Past & Present – Part 11

1980s/2019 - The Opera House, originally La Plaza Theatre and later The Off-Broadway Theatre, is located at 735 Queen St E and Lewis St, on the southwest corner. Built in 1909, architect Charles Wagner designed the theatre. The building received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1984
1980s/2019 – The Opera House, originally La Plaza Theatre and later The Off-Broadway Theatre, is located at 735 Queen St E and Lewis St, on the southwest corner. Built in 1909, architect Charles Wagner designed the theatre. The building received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1984 (Toronto Public Library LOCHIST-RD-104)

1990/2020 - Hollywood Theatre was once located at 1519 Yonge St, north of St Clair Ave on the east side. The building that housed the theatre no longer exists and it was replaced with the present-day structure
1990/2020 – Hollywood Theatre was once located at 1519 Yonge St, north of St Clair Ave on the east side. The building that housed the theatre no longer exists and it was replaced with the present-day structure (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 188, Item 8)

2022/1979 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Yonge St and Wellington St W in Downtown Toronto
2022/1979 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Yonge St and Wellington St W in Downtown Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 4, Item 60)

1979/2021 – Looking west towards 46 Yonge St and Wellington St W in Downtown Toronto. The building was once home to National Wholesale
1979/2021 – Looking west towards 46 Yonge St and Wellington St W in Downtown Toronto. The building was once home to National Wholesale (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 4, Item 60)

1933/2022 - Toronto Hydro-Electric System/Richard R Horkins Building is located at 14 Carlton St, east of Yonge St in the Church and Wellesley neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1932/33, architects Chapman & Oxley designed the structure in the Art Deco style. The building received heritage status from the city in 1974. Notice Maple Leaf Gardens in the background in the 1933 picture
1933/2022 – Toronto Hydro-Electric System/Richard R Horkins Building is located at 14 Carlton St, east of Yonge St in the Church and Wellesley neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1932/33, architects Chapman & Oxley designed the structure in the Art Deco style. The building received heritage status from the city in 1974. Notice Maple Leaf Gardens in the background in the 1933 picture (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 1662)

1980s/2022 – Looking southeast between Bathurst St and Markham St along Bloor St W. Honest Ed’s opened in 1948 and was in that location until Dec 31, 2016
1980s/2022 – Looking southeast between Bathurst St and Markham St along Bloor St W. Honest Ed’s opened in 1948 and was in that location until Dec 31, 2016 (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 515, Item 3)

1874/2021 - Looking north up Toronto St towards the General Post Office once located at 38-42 Adelaide St E. Today the land is home to the Mackenzie Building
1874/2021 – Looking north up Toronto St towards the General Post Office once located at 38-42 Adelaide St E. Today the land is home to the Mackenzie Building (Toronto Public Library R-5946)

1963/2022 – Looking southwest from Old City Hall at Queen St W and Bay St. Notice the Broadway Theatre and Union House once stood where the Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel is today
1963/2022 – Looking southwest from Old City Hall at Queen St W and Bay St. Notice the Broadway Theatre and Union House once stood where the Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel is today (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 124, File 1, ID 102)

1972/2022 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Queen St W and Spadina Ave. It was once home to the Auditorium, Avenue, Mary Pickford and Variety Theatre
1972/2022 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Queen St W and Spadina Ave. It was once home to the Auditorium, Avenue, Mary Pickford and Variety Theatre (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 47, Item 31)

1980/2022 – Looking northwest towards Toronto Fire Station 312 located at 34 Yorkville Ave. Built in 1876, architects Hancock & Townsend designed the fire station. In 1889, except for the tower, that structure was demolished and replaced with today’s fire hall, designed by Mancel Willmot
1980/2022 – Looking northwest towards Toronto Fire Station 312 located at 34 Yorkville Ave. Built in 1876, architects Hancock & Townsend designed the fire station. In 1889, except for the tower, that structure was demolished and replaced with today’s fire hall, designed by Mancel Willmot (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 124, File 3, ID 78)

2022/1972 – Looking southeast from University Ave towards Front St W, Union Station, the Walker House and the Cyclorama building. Today Citigroup Place occupies the site of the hotel and Cyclorama buildings
2022/1972 – Looking southeast from University Ave towards Front St W, Union Station, the Walker House and the Cyclorama building. Today Citigroup Place occupies the site of the hotel and Cyclorama buildings (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 62, Item 1)

1950/2021 - Looking southwest towards the corner of Yonge St and Elm St in Downtown Toronto. Allen Stores Limited once occupied the building
1950/2021 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Yonge St and Elm St in Downtown Toronto. Allen Stores Limited once occupied the building (Brigdens Limited Photography & City of Toronto Archives, Series 574, File 14, Item ID 493)

Circa 1980/2021 - Looking southwest towards the corner of Yonge St and Elm St in Downtown Toronto. The second building south of the corner was built in 1921. Architect John M Lyle designed the limestone building for Thornton-Smith an interior design and furniture company. The building received heritage status from the city in 1974
Circa 1980/2021 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Yonge St and Elm St in Downtown Toronto. The second building south of the corner was built in 1921. Architect John M Lyle designed the limestone building for Thornton-Smith an interior design and furniture company. The building received heritage status from the city in 1974 (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 307, Item 11)

2021/circa1980 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Yonge St and Elm St. The corner building 348-350 Yonge St received heritage status from the city in 2019
2021/circa1980 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Yonge St and Elm St. The corner building 348-350 Yonge St received heritage status from the city in 2019 (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 307, Item 1)

Circa 1912/2021 – The Dufferin Hotel was once located at the northwest corner of Bloor St W and Dufferin St. From the 1907 Toronto City Directory, the address was 1130 Bloor St W with Angus Kerr as the hotel proprietor
Circa 1912/2021 – The Dufferin Hotel was once located at the northwest corner of Bloor St W and Dufferin St. From the 1907 Toronto City Directory, the address was 1130 Bloor St W with Angus Kerr as the hotel proprietor (Toronto Public Library R-4517)

1953/2021 - The Black Horse Restaurant and Bar is located at 928 Bloor St W, one block west of Ossington Ave in the Bloorcourt Village neighbourhood of Toronto. The building the restaurant resides in was built in 1892 for M Ryan and received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1980
1953/2021 – The Black Horse Restaurant and Bar is located at 928 Bloor St W, one block west of Ossington Ave in the Bloorcourt Village neighbourhood of Toronto. The building the restaurant resides in was built in 1892 for M Ryan and received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1980 (Toronto Public Library R-3749)

1945/2021 – Linsmore Tavern (established in 1934 as the Linsmore Hotel) is located at 1298 Danforth Ave and Linnsmore Cr, on the northwest corner in Toronto's Danforth neighbourhood. It's located right next to the Greenwood Subway Station
1945/2021 – Linsmore Tavern (established in 1934 as the Linsmore Hotel) is located at 1298 Danforth Ave and Linnsmore Cr, on the northwest corner in Toronto’s Danforth neighbourhood. It’s located right next to the Greenwood Subway Station (Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 0528)

1936/2021 - Originally Bayview Theatre, later Bayview Playhouse, was once at 1605 Bayview Ave in the Leaside neighbourhood. Built in 1936, architects Kaplan and Sprachman designed the theatre in the Art Deco style. Today, the building is home to Shoppers Drug Mart
1936/2021 – Originally Bayview Theatre, later Bayview Playhouse, was once at 1605 Bayview Ave in the Leaside neighbourhood. Built in 1936, architects Kaplan and Sprachman designed the theatre in the Art Deco style. Today, the building is home to Shoppers Drug Mart (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1488, Series 1230, Item 1112)

2021/1990s – Looking toward the mural, painted by artist Bill Wrigley, at the northeast corner of Adelaide St W and Widmer St in Downtown Toronto
2021/1990s – Looking toward the mural, painted by artist Bill Wrigley, at the northeast corner of Adelaide St W and Widmer St in Downtown Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 51, Item 82)

1980/2021 – Looking towards the northeast corner of Adelaide St W and Widmer St in Downtown Toronto. The houses at 302-308 Adelaide St W are included on the city's 2017 heritage register and are also part of the King-Spadina Heritage Conservation District
1980/2021 – Looking towards the northeast corner of Adelaide St W and Widmer St in Downtown Toronto. The houses at 302-308 Adelaide St W are included on the city’s 2017 heritage register and are also part of the King-Spadina Heritage Conservation District (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 6, Item 16)

1950/2021 - Canadian Blood Services, originally the Victoria Hospital For Sick Children, is located at 67 College St and Elizabeth St, on the southeast corner in the Discovery District of Toronto. Built in 1889/91, architect Darling & Curry designed the former hospital in the Richardsonian Romanesque style. Its generous benefactor was J Ross Robertson, founder of the Toronto Telegram. The hospital opened in 1892 and moved out in 1951. The building received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1973 and Ontario Heritage Trust in 1975
1950/2021 – Canadian Blood Services, originally the Victoria Hospital For Sick Children, is located at 67 College St and Elizabeth St, on the southeast corner in the Discovery District of Toronto. Built in 1889/91, architect Darling & Curry designed the former hospital in the Richardsonian Romanesque style. Its generous benefactor was J Ross Robertson, founder of the Toronto Telegram. The hospital opened in 1892 and moved out in 1951. The building received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1973 and Ontario Heritage Trust in 1975 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1128, Series 380, Item 155)

2020/1947 – The Alhambra Theatre was once located at 568 Bloor St W, on the north side, west of Bathurst St. The theatre opened in 1910 as the King George. It became the Alhambra in 1920, later renamed the Baronet in 1969, and the Eve Theatre followed in 1972. The building was demolished in the mid-1980s is currently home to retail shops
2020/1947 – The Alhambra Theatre was once located at 568 Bloor St W, on the north side, west of Bathurst St. The theatre opened in 1910 as the King George. It became the Alhambra in 1920, later renamed the Baronet in 1969, and the Eve Theatre followed in 1972. The building was demolished in the mid-1980s is currently home to retail shops (Archives of Ontario I0020596)

1950/2021 - CAA Theatre is located at 651-653 Yonge St, south of Charles St on the east side, in the Church and Wellesley neighbourhood. The theatre has had a few name changes during its time, originally the Victoria, later Embassy, Astor, New Yorker, Showcase, Festival and Panasonic. Built in 1912, the 2½ storey Second Empire style structure received heritage status from the city in 2016
1950/2021 – CAA Theatre is located at 651-653 Yonge St, south of Charles St on the east side, in the Church and Wellesley neighbourhood. The theatre has had a few name changes during its time, originally the Victoria, later Embassy, Astor, New Yorker, Showcase, Festival and Panasonic. Built in 1912, the 2½ storey Second Empire style structure received heritage status from the city in 2016 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1128, Series 380, Item 288)

1982/2021 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Dundas St W and Mavety St, one block west of Keele St, in Toronto's Junction neighbourhood
1982/2021 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Dundas St W and Mavety St, one block west of Keele St, in Toronto’s Junction neighbourhood (Toronto Public Library LOCHIST-AN-003)

Mid-1930s/2021 - Apollo Theatre, originally the Crystal, was once located at 2901 Dundas St W, west of Keele St on the south side in The Junction neighbourhood. Built in 1888, architect Abraham B Pipher originally designed the structure for a block of stores. The building received heritage status from the city in 2005
Mid-1930s/2021 – Apollo Theatre, originally the Crystal, was once located at 2901 Dundas St W, west of Keele St on the south side in The Junction neighbourhood. Built in 1888, architect Abraham B Pipher originally designed the structure for a block of stores. The building received heritage status from the city in 2005 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1488, Series 1230, Item 1105)

1952/2020 – The Alumnae Theatre Company in the former Berkeley Street Fire Hall No. 4 at 70 Berkeley St and Adelaide St E, on the southwest corner in the St Lawrence neighbourhood. Built in 1905, architect Alexander Frank Wickson designed the fire hall in the Edwardian Classical style. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973
1952/2020 – The Alumnae Theatre Company in the former Berkeley Street Fire Hall No. 4 at 70 Berkeley St and Adelaide St E, on the southwest corner in the St Lawrence neighbourhood. Built in 1905, architect Alexander Frank Wickson designed the fire hall in the Edwardian Classical style. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 124, File 3, ID 41)

1947/2021 - Originally Allen's Danforth Theatre, today The Danforth Music Hall, is located at 147 Danforth Ave, east of Broadview Ave in the Riverdale neighbourhood. Built in 1919, architects Hymes, Feldman & Watson designed the theatre in the Georgian Revival style. The building received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1985
1947/2021 – Originally Allen’s Danforth Theatre, today The Danforth Music Hall, is located at 147 Danforth Ave, east of Broadview Ave in the Riverdale neighbourhood. Built in 1919, architects Hymes, Feldman & Watson designed the theatre in the Georgian Revival style. The building received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1985 (Archives of Ontario I0021770)

2021/1910 - Looking northeast towards the Confederation Life Building at ‪20 Richmond St E, between Yonge St and Victoria St in Downtown Toronto. The Romanesque Revival style structure features French Gothic elements. It was built in 1890/92 and designed by architects Knox, Elliot & Jarvis. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973 and from Ontario Heritage Trust two years later
2021/1910 – Looking northeast towards the Confederation Life Building at ‪20 Richmond St E, between Yonge St and Victoria St in Downtown Toronto. The Romanesque Revival style structure features French Gothic elements. It was built in 1890/92 and designed by architects Knox, Elliot & Jarvis. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973 and from Ontario Heritage Trust two years later (Toronto Public Library PCR-2172)

1911/2020 – Looking northeast towards Victoria St and Richmond St E – notice the McCarron House once at the southeast corner of Queen St E and Victoria St on the southeast corner
1911/2020 – Looking northeast towards Victoria St and Richmond St E – notice the McCarron House once at the southeast corner of Queen St E and Victoria St on the southeast corner (Toronto Public Library R-6216)

1919/2021 – Allen Theatre, later named Tivoli, was once located at Victoria St and Richmond St E on the southwest corner – today Cambridge Suites Toronto occupies the space
1919/2021 – Allen Theatre, later named Tivoli, was once located at Victoria St and Richmond St E on the southwest corner – today Cambridge Suites Toronto occupies the space (Toronto Public Library B13-75)

2021/1981 - The National Club, founded in 1874, is located at 303 Bay St, between Adelaide St W and King St W, on the east side in Downtown Toronto. Built in 1906/07, architects Curry, Sproatt & Rolph designed the red brick building in Neo-Georgian style. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973 and Ontario Heritage Trust in 1976
2021/1981 – The National Club, founded in 1874, is located at 303 Bay St, between Adelaide St W and King St W, on the east side in Downtown Toronto. Built in 1906/07, architects Curry, Sproatt & Rolph designed the red brick building in Neo-Georgian style. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973 and Ontario Heritage Trust in 1976 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 124, File 3, ID 81)

2020/1928 – Originally called the Occident Hall, today CB2 occupies the space at 651 Queen St W and Bathurst St, on the southeast corner in the Fashion District. Built in 1876 for the Masonic Order, architects McCaw & Lennox designed the building in the Second Empire style. The structure received heritage status from the city in 2016 – notice that the top floor no longer exists
2020/1928 – Originally called the Occident Hall, today CB2 occupies the space at 651 Queen St W and Bathurst St, on the southeast corner in the Fashion District. Built in 1876 for the Masonic Order, architects McCaw & Lennox designed the building in the Second Empire style. The structure received heritage status from the city in 2016 – notice that the top floor no longer exists (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 1162)

1990s/2020 – Originally called the Occident Hall, today CB2 occupies the space at 651 Queen St W and Bathurst St, on the southeast corner in the Fashion District. Built in 1876 for the Masonic Order, architects McCaw & Lennox designed the building in the Second Empire style. The structure received heritage status from the city in 2016
1990s/2020 – Originally called the Occident Hall, today CB2 occupies the space at 651 Queen St W and Bathurst St, on the southeast corner in the Fashion District. Built in 1876 for the Masonic Order, architects McCaw & Lennox designed the building in the Second Empire style. The structure received heritage status from the city in 2016 (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 51, ID 79)

1972/2021 - Jarvis Collegiate Institute, originally known as Jarvis Street Collegiate Institute, is located at ‪495 Jarvis St‬ and Wellesley St E on the southeast corner of the Upper Jarvis neighbourhood. Built in 1922/23, architect Charles Edmund Cyril Dyson designed the school in the Collegiate Gothic style. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1991. The school was founded in 1807 and was the first public high school in Toronto
1972/2021 – Jarvis Collegiate Institute, originally known as Jarvis Street Collegiate Institute, is located at ‪495 Jarvis St‬ and Wellesley St E on the southeast corner of the Upper Jarvis neighbourhood. Built in 1922/23, architect Charles Edmund Cyril Dyson designed the school in the Collegiate Gothic style. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1991. The school was founded in 1807 and was the first public high school in Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 49, Item 26)

1955/2020 - Gibraltar Point Lighthouse is located on the Toronto Islands. It was built in 1806/08 by stonemason John Thomson. In use for almost 150 years, its light was extinguished one final time at the end of the 1957 shipping season. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1973
1955/2020 – Gibraltar Point Lighthouse is located on the Toronto Islands. It was built in 1806/08 by stonemason John Thomson. In use for almost 150 years, its light was extinguished one final time at the end of the 1957 shipping season. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 536, Item 318)

2021/1920  – The Dominion Bank once stood at the southwest corner of Queen St W and Bay St. Today, the corner is home to TD Bank - notice the former Temple Building behind the bank
2021/1920 – The Dominion Bank once stood at the southwest corner of Queen St W and Bay St. Today, the corner is home to TD Bank – notice the former Temple Building behind the bank (Toronto Public Library TSPA_0109491F)

2022/1928 – Looking southeast towards Queen St W and Bay St – the new Simpson Store in the background in the 1928 photo
2022/1928 – Looking southeast towards Queen St W and Bay St – the new Simpson Store in the background in the 1928 photo (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1266, Item 13141)

1960s/2022 – Queen St W and Bay St, southeast corner – notice the Bay Theatre, formerly Colonial Theatre once, at 45 Queen St W, which closed in 1965
1960s/2022 – Queen St W and Bay St, southeast corner – notice the Bay Theatre, formerly Colonial Theatre once, at 45 Queen St W, which closed in 1965 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 124, File 15, Item ID 16)

1984-98/2020 - Factory Theatre is located at 125 Bathurst St and Adelaide St W, on the northeast corner in the Fashion District. A combination of two buildings, the house fronting Bathurst St was built in 1869 and is known as the John Mulvey House. The extension facing Adelaide St W that houses the theatres was built in 1909/10 by St Mary's Parish as their literary and athletic club
1984-98/2020 – Factory Theatre is located at 125 Bathurst St and Adelaide St W, on the northeast corner in the Fashion District. A combination of two buildings, the house fronting Bathurst St was built in 1869 and is known as the John Mulvey House. The extension facing Adelaide St W that houses the theatres was built in 1909/10 by St Mary’s Parish as their literary and athletic club (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 51, Item 62)

SOURCE