Past & Present – Part 14

1956/2022 - Looking northwest towards the Community Theatre once located at 1202 Woodbine Ave, north of Frater Ave in the Woodbine Heights neighbourhood of Toronto. Built and opening in 1937, architects Kaplan & Sprachman designed the theatre in the Art Deco style. The theatre marquee says “Property for Sale,” and after it closed in the mid-1950s, the theatre building became a rental storage warehouse. Today, the former theatre is home to retail space
1956/2022 – Looking northwest towards the Community Theatre once located at 1202 Woodbine Ave, north of Frater Ave in the Woodbine Heights neighbourhood of Toronto. Built and opening in 1937, architects Kaplan & Sprachman designed the theatre in the Art Deco style. The theatre marquee says “Property for Sale,” and after it closed in the mid-1950s, the theatre building became a rental storage warehouse. Today, the former theatre is home to retail space (City of Toronto Archives, Series 65, File 21, Item 10)

1937/2022 - The Community Theatre was once located at 1202 Woodbine Ave, north of Frater Ave on the west side. Built and opening in 1937, architects Kaplan & Sprachman designed the theatre in the Art Deco style. On the marquee, “College Holiday,” starring Jack Benny and Martha Raye, and “The General Died at Dawn,” starring Gary Cooper, were playing. Today, the former theatre building is home to retail space
1937/2022 – The Community Theatre was once located at 1202 Woodbine Ave, north of Frater Ave on the west side. Built and opening in 1937, architects Kaplan & Sprachman designed the theatre in the Art Deco style. On the marquee, “College Holiday,” starring Jack Benny and Martha Raye, and “The General Died at Dawn,” starring Gary Cooper, were playing. Today, the former theatre building is home to retail space (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1488, Series 1230, Item 1142)

1972/2022 - Looking southwest towards the corner of Richmond St E and Berkeley St, in the St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto
1972/2022 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Richmond St E and Berkeley St, in the St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 21, Item 29)

1972/2022 - Looking southeast towards the corner of Dundas St E and Parliament St in the Cabbagetown neighbourhood of Toronto. Notice The Gay Theatre, and originally the Bluebell Theatre, was once located at 309 Parliament St
1972/2022 – Looking southeast towards the corner of Dundas St E and Parliament St in the Cabbagetown neighbourhood of Toronto. Notice The Gay Theatre, and originally the Bluebell Theatre, was once located at 309 Parliament St (City of Toronto Archives, Fond 2032, Series 841, File 16, Item 6)

1977/2022 - Looking southwest from Yonge St and Gerrard St, in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto
1977/2022 – Looking southwest from Yonge St and Gerrard St, in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 3, Item 20)

2021/1912 - The Press Building, today known as the Administration Building, is located at 210 Princes’ Blvd at Exhibition Place. Built in 1905, the highly-decorative Beaux-Arts style structure was designed by architect George Wallace Gouinlock. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973
2021/1912 – The Press Building, today known as the Administration Building, is located at 210 Princes’ Blvd at Exhibition Place. Built in 1905, the highly-decorative Beaux-Arts style structure was designed by architect George Wallace Gouinlock. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 3019)

2020/1930 - The Shrine Peace Memorial is located in the Rose Garden on the south side of Exhibition Place. The figure is made of bronze, and the bench is made of Canadian white granite
2020/1930 – The Shrine Peace Memorial is located in the Rose Garden on the south side of Exhibition Place. The figure is made of bronze, and the bench is made of Canadian white granite (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 16, Series 71, Item 7973)

1976-87/2021 – The Horse Palace is located at 15 Nova Scotia Dr at Exhibition Place. Built in 1931, architect John James Woolnough designed the Art Deco style structure. Its construction was a joint agreement between the City of Toronto, the Province of Ontario and the Dominion of Canada to provide better horse accommodations. The equestrian facility has stables and a large ring and could initially accommodate 1,200 horses. Throughout the building are carvings and sculptural reliefs of horses. The building received heritage status from the city in 1979
1976-87/2021 – The Horse Palace is located at 15 Nova Scotia Dr at Exhibition Place. Built in 1931, architect John James Woolnough designed the Art Deco style structure. Its construction was a joint agreement between the City of Toronto, the Province of Ontario and the Dominion of Canada to provide better horse accommodations. The equestrian facility has stables and a large ring and could initially accommodate 1,200 horses. Throughout the building are carvings and sculptural reliefs of horses. The building received heritage status from the city in 1979 (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 365, Item 8)

Mid 1980s/2022 – Looking southeast from Yonge St just north of Queen St in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. Notice in the archive photo the domed Toronto Dominion Bank at 205 Yonge St, The Colonial Tavern next door, the Canadian Bank of Commerce headquarters at 197 Yonge St, which is today the entrance to Massey Tower, the JF Brown Building/Heintzman Hall at 193 Yonge St and Elgin Theatre, today is known as the Elgin and Winter Garden Theatre Centre
Mid 1980s/2022 – Looking southeast from Yonge St just north of Queen St in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. Notice in the archive photo the domed Toronto Dominion Bank at 205 Yonge St, The Colonial Tavern next door, the Canadian Bank of Commerce headquarters at 197 Yonge St, which is today the entrance to Massey Tower, the JF Brown Building/Heintzman Hall at 193 Yonge St and Elgin Theatre, today is known as the Elgin and Winter Garden Theatre Centre (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 428, Item 20)

1910/2020 – The Railways Building, today known as the Music Building, is located at 285 Manitoba Dr at Exhibition Place. Built in 1907, architect George Wallace Gouinlock designed the structure as a joint project for the Exhibition, Canadian Pacific Railway and Grand Trunk Railway. The three-octagon-topped building received heritage status from the city in 1973. Today, it's home to creative and commercial space
1910/2020 – The Railways Building, today known as the Music Building, is located at 285 Manitoba Dr at Exhibition Place. Built in 1907, architect George Wallace Gouinlock designed the structure as a joint project for the Exhibition, Canadian Pacific Railway and Grand Trunk Railway. The three-octagon-topped building received heritage status from the city in 1973. Today, it’s home to creative and commercial space (Toronto Public Library PC135)

2022/1930s - Looking northeast towards the corner of Yonge St and Shuter St in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. The building with the Cattos Dry Goods sign (notice the new tenants repurposed the Rialto Theatre’s sign and overhang) was built in1886 and known as the John E Thompson Block. The building on the northeast corner was renamed the Ryrie Building in 1913/14
2022/1930s – Looking northeast towards the corner of Yonge St and Shuter St in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. The building with the Cattos Dry Goods sign (notice the new tenants repurposed the Rialto Theatre’s sign and overhang) was built in1886 and known as the John E Thompson Block. The building on the northeast corner was renamed the Ryrie Building in 1913/14 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 45)

1978-80/2021– Looking southeast towards the corner of Yonge St and Shuter St, where the Rialto Theatre once occupied 219-221 Yonge St in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. The building was constructed in 1886 and is known as the John E Thompson Block. The building received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1973. Notice Massey Hall in the background on Shuter St
1978-80/2021– Looking southeast towards the corner of Yonge St and Shuter St, where the Rialto Theatre once occupied 219-221 Yonge St in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. The building was constructed in 1886 and is known as the John E Thompson Block. The building received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1973. Notice Massey Hall in the background on Shuter St (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 305, Item 6)

1956/2022 - Regent Theatre was once located at 225 Queen St E, west of Sherbourne St on the south side in the Moss Park/St Lawrence neighbourhoods of Toronto. The theatre building was replaced with the present-day structure and today is home to Anishnawbe Health Toronto
1956/2022 – Regent Theatre was once located at 225 Queen St E, west of Sherbourne St on the south side in the Moss Park/St Lawrence neighbourhoods of Toronto. The theatre building was replaced with the present-day structure and today is home to Anishnawbe Health Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Ken Webster Fonds, Fonds 251, Series 1278, File 12)

1970s/2022 - The Royal, originally Pylon Theatre, is located at 608 College St, east of Clinton St on the north side in the Little Italy neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1938/39, architect Benjamin Swartz designed the building in the Art Moderne style. The building received heritage status from the city in 2005
1970s/2022 – The Royal, originally Pylon Theatre, is located at 608 College St, east of Clinton St on the north side in the Little Italy neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1938/39, architect Benjamin Swartz designed the building in the Art Moderne style. The building received heritage status from the city in 2005 (City of Toronto Archives, Ken Webster Fonds, Fonds 251, Series 1278, File 137)

2022/1935 - The Dominion Public Building is located at‪ 1 Front St W,‬ between Bay St and Yonge St in the Financial District of Toronto. Built between 1929 and 1935, architect Thomas W Fuller designed the building in the Beaux-Arts Classicism style. The landmark received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1973 and was later listed on the Canadian Register in 2011
2022/1935 – The Dominion Public Building is located at ‪1 Front St W,‬ between Bay St and Yonge St in the Financial District of Toronto. Built between 1929 and 1935, architect Thomas W Fuller designed the building in the Beaux-Arts Classicism style. The landmark received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1973 and was later listed on the Canadian Register in 2011 (Library and Archives Canada a068224)

1960/2022 - Looking northwest towards the corner of Bloor St W and Gladstone Ave, in the Bloorcourt Village neighbourhood of Toronto. Once occupied by Albert’s Drugs, today the corner is home to Tim Hortons
1960/2022 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Bloor St W and Gladstone Ave, in the Bloorcourt Village neighbourhood of Toronto. Once occupied by Albert’s Drugs, today the corner is home to Tim Hortons (City of Toronto Archives, Ken Webster Fonds, Fonds 251, Series 1278, File 58)

1980s/2022 - Looking northwest towards the corner of Bloor St W and Gladstone Ave, in the Bloorcourt Village neighbourhood of Toronto
1980s/2022 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Bloor St W and Gladstone Ave, in the Bloorcourt Village neighbourhood of Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Ken Webster Fonds, Fonds 251, Series 1278, File 58)

1956/2022 - Looking west on Adelaide St W towards St Mary's Roman Catholic Church located at 130 Bathurst St in the Niagara neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1885/88, architect Joseph Connolly designed the church in the Gothic Revival style. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973 and Ontario Heritage Trust in 1982. Notice the building on the right, which was once St Mary's Catholic Literary and Athletic Association. Today it's home to the Factory Theatre
1956/2022 – Looking west on Adelaide St W towards St Mary’s Roman Catholic Church located at 130 Bathurst St in the Niagara neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1885/88, architect Joseph Connolly designed the church in the Gothic Revival style. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973 and Ontario Heritage Trust in 1982. Notice the building on the right, which was once St Mary’s Catholic Literary and Athletic Association. Today it’s home to the Factory Theatre (Toronto Public Library R-5634)

1954/2022 - Looking northwest towards the corner of Dundas St E and Parliament St in the Cabbagetown neighbourhood
1954/2022 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Dundas St E and Parliament St in the Cabbagetown neighbourhood (Toronto Public Library R-1221)

1903/2022 - Jemima and John Howard burial monument at High Park. It's surrounded by an iron fence which came from St Paul’s Cathedral in London, England and dates back to the early 1700s. The Howard’s owned Colborne Lodge, the historic home and now city-operated museum in Toronto’s beautiful High Park
1903/2022 – Jemima and John Howard burial monument at High Park. It’s surrounded by an iron fence which came from St Paul’s Cathedral in London, England and dates back to the early 1700s. The Howard’s owned Colborne Lodge, the historic home and now city-operated museum in Toronto’s beautiful High Park (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1587, Series 409, Item16)

2022/1920-26 – The Broadview Hotel at 106 Broadview Ave and Queen St E, in the Riverside neighbourhood. Built in 1891/92 as Dingman’s Hall, the Romanesque Revival style building was converted to The Broadview Hotel in 1907/08. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1975
2022/1920-26 – The Broadview Hotel at 106 Broadview Ave and Queen St E, in the Riverside neighbourhood. Built in 1891/92 as Dingman’s Hall, the Romanesque Revival style building was converted to The Broadview Hotel in 1907/08. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1975 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1488, Series 1230, Item 2515)

2022/1972 – Looking northwest towards The Broadview Hotel at 106 Broadview Ave and Queen St E, in the Riverside neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1891/92 as Dingman’s Hall, the Romanesque Revival style building was converted to The Broadview Hotel in 1907/08. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1975
2022/1972 – Looking northwest towards The Broadview Hotel at 106 Broadview Ave and Queen St E, in the Riverside neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1891/92 as Dingman’s Hall, the Romanesque Revival style building was converted to The Broadview Hotel in 1907/08. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1975 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 25, Item 18)

1953/2022 - Looking southwest towards the corner of Queen St W and York St. Today, the block is home to the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts and the Canadian Opera Company
1953/2022 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Queen St W and York St. Today, the block is home to the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts and the Canadian Opera Company (Toronto Public Library R-1098)

2022/1937 - Esquire Theatre, originally Lyndhurst Theatre, was once located at 2290 Bloor St W, east of Durie St on the north side in the Bloor West Village neighbourhood of Toronto. On the marquee, "Cafe Metropole," starring Tyrone Power and Loretta Young, and "Let's Get Married," starring Ida Lupino, were playing and both released in 1937. Today the building is home to retail space
2022/1937 – Esquire Theatre, originally Lyndhurst Theatre, was once located at 2290 Bloor St W, east of Durie St on the north side in the Bloor West Village neighbourhood of Toronto. On the marquee, “Cafe Metropole,” starring Tyrone Power and Loretta Young, and “Let’s Get Married,” starring Ida Lupino, were playing and both released in 1937. Today the building is home to retail space (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1488, Series 1230, Item 1149)

2020/1923 - Looking northeast towards the former Ideal Bread Company Factory, now the Argyle Lofts, located at 183-193 Dovercourt Rd and Argyle St in the Beaconsfield Village neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1919, Montreal architect Sydney Comber designed the structure in the Edwardian Classical style. The building received heritage status from the city in 2002
2020/1923 – Looking northeast towards the former Ideal Bread Company Factory, now the Argyle Lofts, located at 183-193 Dovercourt Rd and Argyle St in the Beaconsfield Village neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1919, Montreal architect Sydney Comber designed the structure in the Edwardian Classical style. The building received heritage status from the city in 2002 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1034, Item 839)

1990s/2022 – The Paradise Theatre is located at 1006 Bloor St W and Westmoreland Ave, on the northwest corner in the Bloorcourt Village neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1937, architect Benjamin Brown designed the theatre in magnificent Art Deco style. The building received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 2007. On the marquee, "The Crying Game," starring Stephen Rea, Jaye Davidson and Forest Whitaker and "Unforgiven," starring Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman and Morgan Freeman, were playing and both released in 1992
1990s/2022 – The Paradise Theatre is located at 1006 Bloor St W and Westmoreland Ave, on the northwest corner in the Bloorcourt Village neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1937, architect Benjamin Brown designed the theatre in magnificent Art Deco style. The building received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 2007. On the marquee, “The Crying Game,” starring Stephen Rea, Jaye Davidson and Forest Whitaker and “Unforgiven,” starring Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman and Morgan Freeman, were playing and both released in 1992 (Archives of Ontario File RG 56-11-0-311)

1937/2022 – The Paradise Theatre is located at 1006 Bloor St W and Westmoreland Ave, on the northwest corner of the Bloorcourt Village neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1937, architect Benjamin Brown designed the theatre in magnificent Art Deco style. The building received heritage status from the city in 2007
1937/2022 – The Paradise Theatre is located at 1006 Bloor St W and Westmoreland Ave, on the northwest corner of the Bloorcourt Village neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1937, architect Benjamin Brown designed the theatre in magnificent Art Deco style. The building received heritage status from the city in 2007. On the marquee, “One in a Million,” starring Sonja Henie, Adolphe Menjou and Don Ameche and “Sworn Enemy,” starring Robert Young, Florence Rice and Joseph Calleia, were playing and both released in 1936 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1488, Series 1230, Item 1150)

1930/2022 – Looking east from College St and Bay St in the Bay Cloverhill neighbourhood. Notice in the archive photo Eaton's College Street store on the right and the YMCA on the left
1930/2022 – Looking east from College St and Bay St in the Bay Cloverhill neighbourhood. Notice in the archive photo Eaton’s College Street store on the right and the YMCA on the left (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1266, Item 21914)

1929/2022 - Looking southeast from College St and Bay St. At one time, Eaton's College Street store extended to Bay St. Today, the southeast corner is home to a mixed-use building
1929/2022 – Looking southeast from College St and Bay St. At one time, Eaton’s College Street store extended to Bay St. Today, the southeast corner is home to a mixed-use building (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1266, Item 17970)

2022/1930 - Looking northwest from Yonge St towards the construction of the Eaton's College Street store. Today it's home to College Park. The building received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1973. Notice in the archive photo that Hayter St once intersected with Yonge St
2022/1930 – Looking northwest from Yonge St towards the construction of the Eaton’s College Street store. Today it’s home to College Park. The building received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1973. Notice in the archive photo that Hayter St once intersected with Yonge St (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1266, Item 19440)

1936-37/2022 - Oxford Theatre was once located at 1510 Danforth Ave, between Monarch Park Ave and Coxwell Ave in the East Danforth neighbourhood of Toronto. Today, the former theatre building is home to commercial space
1936-37/2022 – Oxford Theatre was once located at 1510 Danforth Ave, between Monarch Park Ave and Coxwell Ave in the East Danforth neighbourhood of Toronto. Today, the former theatre building is home to commercial space (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1488, Series 1230, Item 1136)

1919/2022 – The Odeon Theatre was once located at 1558 Queen St W, between Fuller Ave and Sorauren Ave on the north side in the Roncesvalles/Parkdale neighbourhood of Toronto. The former theatre building received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 2020 and today is home to F45 Training Parkdale
1919/2022 – The Odeon Theatre was once located at 1558 Queen St W, between Fuller Ave and Sorauren Ave on the north side in the Roncesvalles/Parkdale neighbourhood of Toronto. The former theatre building received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 2020 and today is home to F45 Training Parkdale (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, File 231, Item 758)

1927/2022 – Looking southeast towards the corner of Bloor St W at Balmuto St in the Yorkville neighbourhood of Toronto
1927/2022 – Looking southeast towards the corner of Bloor St W at Balmuto St in the Yorkville neighbourhood of Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Series 372, Sub Series 3, Item 688)

1972/2022– Looking southeast towards the corner of Bloor St W at Balmuto St in the Yorkville neighbourhood of Toronto. Notice the Uptown and Backstage Theatre in the background of the archive photo
1972/2022– Looking southeast towards the corner of Bloor St W at Balmuto St in the Yorkville neighbourhood of Toronto. Notice the Uptown and Backstage Theatre in the background of the archive photo (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 66, Item 23)

1972/2022– Looking southwest towards the corner of Bloor St W at Balmuto St in the Yorkville neighbourhood of Toronto. Once the site of Creeds, today it’s home to the Manulife Centre
1972/2022– Looking southwest towards the corner of Bloor St W at Balmuto St in the Yorkville neighbourhood of Toronto. Once the site of Creeds, today it’s home to the Manulife Centre (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 66, Item 22)

1943/2022 – Looking west along Bloor St W from Jane St in the Lambton Baby Point/Bloor West Village neighbourhoods. From the late-1940s to 2019, 2442 Bloor St W was home to the Odeon Humber Theatre/Humber Cinema. Notice Loblaws in the archive photo. Today, the former theatre site is under development
1943/2022 – Looking west along Bloor St W from Jane St in the Lambton Baby Point/Bloor West Village neighbourhoods. From the late-1940s to 2019, 2442 Bloor St W was home to the Odeon Humber Theatre/Humber Cinema. Notice Loblaws in the archive photo. Today, the former theatre site is under development (City of Toronto Archives, Series 372, Sub Series 58, Item 1643)

1924/2022 – Looking northwest towards Queen St W at University Ave. Notice the South African War Memorial in front of the Canada Life Building
1924/2022 – Looking northwest towards Queen St W at University Ave. Notice the South African War Memorial in front of the Canada Life Building (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 7363)

2022/1948 - Odeon Danforth Theatre, later Rex Danforth, was once located at 635 Danforth Ave, west of Pape Ave in the Greektown neighbourhood. Built in 1946/47 and designed by architect Jay Isadore English, the movie house opened on April 16, 1948. Today, the former theatre building is home to GoodLife Fitness
2022/1948 – Odeon Danforth Theatre, later Rex Danforth, was once located at 635 Danforth Ave, west of Pape Ave in the Greektown neighbourhood. Built in 1946/47 and designed by architect Jay Isadore English, the movie house opened on April 16, 1948. Today, the former theatre building is home to GoodLife Fitness (Archives of Ontario I0012598)

1943/2022 – Looking northeast towards the corner of Bloor St W at Jane St in the Bloor West Village neighbourhood of Toronto
1943/2022 – Looking northeast towards the corner of Bloor St W at Jane St in the Bloor West Village neighbourhood of Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Series 372, Sub Series 58, Item 1644)

SOURCE