Past & Present – Part 12

Posted:

1980s/2022 – Looking southeast on Yonge St from Isabella St
1980s/2022 – Looking southeast on Yonge St from Isabella St (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds, Series 1465, File 610, Item 5)

1944/1974 - Hollywood Theatre was once located at 1519 Yonge St, north of St Clair Ave on the east side. Notice the original building was still there in 1974. Today the building that housed the theatre no longer exists and has been replaced with the present-day structure
1944/1974 – Hollywood Theatre was once located at 1519 Yonge St, north of St Clair Ave on the east side. Notice the original building was still there in 1974. Today the building that housed the theatre no longer exists and has been replaced with the present-day structure (Archives of Ontario I0012592 & City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 1, Item 10)

1975/2020 - Hollywood Theatre was once located at 1519 Yonge St, north of St Clair Ave on the east side. The building that housed the theatre no longer exists, and it was replaced with the present-day structure
1975/2020 – Hollywood Theatre was once located at 1519 Yonge St, north of St Clair Ave on the east side. The building that housed the theatre no longer exists, and it was replaced with the present-day structure (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 1, Item 12)

2022/1955 - Looking west along Queen St E from Rainsford Rd. For 119 years, the site was home to Greenwood Raceway/old Woodbine Racetrack. Today, the west portion of the former racetrack’s property is Woodbine Park, and the east is residential housing
2022/1955 – Looking west along Queen St E from Rainsford Rd. For 119 years, the site was home to Greenwood Raceway/old Woodbine Racetrack. Today, the west portion of the former racetrack’s property is Woodbine Park, and the east is residential housing (Toronto Public Library R-3578)

2022/1927 – Looking northwest towards the Dineen Building at the corner of Yonge St and Temperance St in the Financial District. Built in 1897 for Dineen Company, a hat and fur manufacturer, architect Frederick Henry Herbert designed the building in the Renaissance Revival style. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1973. Today the building is home to Dineen Coffee Co
2022/1927 – Looking northwest towards the Dineen Building at the corner of Yonge St and Temperance St in the Financial District of Toronto. Built in 1897 for Dineen Company, a hat and fur manufacturer, architect Frederick Henry Herbert designed the building in the Renaissance Revival style. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1973. Today the building is home to Dineen Coffee Co (Toronto Public Library TSPA_0112847F)

1950s/2022 – Looking north up Yonge St from south of Temperance St
1950s/2022 – Looking north up Yonge St from south of Temperance St (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 8938)

Circa 1912/2022 - Looking southeast towards the corner of Bay St and Temperance St in Toronto's Financial District. Notice the advertising pointing in the direction of Star Theatre Burlesque. Also, the building with the tower was a fire station
Circa 1912/2022 – Looking southeast towards the corner of Bay St and Temperance St in Toronto’s Financial District. Notice the advertising pointing in the direction of Star Theatre Burlesque. Also, the building with the tower was a fire station (Toronto Public Library B13-26)

2022/1979 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Yonge St and Wellington St W in Downtown Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 4, Item 60)
2022/1979 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Yonge St and Wellington St W in Downtown Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 4, Item 60)

2022/1977 – Looking west towards 38 to 46 Yonge St, south of Wellington St W in Downtown Toronto
2022/1977 – Looking west towards 38 to 46 Yonge St, south of Wellington St W in Downtown Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 4, Item 42)

1980s/2022 - Looking northwest from Queen St E and Victoria St towards the back of the Elgin and Winter Garden Theatre Centre. Built in 1913/14, Marcus Loew hired architects Thomas W Lamb and Stanley Makepeace to design the Edwardian-style double-decker theatres
1980s/2022 – Looking northwest from Queen St E and Victoria St towards the back of the Elgin and Winter Garden Theatre Centre. Built in 1913/14, Marcus Loew hired architects Thomas W Lamb and Stanley Makepeace to design the Edwardian-style double-decker theatres (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 428, Item 9)

1949/2022 - Looking southeast towards the corner of Parliament St and Gerrard St E where The Hotel Gerrard once stood in the Regent Park neighbourhood of Toronto
1949/2022 – Looking southeast towards the corner of Parliament St and Gerrard St E where The Hotel Gerrard once stood in the Regent Park neighbourhood of Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Series 372, Sub Series 33b, Item 0099)

1972/2022 – Looking southeast towards the corner of Parliament St and Gerrard St E in the Cabbagetown/Regent Park neighbourhoods of Toronto
1972/2022 – Looking southeast towards the corner of Parliament St and Gerrard St E in the Cabbagetown/Regent Park neighbourhoods of Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 32, Item 4)

1952/2022 - Toronto Hydro-Electric System/Richard R Horkins Building is located at 14 Carlton St, east of Yonge St in the Church and Wellesley neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1932/33, architects Chapman & Oxley designed the structure in the Art Deco style. The building received heritage status from the city in 1974. Notice the Odeon Carlton Theatre, which was once next to the Hydro building
1952/2022 – Toronto Hydro-Electric System/Richard R Horkins Building is located at 14 Carlton St, east of Yonge St in the Church and Wellesley neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1932/33, architects Chapman & Oxley designed the structure in the Art Deco style. The building received heritage status from the city in 1974. Notice the Odeon Carlton Theatre, which was once next to the Hydro building (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 127)

1952/2020 - Toronto Fire Station 312 is located at 34 Yorkville Ave‬, west of Yonge St in the Yorkville neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1876, architects Hancock & Townsend designed the fire station. In 1889, except for the tower, that structure was demolished and replaced with today's fire hall, designed by Mancel Willmot. The station received heritage status from the city in 1973
1952/2020 – Toronto Fire Station 312 is located at 34 Yorkville Ave‬, west of Yonge St in the Yorkville neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1876, architects Hancock & Townsend designed the fire station. In 1889, except for the tower, that structure was demolished and replaced with today’s fire hall, designed by Mancel Willmot. The station received heritage status from the city in 1973 (Toronto Public Library R-1899)

April 17, 2022/Circa 1920 - The Wallace Avenue Footbridge is located between Wallace Ave and Dundas St W in the Junction Triangle and West Bend neighbourhoods of Toronto. 

Built in 1907, the bridge was constructed to give pedestrians access between the two streets in an area with a busy railway corridor running through it. The West Bend neighbourhood sits to the west of the railway lines and the Junction Triangle to its east
April 17, 2022/Circa 1920 – The Wallace Avenue Footbridge is located between Wallace Ave and Dundas St W in the Junction Triangle and West Bend neighbourhoods of Toronto.

Built in 1907, the bridge was constructed to give pedestrians access between the two streets in an area with a busy railway corridor running through it. The West Bend neighbourhood sits to the west of the railway lines and the Junction Triangle to its east (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 200, Series 376, File 5, Item 90)

1932/2021 - Looking west towards the Bloor St W railway underpass and the West Toronto Railpath between Perth Ave and Dundas St W
1932/2021 – Looking west towards the Bloor St W railway underpass and the West Toronto Railpath between Perth Ave and Dundas St W (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 16, Series 71, Item 9179)

1925/2021 - Looking east along Bloor St W towards Perth Ave from the railway overpass
1925/2021 – Looking east along Bloor St W towards Perth Ave from the railway overpass (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 16, Series 71, Item 3950)

Between 1980-85/May 2022 – – Looking east towards the corner of Yorkville Ave and Avenue Rd, in the Yorkville neighbourhood of Toronto
Between 1980-85/May 2022 – – Looking east towards the corner of Yorkville Ave and Avenue Rd, in the Yorkville neighbourhood of Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 340, Item 16)

March 2021/ April 2022 – Looking east toward the corner of Yorkville Ave and Avenue Rd, in the Yorkville neighbourhood of Toronto
March 2021/ April 2022 – Looking east toward the corner of Yorkville Ave and Avenue Rd, in the Yorkville neighbourhood of Toronto

1938/2021 – Looking east towards the corner of Yonge St and Gerrard St E. Once, the Coronet Theatre, originally named Biltmore Savoy Theatre, occupied the corner
1938/2021 – Looking east towards the corner of Yonge St and Gerrard St E. Once, the Coronet Theatre, originally named Biltmore Savoy Theatre, occupied the corner (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 94)

1972/2020 – Looking northeast towards the corner of Jarvis St and Wellesley St E in the Upper Jarvis neighbourhood. Located behind the gas station is The Keg Mansion at 515 Jarvis St. The mansion was once the residence of the Massey family
1972/2020 – Looking northeast towards the corner of Jarvis St and Wellesley St E in the Upper Jarvis neighbourhood. Located behind the gas station is The Keg Mansion at 515 Jarvis St. The mansion was once the residence of the Massey family (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, File, 49 Item 25)

2022/1930-40s - Harbord Collegiate Institute, also known as HCI, is located at 286 Harbord St, between Euclid Ave and Manning Ave on the north side in the Palmerston-Little Italy neighbourhood. The present-day school was built in 1931. Architect Charles Edmund Cyril Dyson designed the school in the Romanesque Revival style. The building received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1974
2022/1930-40s – Harbord Collegiate Institute, also known as HCI, is located at 286 Harbord St, between Euclid Ave and Manning Ave on the north side in the Palmerston-Little Italy neighbourhood. The present-day school was built in 1931. Architect Charles Edmund Cyril Dyson designed the school in the Romanesque Revival style. The building received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1974 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 258 – date of photo between 1930 and 1949)

1947/2022 – The College Theatre was once located at the northwest corner of College St and Dovercourt Rd in the Dufferin Grove neighbourhood. The theatre was torn down and was replaced with the present-day structure
1947/2022 – The College Theatre was once located at the northwest corner of College St and Dovercourt Rd in the Dufferin Grove neighbourhood. The theatre was torn down and was replaced with the present-day structure (Archives of Ontario 10012587)

1920s/2022 - Harbord Collegiate Institute is located at 286 Harbord St, between Euclid Ave and Manning Ave on the north side in the Palmerston-Little Italy neighbourhood. The original school was built in 1890-91, and architects Knox & Elliot designed the former building in the Jacobean Revival style
1920s/2022 – Harbord Collegiate Institute is located at 286 Harbord St, between Euclid Ave and Manning Ave on the north side in the Palmerston-Little Italy neighbourhood. The original school was built in 1890-91, and architects Knox & Elliot designed the former building in the Jacobean Revival style (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 272)

2022/1960 - The Yorkville Branch of the Toronto Public Library is located at 22 Yorkville Ave, west of Yonge St on the north side. Built in 1906/07, it's the Toronto Public Library's oldest building. City architect Robert McCallum designed the library in the Beaux-Arts style. It's constructed of yellow brick with Ohio sandstone. The structure received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1973, and it's located next door to Toronto Fire Station 312
2022/1960 – The Yorkville Branch of the Toronto Public Library is located at 22 Yorkville Ave, west of Yonge St on the north side. Built in 1906/07, it’s the Toronto Public Library’s oldest building. City architect Robert McCallum designed the library in the Beaux-Arts style. It’s constructed of yellow brick with Ohio sandstone. The structure received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1973, and it’s located next door to Toronto Fire Station 312 (Canadian Architectural Archives, Panda Associates Fonds, PAN 60150-1)

Late 1930s/2022 – Looking southeast along College St towards Dovercourt Rd. Notice the West End YMCA and The Canadian Bank of Commerce, now Starbucks Coffee
Late 1930s/2022 – Looking southeast along College St towards Dovercourt Rd. Notice the West End YMCA and The Canadian Bank of Commerce, now Starbucks Coffee (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1488, Series 1230, Item 5088)

August 15, 2021/November 22, 1921 – Originally York Theatre, later the Capitol, its entrance was at 2492 Yonge St. The auditorium building in the rear of the property was preserved when the present-day structure was completed in early 1920s. On the marquee, "Cappy Ricks," starring Thomas Meighen and Charles S Abbe, was playing. In the vintage photo, the building on the right is the Dominion grocery store
August 15, 2021/November 22, 1921 – Originally York Theatre, later the Capitol, its entrance was at 2492 Yonge St. The auditorium building in the rear of the property was preserved when the present-day structure was completed in early 1920s. On the marquee, “Cappy Ricks,” starring Thomas Meighen and Charles S Abbe, was playing. In the vintage photo, the building on the right is the Dominion grocery store (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 7241485 – James Victor Salmon photographer)

November 29, 1933/August 15, 2021 – Looking northwest towards Yonge St and Castlefield Ave. Originally York Theatre and also known as York Eglinton, once occupied the building at 2492 Yonge St. In the early 1920s, it was renamed the Capitol Theatre until it closed in 1998
November 29, 1933/August 15, 2021 – Looking northwest towards Yonge St and Castlefield Ave. Originally York Theatre and also known as York Eglinton, once occupied the building at 2492 Yonge St. In the early 1920s, it was renamed the Capitol Theatre until it closed in 1998 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 1485 – James Victor Salmon photographer)

Source

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

24,817FollowersFollow
103FollowersFollow
8,850FollowersFollow