Past & Present – Part 13

1972-80s/2020 - Looking northwest just north of Dundas St E on Parliament St in the Cabbagetown neighbourhood of Toronto
1972-80s/2020 – Looking northwest just north of Dundas St E on Parliament St in the Cabbagetown neighbourhood of Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 377, Item 28)

2021/1929 - Looking southwest towards the corner of Yonge St and Edward St. Notice in the archive photo that Darling Ladies Wear Ltd occupied the building at 320 Yonge St
2021/1929 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Yonge St and Edward St. Notice in the archive photo that Darling Ladies Wear Ltd occupied the building at 320 Yonge St (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 7320)

1952/1981/2022 – Looking northwest towards Olympia Bowling, later home to the World’s Biggest Bookstore, once located at 20 Edward St, west of Yonge St in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. The building that housed the bowling alley and bookstore was replaced with the present-day mixed-use structure
1952/1981/2022 – Looking northwest towards Olympia Bowling, later home to the World’s Biggest Bookstore, once located at 20 Edward St, west of Yonge St in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto. The building that housed the bowling alley and bookstore was replaced with the present-day mixed-use structure (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 10, Item 3 & Series 574, File 81, ID 491025)

1971/2020 - The former Robert Barron Stables complex was once located at 81 St Nicholas St just south of Charles St W in the Bay Cloverhill neighbourhood of Toronto. Designed by architect GW Gouinlock, the north portion of the building was constructed in 1895 and the south in 1911. The building received heritage status from the city in 1974
1971/2020 – The former Robert Barron Stables complex was once located at 81 St Nicholas St just south of Charles St W in the Bay Cloverhill neighbourhood of Toronto. Designed by architect GW Gouinlock, the north portion of the building was constructed in 1895 and the south in 1911. The building received heritage status from the city in 1974 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 2, Item 33)

Early 1970s/2021 - The Royal Theatre, originally Pylon, is located at 608 College St, east of Clinton St on the north side in the Little Italy neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1938/39, architect Benjamin Swartz designed the theatre in the Art Moderne style. The building received heritage status from the city in 2005. Notice in the archive photo Power grocery store and Vesuvio restaurant
Early 1970s/2021 – The Royal Theatre, originally Pylon, is located at 608 College St, east of Clinton St on the north side in the Little Italy neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1938/39, architect Benjamin Swartz designed the theatre in the Art Moderne style. The building received heritage status from the city in 2005. Notice in the archive photo Power grocery store and Vesuvio restaurant (City of Toronto Archives, Ken Webster Fonds, Fonds 251, Series 1278, File 137)

1955/2020 – Looking east from underneath The Royal, originally The Pylon Theatre marquee. The landmark theatre is located at 608 College St east of Clinton St on the north side in the Little Italy neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1938/39, architect Benjamin Swartz designed the building in the Art Moderne style. The building received heritage status from the city in 2005
1955/2020 – Looking east from underneath The Royal, originally The Pylon Theatre marquee. The landmark theatre is located at 608 College St east of Clinton St on the north side in the Little Italy neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1938/39, architect Benjamin Swartz designed the building in the Art Moderne style. The building received heritage status from the city in 2005 (York University Libraries, Clara Thomas Archives & Special Collections, Toronto Telegram fonds, ASC12910)

2022/1980s/1960 - Looking northwest towards the corner of Bloor St W and Gladstone Ave, in the Bloorcourt Village neighbourhood of Toronto. Once occupied by Albert’s Drugs, Color Your World and today, the corner is home to Tim Hortons
2022/1980s/1960 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Bloor St W and Gladstone Ave, in the Bloorcourt Village neighbourhood of Toronto. Once occupied by Albert’s Drugs, Color Your World and today, the corner is home to Tim Hortons (City of Toronto Archives, Ken Webster Fonds, Fonds 251, Series 1278, File 58)

1981/2021 – The Broadview Hotel at 106 Broadview Ave and Queen St E, in the Riverside neighbourhood. Built in 1891/92 as Dingman’s Hall, the Romanesque Revival style building was converted to The Broadview Hotel in 1907/08. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1975
1981/2021 – The Broadview Hotel at 106 Broadview Ave and Queen St E, in the Riverside neighbourhood. Built in 1891/92 as Dingman’s Hall, the Romanesque Revival style building was converted to The Broadview Hotel in 1907/08. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1975 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, Series 841, File 75, Item 72)

1972/2022 - Looking southeast from College St and Bay St. At one time, Eaton’s College Street store extended to Bay St. Today, the southeast corner is home to a mixed-use building
1972/2022 – Looking southeast from College St and Bay St. At one time, Eaton’s College Street store extended to Bay St. Today, the southeast corner is home to a mixed-use building (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 59, Item 7)

1958/2022 – Looking northwest towards Tamblyn and Zeller’s, once located on Bloor St W, between Yonge St and Bay St in the Yorkville neighbourhood
1958/2022 – Looking northwest towards Tamblyn and Zeller’s, once located on Bloor St W, between Yonge St and Bay St in the Yorkville neighbourhood (Canadian Architectural Archives, Panda Associates Fonds, PAN 58686-1-7)

1913/1953/2022 - Looking southwest towards the corner of Queen St W and York St. Today, the block is home to the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts and the Canadian Opera Company
1913/1953/2022 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Queen St W and York St. Today, the block is home to the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts and the Canadian Opera Company (Toronto Public Library R-1098 & R-4084)

2022/1910 – Looking east towards the West and East Wings of Osgoode Hall. Notice the Old City Hall clock tower in the distance
2022/1910 – Looking east towards the West and East Wings of Osgoode Hall. Notice the Old City Hall clock tower in the distance (Toronto Public Library R-3887)

1979/2022 – Looking northeast from Queen St W and University Ave towards Osgoode Hall and the Old City Hall clock tower in the background
1979/2022 – Looking northeast from Queen St W and University Ave towards Osgoode Hall with the Old City Hall clock tower in the background (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 13, Item 68)

1856/2022 – Looking north up York St from King St W towards Queen St W. Notice Osgoode Hall in the archive photo
1856/2022 – Looking north up York St from King St W towards Queen St W. Notice Osgoode Hall in the archive photo (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1498, Item 16)

1972/2022 - The Campbell House Museum is located at 160 Queen St W‬ and University Ave on the northwest corner in downtown Toronto. The Georgian-era home was built in 1822 by Sir William Campbell. Originally located on the north side of Adelaide St E (once Duke St) at the top end of Frederick St. The City and Canada Life Insurance Company agreed to move the home to the present location. The house received heritage status from the city in 1973
1972/2022 – The Campbell House Museum is located at 160 Queen St W‬ and University Ave on the northwest corner in downtown Toronto. The Georgian-era home was built in 1822 by Sir William Campbell. Originally located on the north side of Adelaide St E (once Duke St) at the top end of Frederick St. The City and Canada Life Insurance Company agreed to move the home to the present location. The house received heritage status from the city in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 57, Item 36)

1942/2022 - Looking northeast towards Centre Theatre that was once located at Dundas St W and Markham St. The theatre building no longer exists and was replaced with the present-day structure. Notice the Imperial Oil gasoline pump
1942/2022 – Looking northeast towards Centre Theatre that was once located at Dundas St W and Markham St. The theatre building no longer exists and was replaced with the present-day structure. Notice the Imperial Oil gasoline pump (City of Toronto Archives, Series 372, Sub Series 58, Item 1622)

1954/2022 - La Salle Theatre, originally Liberty Theatre, was once located at 526 Dundas St W, west of Spadina Ave on the north side in Toronto's Chinatown/Kensington Market neighbourhood. On the marquee, "The Iron Mistress," starring Alan Ladd and Virginia Mayo and "Plymouth Adventure," starring Gene Tierney, Spencer Tracy and Van Johnson, were playing. In the early-1970s, it became the Pagoda Theatre, screening Chinese movies until the mid-1980s
1954/2022 – La Salle Theatre, originally Liberty Theatre, was once located at 526 Dundas St W, west of Spadina Ave on the north side in Toronto’s Chinatown/Kensington Market neighbourhood. On the marquee, “The Iron Mistress,” starring Alan Ladd and Virginia Mayo and “Plymouth Adventure,” starring Gene Tierney, Spencer Tracy and Van Johnson, were playing. In the early-1970s, it became the Pagoda Theatre, screening Chinese movies until the mid-1980s (Toronto Public Library R-5365)

1940s/2022 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Bloor St W at Manning Ave in Toronto's Koreatown neighbourhood. Notice Metro Theatre was once located at 677 Bloor St W. The building still stands today and is home to Basecamp Climbing Bloor West
1940s/2022 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Bloor St W at Manning Ave in Toronto’s Koreatown neighbourhood. Notice Metro Theatre was once located at 677 Bloor St W. The building still stands today and is home to Basecamp Climbing Bloor West (City of Toronto Archives, Ken Webster Fonds, Fonds 251, Series 1278, File 110)

1945/2020 - Dominion Pub and Kitchen, originally the Dominion Hotel, is located at 500 Queen St E and Sumach St, on the northwest corner in the Regent Park/Corktown neighbourhood. Built in 1889/90 for Robert T. Davies, architect David Roberts Jr designed the building. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973
1945/2020 – Dominion Pub and Kitchen, originally the Dominion Hotel, is located at 500 Queen St E and Sumach St, on the northwest corner in the Regent Park/Corktown neighbourhood. Built in 1889/90 for Robert T. Davies, architect David Roberts Jr designed the building. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 521)

1960/2022 - University Theatre was once located at 100 Bloor St W, west of Bay St on the north side in the Bloor-Yorkville neighbourhood. On the marquee, “Ben-Hur,” starring Charlton Heston, Jack Hawkins and Stephen Boyd, was playing. On the archive picture, notice the Park Plaza Hotel and Holt Renfrew
1960/2022 – University Theatre was once located at 100 Bloor St W, west of Bay St on the north side in the Bloor-Yorkville neighbourhood. On the marquee, “Ben-Hur,” starring Charlton Heston, Jack Hawkins and Stephen Boyd, was playing. On the archive picture, notice the Park Plaza Hotel and Holt Renfrew (City of Toronto Archives, Series 648, File 70, ID 11)

2022/1920s - Looking northwest towards the corner of Queen St W and Noble St, west of Dufferin St in the Parkdale neighbourhood of Toronto
2022/1920s – Looking northwest towards the corner of Queen St W and Noble St, west of Dufferin St in the Parkdale neighbourhood of Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1488, Series 1230, Item 2555)

1920s/2022 - Family Theatre was once located at 2175 Queen St E, east of Lee Ave on the south side in Toronto’s The Beaches neighbourhood. Next to the theatre is Tamblyn Drugs. It was the first store of Gordon Tamblyn, who founded the Canadian pharmacy chain in 1904
1920s/2022 – Family Theatre was once located at 2175 Queen St E, east of Lee Ave on the south side in Toronto’s The Beaches neighbourhood. Next to the theatre is Tamblyn Drugs. It was the first store of Gordon Tamblyn, who founded the Canadian pharmacy chain in 1904 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1488, Series 1230, Item 2782)

2022/1939 - Looking northeast towards the corner of Bloor St W and Lansdowne Ave. Hasty Market is a Canadian-owned and operated corporation with over 150 stores across Ontario. Tamblyn Drugs was a chain of Canadian pharmacies founded in 1904 by Gordon Tamblyn
2022/1939 – Looking northeast towards the corner of Bloor St W and Lansdowne Ave. Hasty Market is a Canadian-owned and operated corporation with over 150 stores across Ontario. Tamblyn Drugs was a chain of Canadian pharmacies founded in 1904 by Gordon Tamblyn (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1653, Series 975, File 12997)

1980/2022 – Looking northeast towards the Lansdowne Theatre, originally the Park Theatre, once located at 683-685 Lansdowne Ave, north of Bloor St W on the east side in the Wallace Emerson/Bloordale Village neighbourhood of Toronto. Today, the site is home to retail space
1980/2022 – Looking northeast towards the Lansdowne Theatre, originally the Park Theatre, once located at 683-685 Lansdowne Ave, north of Bloor St W on the east side in the Wallace Emerson/Bloordale Village neighbourhood of Toronto. Today, the site is home to retail space (Toronto Public Library LOCHIST-BL-080)

1963/2022 - The Opera House, originally La Plaza Theatre, is located at 735 Queen St E and Lewis St, east of Broadview Ave. Built in 1909, architect Charles Wagner designed the structure. The building received heritage status from the city in 1984
1963/2022 – The Opera House, originally La Plaza Theatre, is located at 735 Queen St E and Lewis St, east of Broadview Ave. Built in 1909, architect Charles Wagner designed the structure. The building received heritage status from the city in 1984 (City of Toronto Archives, Ken Webster Fonds, Fonds 251, Series 1278, File 97)

1954/2022 - Artscape Youngplace, originally Givens Street Public School, is located at 180 Shaw St and Argyle St, on the southwest corner in the Trinity-Bellwoods neighbourhood. Built in 1914, architect Charles Hartnoll Bishop designed the school. The building received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 2000. Today the former school building is home to Artscape Youngplace, a community cultural hub with studios occupied by artists and organizations
1954/2022 – Artscape Youngplace, originally Givens Street Public School, is located at 180 Shaw St and Argyle St, on the southwest corner in the Trinity-Bellwoods neighbourhood. Built in 1914, architect Charles Hartnoll Bishop designed the school. The building received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 2000. Today the former school building is home to Artscape Youngplace, a community cultural hub with studios occupied by artists and organizations (Toronto Public Library R-6171)

1975/2022 - Osgoode Hall is located at 130 Queen St W‬ and University Ave, on the northeast corner. Construction began on the East Wing of Osgoode Hall in 1829, and through the years, there have been various additions, including the West Wing and Centre Building. In the background is the Canada Life Building, located at ‪330 University Ave, just north of Queen St W. Completed in 1931, architects, Sproatt & Rolph designed the historic second-generation skyscraper. In 1973, both downtown properties received heritage status from the city
1975/2022 – Osgoode Hall is located at 130 Queen St W‬ and University Ave, on the northeast corner. Construction began on the East Wing of Osgoode Hall in 1829, and through the years, there have been various additions, including the West Wing and Centre Building. In the background is the Canada Life Building, located at ‪330 University Ave, just north of Queen St W. Completed in 1931, architects, Sproatt & Rolph designed the historic second-generation skyscraper. In 1973, both downtown properties received heritage status from the city (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 14, Item 14)

1919/2022 - Looking southwest towards Toronto-Dominion Centre at the corner of King St W and Bay St in the Financial District. Remnants of the former Bank of Toronto building (in the vintage photo) were reconstructed to form the open-air Greek Theatre at Guild Park & Gardens
1919/2022 – Looking southwest towards Toronto-Dominion Centre at the corner of King St W and Bay St in the Financial District. Remnants of the former Bank of Toronto building (in the vintage photo) were reconstructed to form the open-air Greek Theatre at Guild Park & Gardens (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 846)

2022/1940s  - Looking southeast towards the Commerce Court at King St W and Bay St in the Financial District. Notice the Toronto Telegram building on the far right in the vintage photo, and in both photos, the Canadian Bank of Commerce Building on the left
2022/1940s – Looking southeast towards the Commerce Court at King St W and Bay St in the Financial District. Notice the Toronto Telegram building on the far right in the vintage photo, and in both photos, the Canadian Bank of Commerce Building on the left (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 410)

2022/circa 1927 – York St looking south from Osgoode Hall on Queen St W
2022/circa 1927 – York St looking south from Osgoode Hall on Queen St W (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 7182)

1914/2020 - St George’s Greek Orthodox Church, originally Holy Blossom Synagogue, is located at 115 Bond St, north of Dundas St E in the Downtown Yonge area. Built in 1895/97, architect John Winston Siddall designed the church in the Richardsonian Romanesque architectural style with Moorish elements. The Greek Orthodox Community purchased the building in 1937
1914/2020 – St George’s Greek Orthodox Church, originally Holy Blossom Synagogue, is located at 115 Bond St, north of Dundas St E in the Downtown Yonge area. Built in 1895/97, architect John Winston Siddall designed the church in the Richardsonian Romanesque architectural style with Moorish elements. The Greek Orthodox Community purchased the building in 1937 (Toronto Public Library TSPA_0111007F)

1931/2021 - Toronto Fire Station 131 is located at 3135 Yonge St and Wanless Ave, on the southeast corner in Toronto's Yonge and Lawrence neighbourhood. Built in 1930/31 as Fire Hall Number 34, architect John James Woolnough designed the structure. The building received heritage status from the city in 1981
1931/2021 – Toronto Fire Station 131 is located at 3135 Yonge St and Wanless Ave, on the southeast corner in Toronto’s Yonge and Lawrence neighbourhood. Built in 1930/31 as Fire Hall Number 34, architect John James Woolnough designed the structure. The building received heritage status from the city in 1981 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1266, Item 22701)

1905/2022 - Toronto Fire Station #227 is located at 1904 Queen St E and Herbert Ave, on the northwest corner of Toronto's Beaches neighbourhood. Built in 1905/06, architect Robert McCallum designed the fire station, which was also once named Kew Beach Fire Hall and Fire Hall #17. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973
1905/2022 – Toronto Fire Station #227 is located at 1904 Queen St E and Herbert Ave, on the northwest corner of Toronto’s Beaches neighbourhood. Built in 1905/06, architect Robert McCallum designed the fire station, which was also once named Kew Beach Fire Hall and Fire Hall #17. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Series 372, Sub Series 41, Item 803)

1967/2020 - Gibson House Museum is located at 5172 Yonge St, north of Park Home Ave, hidden between the high rises in North York. Built in 1851, the red brick Georgian Revival farmhouse belonged to the Gibson family. The building received heritage status from the city in 1980
1967/2020 – Gibson House Museum is located at 5172 Yonge St, north of Park Home Ave, hidden between the high rises in North York. Built in 1851, the red brick Georgian Revival farmhouse belonged to the Gibson family. The building received heritage status from the city in 1980 (City of Toronto Archives, City of North York Fonds, Fonds 217, Series 249, File 90, Item 1)

2021/1972 – Looking north towards Bloor St W from Balmuto St, just west of Yonge St in the Yorkville area of Toronto. Once Zellers occupied the site, today it’s home to Holt Renfrew
2021/1972 – Looking north towards Bloor St W from Balmuto St, just west of Yonge St in the Yorkville area of Toronto. Once Zellers occupied the site, today it’s home to Holt Renfrew (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 66, Item 21)

1979/2022 – Looking west towards 42 to 46 Yonge St, south of Wellington St W in Downtown Toronto
1979/2022 – Looking west towards 42 to 46 Yonge St, south of Wellington St W in Downtown Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 4, Item 60)

1928/2021 – Looking northwest towards the Concourse Building at the corner of Adelaide St W and Sheppard St - built in 1928, two of its original facades remain on the south and east sides – now EY Tower
1928/2021 – Looking northwest towards the Concourse Building at the corner of Adelaide St W and Sheppard St – built in 1928, two of its original facades remain on the south and east sides – now EY Tower (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 444, Item 3)

Source