Past & Present – Part 15

1972/2022 - Looking west towards Woodward Evans Ln just north of Gerrard St E on Parliament St in the Cabbagetown neighbourhood of Toronto
1972/2022 – Looking west towards Woodward Evans Ln just north of Gerrard St E on Parliament St in the Cabbagetown neighbourhood of Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 31, Item 30)
1974/2022 – Looking southeast towards the semi-detached homes built in 1889 located at 9 and 11 Spadina Rd, north of Bloor St W in The Annex neighbourhood of Toronto. The homes received heritage status from the city in 1974
1974/2022 – Looking southeast towards the semi-detached homes built in 1889 located at 9 and 11 Spadina Rd, north of Bloor St W in The Annex neighbourhood of Toronto. The homes received heritage status from the city in 1974 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 8359)

1962/2022 – The Better Living Centre is located at 195 Princes' Blvd at Exhibition Place. Built in 1962, the Modernist structure was designed by the architectural firm Marani, Morris & Allan to exhibit the latest in consumer goods. The Better Living Centre received heritage status from the city in 1993. Today the venue hosts consumer shows and events year-round
1962/2022 – The Better Living Centre is located at 195 Princes’ Blvd at Exhibition Place. Built in 1962, the Modernist structure was designed by the architectural firm Marani, Morris & Allan to exhibit the latest in consumer goods. The Better Living Centre received heritage status from the city in 1993. Today the venue hosts consumer shows and events year-round (Toronto Public Library TSPA_0111988F)

1977-80s/2022 - Looking north on Yonge St from just south of Gerrard St, in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. Notice College Park, formerly Eaton's College Street store, in the centre background
1977-80s/2022 – Looking north on Yonge St from just south of Gerrard St, in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. Notice College Park, formerly Eaton’s College Street store, in the centre background (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1465, File 505, Item 3)

1978-80/1920s - Looking southwest towards the west side of Yonge St from Gerrard St E, in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. Bassel's Restaurant and Olympia Bowling Club once occupied 385 Yonge St
1978-80/1920s – Looking southwest towards the west side of Yonge St from Gerrard St E, in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. Bassel’s Restaurant and Olympia Bowling Club once occupied 385 Yonge St (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 310, Item 5 & Fonds 1488, Series 1230, Item 3179)

2022/1920– The Railways Building, today known as the Music Building, is located at 285 Manitoba Dr at Exhibition Place. Built in 1907, architect George Wallace Gouinlock designed the structure as a joint project for the Exhibition, Canadian Pacific Railway and Grand Trunk Railway. The three-octagon-topped building received heritage status from the city in 1973. Today, it's home to creative and commercial space
2022/1920– The Railways Building, today known as the Music Building, is located at 285 Manitoba Dr at Exhibition Place. Built in 1907, architect George Wallace Gouinlock designed the structure as a joint project for the Exhibition, Canadian Pacific Railway and Grand Trunk Railway. The three-octagon-topped building received heritage status from the city in 1973. Today, it’s home to creative and commercial space (CNE Archives)

1963/2022 – Looking southeast towards the Bandshell located in Bandshell Park at Exhibition Place in Toronto. Built in 1936, architects Craig & Madill designed the open-air Art Deco-style concert venue. The Bandshell was built to replace an earlier bandstand stage. The Bandshell received heritage status from the city in 1973. In the present-day photo, notice the cement base where the Canadian National Exhibition flagpole once stood
1963/2022 – Looking southeast towards the Bandshell located in Bandshell Park at Exhibition Place in Toronto. Built in 1936, architects Craig & Madill designed the open-air Art Deco-style concert venue. The Bandshell was built to replace an earlier bandstand stage. The Bandshell received heritage status from the city in 1973. In the present-day photo, notice the cement base where the Canadian National Exhibition flagpole once stood (CNE Archives)

2022/1946 - The Bandshell is located in Bandshell Park at Exhibition Place in Toronto. Built in 1936, architects Craig & Madill designed the open-air Art Deco-style concert venue. The Bandshell was built to replace an earlier bandstand stage. The Bandshell received heritage status from the city in 1973
2022/1946 – The Bandshell is located in Bandshell Park at Exhibition Place in Toronto. Built in 1936, architects Craig & Madill designed the open-air Art Deco-style concert venue. The Bandshell was built to replace an earlier bandstand stage. The Bandshell received heritage status from the city in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 2367)

2022/1930 - The Shrine Peace Memorial is located in the Rose Garden on the south side of Exhibition Place
2022/1930 – The Shrine Peace Memorial is located in the Rose Garden on the south side of Exhibition Place (CNE Archives)

1981/2022 – You wanna go faster?! The Polar Express at the Canadian National Exhibition
1981/2022 – You wanna go faster?! The Polar Express at the Canadian National Exhibition (CNE Archives)

1974/2022 - Carillon Tower, originally the Carlsberg Carillon located in Bandshell Park at Exhibition Place in Toronto. The structure was presented to the Canadian National Exhibition in 1974 by Carling-O’Keefe Breweries. Manufactured in the Netherlands by the Royal Eijsbouts Bell Foundry, a company world-renowned for its carillons, bells, belfries, tower clocks and bronze artwork. The tower received heritage status from the city in 1993
1974/2022 – Carillon Tower, originally the Carlsberg Carillon located in Bandshell Park at Exhibition Place in Toronto. The structure was presented to the Canadian National Exhibition in 1974 by Carling-O’Keefe Breweries. Manufactured in the Netherlands by the Royal Eijsbouts Bell Foundry, a company world-renowned for its carillons, bells, belfries, tower clocks and bronze artwork. The tower received heritage status from the city in 1993 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 94, Item 131)

1961/2022 - The Shrine Peace Memorial is located in the Rose Garden on the south side of Exhibition Place in Toronto. Notice in the background of the archive photo, from left to right, the former Transportation Building, the Bandshell Café (today known as Acqua Dolce), the Bandshell, and in the distance, the Government Building (today known as Medieval Times Building)
1961/2022 – The Shrine Peace Memorial is located in the Rose Garden on the south side of Exhibition Place in Toronto. Notice in the background of the archive photo, from left to right, the former Transportation Building, the Bandshell Café (today known as Acqua Dolce), the Bandshell, and in the distance, the Government Building (today known as Medieval Times Building) (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 536, Item 748)

1925/2022- Fort Rouillé Monument is located on the south side of Exhibition Place in Toronto. Fort Rouillé was a French trading post located on this site from 1750/51 until 1759, when its garrison destroyed it. The concrete walkway surrounding the monument today delineates the walls of the former Fort. Notice in the archive photo Scadding Cabin in the background. The site received heritage status from the city in 1995
1925/2022- Fort Rouillé Monument is located on the south side of Exhibition Place in Toronto. Fort Rouillé was a French trading post located on this site from 1750/51 until 1759, when its garrison destroyed it. The concrete walkway surrounding the monument today delineates the walls of the former Fort. Notice in the archive photo Scadding Cabin in the background. The site received heritage status from the city in 1995 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 16, Series 71, Item 3779)

1940s-50s/2021 – Stanley Barracks is located at Exhibition Place in Toronto. Built in 1841, the limestone building was originally the Officers' Quarters in what was known as the New Fort, a military post established to replace Fort York. The building was renamed Stanley Barracks in 1893 in honour of Governor General Lord Frederick Stanley. The barracks later served as public housing, the Marine Museum of Upper Canada, Canada's Sports Hall of Fame, and the Hockey Hall of Fame. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973. Today, Stanley Barracks, Square and Gardens are part of Hotel X
1940s-50s/2021 – Stanley Barracks is located at Exhibition Place in Toronto. Built in 1841, the limestone building was originally the Officers’ Quarters in what was known as the New Fort, a military post established to replace Fort York. The building was renamed Stanley Barracks in 1893 in honour of Governor General Lord Frederick Stanley. The barracks later served as public housing, the Marine Museum of Upper Canada, Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame, and the Hockey Hall of Fame. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973. Today, Stanley Barracks, Square and Gardens are part of Hotel X (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 742)

1937/2021 - The Press Building, today known as the Administration Building, is located at 210 Princes’ Blvd at Exhibition Place. Built in 1905, this was the first of several structures at the Canadian National Exhibition designed by architect George Wallace Gouinlock. The Beaux-Arts style building was home to the CNE Association from 1905 until 1957. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1973
1937/2021 – The Press Building, today known as the Administration Building, is located at 210 Princes’ Blvd at Exhibition Place. Built in 1905, this was the first of several structures at the Canadian National Exhibition designed by architect George Wallace Gouinlock. The Beaux-Arts style building was home to the CNE Association from 1905 until 1957. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 1449)

1928/2020 - Fire Hall and Police Station at Exhibition Place in Toronto. Built in 1912, architect George Wallace Gouinlock designed the building. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973
1928/2020 – Fire Hall and Police Station at Exhibition Place in Toronto. Built in 1912, architect George Wallace Gouinlock designed the building. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 363)

1925/2021- The Coliseum, present-day Coca-Cola Coliseum, is located at Exhibition Place in Toronto. Built in 1921/22, architect George Frederick William Price designed the arena. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973
1925/2021- The Coliseum, present-day Coca-Cola Coliseum, is located at Exhibition Place in Toronto. Built in 1921/22, architect George Frederick William Price designed the arena. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973 (CNE Archives)

2021/1931 - The Princes' Gates, the entrance to the CNE and Exhibition Place, are located at Strachan Ave and Lake Shore Blvd W in the Niagara neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1927, architects Chapman and Oxley designed the structure in the iconic Beaux-Arts style. The Princes' Gates received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1973
2021/1931 – The Princes’ Gates, the entrance to the CNE and Exhibition Place, are located at Strachan Ave and Lake Shore Blvd W in the Niagara neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1927, architects Chapman and Oxley designed the structure in the iconic Beaux-Arts style. The Princes’ Gates received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1973 (Library and Archive Canada a057033-v8)

1912/2022 - Royal Alexandra Theatre is located at 260 King St W in Toronto's Entertainment District. Built in 1907, architect John McIntosh Lyle designed the Beaux-Arts style building. The theatre became a National Historic Site of Canada in 1987, on its 80th birthday
1912/2022 – Royal Alexandra Theatre is located at 260 King St W in Toronto’s Entertainment District. Built in 1907, architect John McIntosh Lyle designed the Beaux-Arts style building. The theatre became a National Historic Site of Canada in 1987, on its 80th birthday (Toronto Public Library PC_3768)

1950/2022 - Royal Alexandra Theatre is located at 260 King St W in Toronto's Entertainment District. Built in 1907, architect John McIntosh Lyle designed the Beaux-Arts style building. The theatre became a National Historic Site of Canada in 1987, on its 80th birthday
1950/2022 – Royal Alexandra Theatre is located at 260 King St W in Toronto’s Entertainment District. Built in 1907, architect John McIntosh Lyle designed the Beaux-Arts style building. The theatre became a National Historic Site of Canada in 1987, on its 80th birthday (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1128, Series 380, Item 349)

2020/2022 - Royal Alexandra Theatre is located at 260 King St W in Toronto's Entertainment District. Built in 1907, architect John McIntosh Lyle designed the Beaux-Arts style building. The theatre became a National Historic Site of Canada in 1987, on its 80th birthday
2020/2022 – Royal Alexandra Theatre is located at 260 King St W in Toronto’s Entertainment District. Built in 1907, architect John McIntosh Lyle designed the Beaux-Arts style building. The theatre became a National Historic Site of Canada in 1987, on its 80th birthday

1910/2022 – Looking northeast along Yonge St towards Shuter St, from north of Queen St
1910/2022 – Looking northeast along Yonge St towards Shuter St, from north of Queen St (Toronto Public Library R-5744)

2022/circa 1953 – The Yonge Street Mission Building was once located at 381 Yonge St, south of Gerrard St E in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. Built in 1904, the west façade of the structure was completely rebuilt in 1953. Today, the heritage-designated façade of the Yonge Street Mission Building is part of the Concord Sky condo development
2022/circa 1953 – The Yonge Street Mission Building was once located at 381 Yonge St, south of Gerrard St E in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. Built in 1904, the west façade of the structure was completely rebuilt in 1953. Today, the heritage-designated façade of the Yonge Street Mission Building is part of the Concord Sky condo development (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1128, Series 380, Item 287)

1950/2022 - Gerrard Building was once located at 385 Yonge St and Gerrard St E, on the southeast corner in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. Built in 1924, architects Sproatt and Rolph designed the building for the Canada Life Assurance Company. Today, the heritage-designated façade of the Gerrard Building is part of the Concord Sky condo development
1950/2022 – Gerrard Building was once located at 385 Yonge St and Gerrard St E, on the southeast corner in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. Built in 1924, architects Sproatt and Rolph designed the building for the Canada Life Assurance Company. Today, the heritage-designated façade of the Gerrard Building is part of the Concord Sky condo development (City of Toronto Archives, Series 574, File 19, ID 49389)

1918/2022 - Looking southeast towards the corner of Yonge St and Gerrard St E in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. The Forum Building, in the archive photo, was replaced in 1924 by the Gerrard Building, designed by architects Sproatt and Rolph. Today, the heritage-designated façade of the Gerrard Building is part of the Concord Sky condo development
1918/2022 – Looking southeast towards the corner of Yonge St and Gerrard St E in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. The Forum Building, in the archive photo, was replaced in 1924 by the Gerrard Building, designed by architects Sproatt and Rolph. Today, the heritage-designated façade of the Gerrard Building is part of the Concord Sky condo development (Toronto Public Library TSPA_0110211F)

1977/2022 - Looking northwest towards the corner of Yonge St and Walton St just south of Gerrard St W in the Downtown Yonge area. Notice in the archive photo that Colosseum Pizza Spaghetti House once occupied the corner at 372 Yonge St. In the 1960s, Club Bluenote was located above the restaurant. The after-hours rhythm and blues dance hall played a role in the Yonge Street music scene
1977/2022 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Yonge St and Walton St just south of Gerrard St W in the Downtown Yonge area. Notice in the archive photo that Colosseum Pizza Spaghetti House once occupied the corner at 372 Yonge St. In the 1960s, Club Bluenote was located above the restaurant. The after-hours rhythm and blues dance hall played a role in the Yonge Street music scene (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 3, Item 21)

1970-72/2022 - Looking north up Yonge St from Gould St in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. Notice Sam the Record Man, A&A Records, Zanzibar Tavern, and the Rio Theatre on the right side of the archive photo. Zanzibar Tavern is still there today
1970-72/2022 – Looking north up Yonge St from Gould St in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. Notice Sam the Record Man, A&A Records, Zanzibar Tavern, and the Rio Theatre on the right side of the archive photo. Zanzibar Tavern is still there today (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 312, Item 61)

1912/2022 – Looking north from Simcoe St towards King St W in the Entertainment District of Toronto. Notice the Canadian General Electric Company Building in the centre-left, St Andrew Church on the right and in the archive photo, the future site of Roy Thomson Hall on the left
1912/2022 – Looking north from Simcoe St towards King St W in the Entertainment District of Toronto. Notice the Canadian General Electric Company Building in the centre-left, St Andrew Church on the right and in the archive photo, the future site of Roy Thomson Hall on the left (City of Toronto Archives, Series 372, Sub Series 58, Item 110)

1952/2022 – Looking northwest towards Olympia Bowling, later home to the World’s Biggest Bookstore, once located at 20 Edward St, west of Yonge St in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. The building that housed the bowling alley and bookstore was replaced with the present-day mixed-use structure
1952/2022 – Looking northwest towards Olympia Bowling, later home to the World’s Biggest Bookstore, once located at 20 Edward St, west of Yonge St in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. The building that housed the bowling alley and bookstore was replaced with the present-day mixed-use structure (City of Toronto Archives, Series 574, File 81, ID 491025)

1981/2022 – Looking northwest towards the World's Biggest Bookstore, once located at 20 Edward St, west of Yonge St in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. The building that housed the bookstore was replaced with the present-day mixed-use structure
1981/2022 – Looking northwest towards the World’s Biggest Bookstore, once located at 20 Edward St, west of Yonge St in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. The building that housed the bookstore was replaced with the present-day mixed-use structure (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 10, Item 3)

1981/1952 – Looking northwest towards Olympia Bowling, later home to the World’s Biggest Bookstore, once located at 20 Edward St, west of Yonge St in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. The building that housed the bowling alley and bookstore was replaced with the present-day mixed-use structure
1981/1952 – Looking northwest towards Olympia Bowling, later home to the World’s Biggest Bookstore, once located at 20 Edward St, west of Yonge St in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. The building that housed the bowling alley and bookstore was replaced with the present-day mixed-use structure (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 10, Item 3 & Series 574, File 81, ID 491025)

SOURCE