Old Town neighbourhood of Toronto. The archive photo shows the Richmond Restaurant today the George Street Diner occupies the space (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 20, Item 1)

2021/1972 - Munk School of Global Affairs and Public Policy (The Observatory) at 315 Bloor St W and Devonshire Pl. Built in 1908 and once the Dominion Meteorological Building. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973
2021/1972 – Munk School of Global Affairs and Public Policy (The Observatory) at 315 Bloor St W and Devonshire Pl. Built in 1908 and once the Dominion Meteorological Building. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 66, Item 32)

1981/2021 – Looking west towards the corner of Dundas St E and Church St in Downtown Toronto. The building at 260 Church St was originally The Sterling Bank of Canada, then CIBC and later Pizza Pizza. The building received heritage status from the city in 2021. Update - as of 2022, Pizza Pizza has since moved
1981/2021 – Looking west towards the corner of Dundas St E and Church St in Downtown Toronto. The building at 260 Church St was originally The Sterling Bank of Canada, then CIBC and later Pizza Pizza. The building received heritage status from the city in 2021. Update – as of 2022, Pizza Pizza has since moved (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 52, Item 115)

1931/2022 – Looking east from the CNE grounds towards the Princes’ Gates, Automotive Building on the right. Notice in the archive photo the Electrical Building on the left today, the Enercare Centre
1931/2022 – Looking east from the CNE grounds towards the Princes’ Gates, Automotive Building on the right. Notice in the archive photo the Electrical Building on the left today, the Enercare Centre (CNE Archives)

July 1, 1977/June 25, 2022 –  Looking southeast along College St from Bay St in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. 

The archive photo shows a portion of Eaton's College Street store that extended to the southeast corner of College St and Bay St being demolished
July 1, 1977/June 25, 2022 – Looking southeast along College St from Bay St in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto.

The archive photo shows a portion of Eaton’s College Street store that extended to the southeast corner of College St and Bay St being demolished (City of Toronto Archives, Harvey R. Naylor fonds, Fonds 1526, File 93, Item 31)

1995/2022 – Looking east from Exhibition Place towards the Princes’ Gates, CN Tower and the Toronto skyline. Notice in the archive photo the Molson building in the distance
1995/2022 – Looking east from Exhibition Place towards the Princes’ Gates, CN Tower and the Toronto skyline. Notice in the archive photo the Molson building in the distance (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 56, Item 5)

1884/1955 – Stanley Barracks is located at Exhibition Place in Toronto. Built in 1841, the limestone building was originally the Officers' Quarters in what was known as the New Fort, a military post established to supplement Fort York. The building was renamed Stanley Barracks in 1893 in honour of Governor General Lord Frederick Stanley. The barracks later served as public housing and various museums, including Canada's Sports Hall of Fame/Hockey Hall of Fame. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973
1884/1955 – Stanley Barracks is located at Exhibition Place in Toronto. Built in 1841, the limestone building was originally the Officers’ Quarters in what was known as the New Fort, a military post established to supplement Fort York. The building was renamed Stanley Barracks in 1893 in honour of Governor General Lord Frederick Stanley. The barracks later served as public housing and various museums, including Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame/Hockey Hall of Fame. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Series 327, Sub Series 1, Item 19 & Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 742)

2022/1982-86 - Looking east on Temperance St towards Yonge St and the Arcade Building in the Financial District of Toronto. It looks like the archive photo was taken during a movie shoot
2022/1982-86 – Looking east on Temperance St towards Yonge St and the Arcade Building in the Financial District of Toronto. It looks like the archive photo was taken during a movie shoot (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 605, Item 1)

1954/2022 - Looking east on Temperance St towards Yonge St in the Financial District of Toronto. The empty lot in the archive photo was once home to the first Arcade Building. It was replaced by the present-day structure in 1960. Notice in the archive photo on the centre-left, the Comstock Building at the corner of Victoria St and Lombard St, which is still there today
1954/2022 – Looking east on Temperance St towards Yonge St in the Financial District of Toronto. The empty lot in the archive photo was once home to the first Arcade Building. It was replaced by the present-day structure in 1960. Notice in the archive photo on the centre-left, the Comstock Building at the corner of Victoria St and Lombard St, which is still there today (Toronto Public Library R-1477)

1906-09/2022 - The Administration Building, later known as the Press Building, is located at 210 Princes' Blvd at Exhibition Place. Built in 1905, this was the first of several structures at the Canadian National Exhibition designed by architect George Wallace Gouinlock. The Beaux-Arts style building was home to the CNE Association from 1905 until 1957. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1973, and today is once again the CNE Administration Building
1906-09/2022 – The Administration Building, later known as the Press Building, is located at 210 Princes’ Blvd at Exhibition Place. Built in 1905, this was the first of several structures at the Canadian National Exhibition designed by architect George Wallace Gouinlock. The Beaux-Arts style building was home to the CNE Association from 1905 until 1957. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1973, and today is once again the CNE Administration Building (CNE Archives)

1972/2022 - Looking south on St Nicholas St from Charles St W in the Bloor-Yorkville area of Toronto. Notice the former Robert Barron Stables, the red-brick building in the centre left
1972/2022 – Looking south on St Nicholas St from Charles St W in the Bloor-Yorkville area of Toronto. Notice the former Robert Barron Stables, the red-brick building in the centre left (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 66, Item 17)

1974/2020 - The 2½-storey semi-detached homes located at 9 and 11 Spadina Rd, north of Bloor St W, in The Annex neighbourhood, were built in 1890. The houses were amongst the first buildings constructed on the street, and the original occupants were FW Himsworth at 9 Spadina Rd and George Stinson at 11. The red brick homes feature Gothic Revival and Italianate architectural elements and decorative wood detailing, including on the front gables and two-storey verandahs. 

The structure received heritage status from the city in 1974. In the archive photo, the homes were rooming houses, according to the Toronto
1974/2020 – The 2½-storey semi-detached homes located at 9 and 11 Spadina Rd, north of Bloor St W, in The Annex neighbourhood, were built in 1890. The houses were amongst the first buildings constructed on the street, and the original occupants were FW Himsworth at 9 Spadina Rd and George Stinson at 11. The red brick homes feature Gothic Revival and Italianate architectural elements and decorative wood detailing, including on the front gables and two-storey verandahs.

The structure received heritage status from the city in 1974. In the archive photo, the homes were rooming houses, according to the Toronto City Directory (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 8359)

1974-2021 - Looking southwest towards the corner of Spadina Rd and Lowther Ave in The Annex neighbourhood of Toronto. Today Alliance Francaise Toronto - Downtown campus occupies the space at 24 Spadina Rd
1974-2021 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Spadina Rd and Lowther Ave in The Annex neighbourhood of Toronto. Today Alliance Francaise Toronto – Downtown campus occupies the space at 24 Spadina Rd (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 8468)

2022/1974 - Looking northeast towards 24 Spadina Rd at Lowther Ave in The Annex neighbourhood of Toronto. Today Alliance Francaise Toronto - Downtown campus occupies the space at the building. Notice in the background 35 Walmer Rd Apartments
2022/1974 – Looking northeast towards 24 Spadina Rd at Lowther Ave in The Annex neighbourhood of Toronto. Today Alliance Francaise Toronto – Downtown campus occupies the space at the building. Notice in the background 35 Walmer Rd Apartments (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 8466)

1972/2022 - Looking southeast towards the corner of George St and Queen St E in the St Lawrence/Moss Park neighbourhoods of Toronto. The corner building at 167/69 Queen St E received heritage status from the city in 2019
1972/2022 – Looking southeast towards the corner of George St and Queen St E in the St Lawrence/Moss Park neighbourhoods of Toronto. The corner building at 167/69 Queen St E received heritage status from the city in 2019 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 27, Item 32)

1935-37/2022 - The Cameo Theatre was once located at 989 Pape Ave and Floyd Ave on the southeast corner, north of Danforth Ave in the Pape Village neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1934, architects Kaplan & Sprachman designed the 743-seat theatre in the Art Deco style. On the marquee, “The Thin Man,” starring William Powell and Myrna Loy and “This Side of Heaven,” starring Lionel Barrymore, were playing. The theatre closed in the late-1950s and today, the building is home to commercial space
1935-37/2022 – The Cameo Theatre was once located at 989 Pape Ave and Floyd Ave on the southeast corner, north of Danforth Ave in the Pape Village neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1934, architects Kaplan & Sprachman designed the 743-seat theatre in the Art Deco style. On the marquee, “The Thin Man,” starring William Powell and Myrna Loy and “This Side of Heaven,” starring Lionel Barrymore, were playing. The theatre closed in the late-1950s and today, the building is home to commercial space (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1488, Series 1230, Item 1104)

1907/2022 - Jarvis Street Baptist Church is located at 130 Gerrard St E and Jarvis St on the northeast corner in the Garden District neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1875, architects Langley, Langley & Burke designed the Baptist church in the Gothic Revival style. Jarvis Street Baptist Church received heritage status from the city in 1973
1907/2022 – Jarvis Street Baptist Church is located at 130 Gerrard St E and Jarvis St on the northeast corner in the Garden District neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1875, architects Langley, Langley & Burke designed the Baptist church in the Gothic Revival style. Jarvis Street Baptist Church received heritage status from the city in 1973 (Toronto Public Library R-521)

2022/1949 – Park Theatre, originally Bedford Theatre, was once located at 3289-3291 Yonge St and Glenforest Rd, north of Lawrence Ave E in Toronto's Yonge and Lawrence neighbourhood. Built in 1927, architect Murray Brown designed the theatre. On the marquee, "The Fountainhead" with Gary Cooper and "The Window" with Barbara Hale were playing. In 1949, it was renamed Park Theatre and closed in the 1980s. The building transitioned to retail space
2022/1949 – Park Theatre, originally Bedford Theatre, was once located at 3289-3291 Yonge St and Glenforest Rd, north of Lawrence Ave E in Toronto’s Yonge and Lawrence neighbourhood. Built in 1927, architect Murray Brown designed the theatre. On the marquee, “The Fountainhead” with Gary Cooper and “The Window” with Barbara Hale were playing. In 1949, it was renamed Park Theatre and closed in the 1980s. The building transitioned to retail space (Archives of Ontario I0012619)

1936/2021 - Park Hyatt Hotel, originally Park Plaza Hotel, at 4 Avenue Rd and Bloor St W, on the northwest corner in The Annex/Yorkville neighbourhoods of Toronto. Architect Hugh Gordon Holman designed the hotel's south tower, which opened in July 1936. The north tower was added in 1956. The building received heritage status from the city in 1985. Notice the Royal Ontario Museum on the left
1936/2021 – Park Hyatt Hotel, originally Park Plaza Hotel, at 4 Avenue Rd and Bloor St W, on the northwest corner in The Annex/Yorkville neighbourhoods of Toronto. Architect Hugh Gordon Holman designed the hotel’s south tower, which opened in July 1936. The north tower was added in 1956. The building received heritage status from the city in 1985. Notice the Royal Ontario Museum on the left (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1034, Item 173)

1924/2022 – Looking southeast towards the Lillian Massey Building/Department of Household Science located at 153 Bloor St W and Queen's Park in the Yorkville neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1908/12, architect George Martel Miller designed the structure for Lillian Massey. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973
1924/2022 – Looking southeast towards the Lillian Massey Building/Department of Household Science located at 153 Bloor St W and Queen’s Park in the Yorkville neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1908/12, architect George Martel Miller designed the structure for Lillian Massey. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, File 3, Item 1006)

2022/1980 - Lillian Massey Building/Department of Household Science is located at 153 Bloor St W and Queen's Park, on the southeast corner in the Yorkville neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1908/12, architect George Martel Miller designed the building for Lillian Massey. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973. Notice the Church of the Redeemer on the left
2022/1980 – Lillian Massey Building/Department of Household Science is located at 153 Bloor St W and Queen’s Park, on the southeast corner in the Yorkville neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1908/12, architect George Martel Miller designed the building for Lillian Massey. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973. Notice the Church of the Redeemer on the left (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 124, File 3, ID 70)

1955/2022 - The Royal Ontario Museum, or ROM, is located at 100 Queen’s Park and Bloor St W on the southwest corner in the University of Toronto – St George Campus area. The building received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1973 and Ontario Heritage Trust in 2003. Notice the CN Tower in the distance
1955/2022 – The Royal Ontario Museum, or ROM, is located at 100 Queen’s Park and Bloor St W on the southwest corner in the University of Toronto – St George Campus area. The building received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1973 and Ontario Heritage Trust in 2003. Notice the CN Tower in the distance (Toronto Public Library R-5332)

1930s/2022 – Looking south towards the Royal Ontario Museum at 100 Queen’s Park and Bloor St W in the University of Toronto – St George Campus area. Notice the pillars of The Alexandra Gates on each side of Queen’s Park. Today, they’re located at the north end of Philosopher’s Walk, on Bloor St W
1930s/2022 – Looking south towards the Royal Ontario Museum at 100 Queen’s Park and Bloor St W in the University of Toronto – St George Campus area. Notice the pillars of The Alexandra Gates on each side of Queen’s Park. Today, they’re located at the north end of Philosopher’s Walk, on Bloor St W (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 1140)

1948/2022 - Looking south down Bay St from north of College St. Notice the Eaton College Street store on the right in the archive photo. The store once took the entire block from Yonge St to Bay St
1948/2022 – Looking south down Bay St from north of College St. Notice the Eaton College Street store on the right in the archive photo. The store once took the entire block from Yonge St to Bay St (City of Toronto Archives, Series 372, Sub Series 58, Item 1821)

SOURCE

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

24,817FollowersFollow
103FollowersFollow
8,850FollowersFollow